Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ywgckp
New travel restrictions tomorrow, by the sounds of it.

It's ridiculous at this point. Travel restrictions do nothing about the thousands of new Omicron cases a day in Canada, and waste testing resources that could be used elsewhere.
Source?
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jlisi984
Source?

And newly added to the PM's schedule - a conference call with the premier's tonight to discuss.

https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/itineraries...cember-14-2021
jlisi984 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:25 pm

Also this:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...medium=twitter
jlisi984 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by ywgckp
Is it against the rules if I say "Blah blah blah blah blah blah" . .eventually nobody is going to follow any rules . . . just saying.

Just out here tonight in Zurich with 30 Canadians in Zurich and the consensus is that the Canadian government is completely incompetent . . . and nobody would bother to follow any recommended or required restrictions. Get on with life !!!! Like we are here . . .
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Is it against the rules if I say "Blah blah blah blah blah blah" . .eventually nobody is going to follow any rules . . . just saying.

Just out here tonight in Zurich with 30 Canadians in Zurich and the consensus is that the Canadian government is completely incompetent . . . and nobody would bother to follow any recommended or required restrictions. Get on with life !!!! Like we are here . . .
This. The "non-essential travel advisory" is 100% stupid and useless.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by capedreamer
This. The "non-essential travel advisory" is 100% stupid and useless.
Useless unless and until it gets used as an excuse by travel insurers to deny out of Canada medical coverage.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
Useless unless and until it gets used as an excuse by travel insurers to deny out of Canada medical coverage.
If you interpret my "useless" as "useless in dissuading Canadians from traveling abroad", then I agree.

But I actually meant it both as that and as "useless in fighting Covid even if Canadians stop traveling abroad". For a few reasons:
  1. Omicron is already in Canada and being transmitted through community spread.
  2. Conclusive data on Omicron's lethality remains elusive, but there is at least some reason to believe Omicron could be highly transmissible but less lethal, which would make it a very welcome development (path to herd immunity given a ceiling on vaccination due to hesitancy).
  3. There is also strong evidence that boosters are highly effective in preventing transmission of Omicron. Which invites the question: why is Canada lagging behind the US / UK / EU on booster administration?? Earlier in the year, vaccine supply was the issue. But what's the excuse at this point?
  4. Even if #2 turns out to be overly optimistic, continuing to deploy blunt tools like travel restrictions when we have vaccines will wear out the goodwill of even otherwise rule-following and community-minded people. There is a real cost to mental health that's not being measured, and at some point, people will have had it and stop listening to the government altogether.
EDIT: FT can't handle links with Tweet links properly so my sources for #2 and #3 are below:

FlyerJ and The Lev like this.

Last edited by capedreamer; Dec 14, 2021 at 5:08 pm
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Banning non-citizens already - well opening-up that didn't last long, did it?

My wife and I both have both shots + booster (UK based), but she won't be worthy to enter this year, just like last Christmas, because of her passport. I was hoping the government would a least last until we made it in on Monday to bring in the performative border closures.

Question is will they bring back the punitive quarantine for citizens as well...
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL- PM, AA-PlatPro
I'm so tired of this craziness. I'm Canadian, my husband is a US Citizen (triple vaccinated). In the past have spouses of citizens been able to enter? I think we're all so tired of jumping through the pointless hoops, especially to take care of essential business that requires you be there in person.
LETTERBOY, leoo and jackmaninov like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:41 pm

Coming at this as an MD with an MSc in Epi:

1) Travel restrictions at this point are a low value intervention - it's already here
2) We're pretty confident that in the next few weeks we'll see case numbers higher than they have been before (I think this is almost a certainty)
3) It might be less severe - but there's far less confidence in that statement - we'll know more once we get good data out of the UK and Norway - cases take a while to turn into ICU patients. Even then, it'd have to be markedly less severe to counteract the higher case numbers
4) Until we know more - some restrictions are prudent - but it's ridiculous to waste time testing travellers when you're letting 20,000 people gather in arenas. I have NHL season tickets - I would gladly get on a plane tomorrow but I'm definitely not going to the rink anytime soon. But travellers make a more compelling political target than sports fans.
The Lev, Yul_voyager and hoipolloi like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by lewinr
Frankly I dont understand why it should be necessary at all to register with Switch... their system should simply be integrated with ArriveCan and they should get all the necessary data from there.
You’re missing the point - which is to make it as aggravating as possible so people will give up and stop travelling.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 6:39 pm

The Globe (and others) is reporting:

Two sources sources told The Globe and Mail that Ottawa wants to bring back its advisory against non-essential travel. That advisory was only lifted in October. Its reintroduction could cause massive disruptions just one week before Christmas.

If this is indeed what they do, what would be the practical implications for Canadians with international travel plans? I understand travel insurance will be voided and flight schedules might be impacted as airlines respond to reduced demand. But if all they do is resume the advisory that was in place until October, I took multiple international trips between March 2020 and October 2021.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:24 pm

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...ions-1.6285823
The proposed measures included whether to implement a ban on all non-essential foreign travellers into Canada, including from the United States, and stricter quarantine and testing measures for travellers who are allowed into Canada, including returning Canadians and permanent residents.
I just hope they don't bring back hotel quarantine 😩
capedreamer likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Came from Puerta Vallarta Mexico and arrived at YUL yesterday. Selected for random (for now) arrival testing.
Done at 11 pm last night - by Dynacare.

Flew home today to Ottawa.

Results pending.

Called dynacare (before midnight) - she said 24-48 hours. Called second agent -he said no way to say - it could be up to 5 business days (although he says it is usually 24-48 hours).

Any experience?
Results (negative for both of us) emailed to us at 7:30 pm . So the turn around time was 20.5 hours.
airoli likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by capedreamer
The Globe (and others) is reporting:

If this is indeed what they do, what would be the practical implications for Canadians with international travel plans? I understand travel insurance will be voided and flight schedules might be impacted as airlines respond to reduced demand. But if all they do is resume the advisory that was in place until October, I took multiple international trips between March 2020 and October 2021.

One practical implication - covid travel insurance not applicable if travel advisory in place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.