Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I wonder if the hotels in the program will honour corporate discount rates.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
I wonder if the hotels in the program will honour corporate discount rates.
Most dumpy 1.5-star hotels by the airport that typically rent rooms by the hour don’t offer corporate discounts.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
the text of the order in council...affects air travelers flying to a US border city...clarifies as I read it that an American based negative test is the only acceptable test ie not the negative test used to board the originating flight. You are actually better off having had covid and recovered (antigen response). Common sense aside, one would think that having been innoculated outside Canada should be a valid acceptable condition as well given that you hve had an antigen response. but it is not. I checked around and it is not easy to find a test facility that will readily administer tests to non US citizens and if so, prices are obviously significant.

edit...confused if below clause replaces the US testing requirement which is missing from this replacement textAmendments to this Order

15 (1) Subsection 1.1‍(1) of this Order is replaced by the following:

Entering by means other than aircraft — COVID-19 molecular test and suitable quarantine plan

1.1(1) Every person, before or when entering Canada by any means other than aircraft, must

(a) subject to subsection (2), if the person enters Canada by land and is five years of age or older, provide to the Minister of Health, screening officer or quarantine officer, as the case may be, evidence containing the following elements that they received either a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was performed on a specimen collected no more than 72 hours before entering Canada or a positive result for the test that was performed on a specimen collected at least 14 days and no more than 90 days before entering Canada:

amended text below with result that test need not be conducted in the US for border crossings?

Entering by means other than aircraft — COVID-19 molecular test and quarantine plan

1.1(1) Every person, before or when entering Canada by a mode of transport other than an aircraft, must

(a) subject to subsection (2), if the person enters Canada by land and is five years of age or older, provide to the Minister of Health, screening officer or quarantine officer, as the case may be, evidence containing the following elements that they received either a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was performed in the United States on a specimen collected no more than 72 hours before entering Canada or a positive result for the test that was performed either in or outside of the United States on a specimen collected at least 14 days and no more than 90 days before entering Canada:

Last edited by testycal; Feb 16, 2021 at 11:25 am
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:10 am

Follow up...if the order in council requires the airline to ensure that the prepaid hotel stay is in place, and the person feels they are within an exempted class, to be discussed when you arrive in Canada, does one pay upfront and then seek reimbursement together with whatever cancellation fees are applied? Perhaps the government has an agreement that if you are exempted you receive your full money back IF that exemption is officialy taken. For consideration.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jix
The full text of the order is now out.

https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/...=40249&lang=en

They added scenarios to exclude full hotel quaratine for those that leave to seek medical care, attending sports events, and other compassionate grounds.

There's also a vague exception for exclusion if one participates in projects (I'm assuming the YYC pilot project) but not sure.
Why is attending sporting events either essential or compassionate? Could the snowbirds currently in Florida just go to spring practice or even some junior high or pick-up game in a park? Just buy a ticket to something as proof and don't even go? It also seems to include the recent super-spreader event known as the SuperBowl. I fail to see any logic here.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by jix
The full text of the order is now out.

They added scenarios to exclude full hotel quaratine for those that leave to seek medical care, attending sports events, and other compassionate grounds.

There's also a vague exception for exclusion if one participates in projects (I'm assuming the YYC pilot project) but not sure.
I've been following the new quarantine requirements with interest/dread, since my family lives outside Canada, and I plan to visit them this year whether the government likes it or not. I've found this forum very helpful, and decided to post.

I read through the above new rules, and noted a few details that haven't been specified:

1) Per paragraph 1.01 (a), you're supposed to remain at the quarantine hotel until you receive a negative result from the entry test. What happens if by the time you need to checkout on day 3, your result has not arrived yet? Would you need to remain at the hotel indefinitely (paying another $2000 for every three days), go to the government quarantine facility as if you've tested positive, or able to leave and go home for the remaining time?

2) Per 1.01 (c), it's as if the default quarantine period is now 28 days, and you need to receive a negative result on the second test done during your quarantine in order to make it 14. Would be good to get more details on how this second test will be performed, if it's a self-administered test, whether someone will come pick it up, or if you need to mail it yourself somehow.

3) Per 1.4 (b), you need to keep evidence of negative test results, I'm assuming in case you get a visit and need to show proof. So it sounds like the government won't have a record of negative test results?
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why is attending sporting events either essential or compassionate? Could the snowbirds currently in Florida just go to spring practice or even some junior high or pick-up game in a park? Just buy a ticket to something as proof and don't even go? It also seems to include the recent super-spreader event known as the SuperBowl. I fail to see any logic here.
This is sporting events in Canada and would allow entry to a competition for officials or athletes in rare cases. I'm sure this is a clause that could be used if NHL players were traded, for example, or officials attending an international competition/event within a bubble.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
So I didn't realize they also give you a 2nd covid test to take home to take at a later date. Is this required or optional?
Old Feb 16, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
That is unfortunate, and I will still continue to seek clarification. It feels very wrong that an American could come to Canada from the US for medical treatment, and avoid quarantine completely, but a Canadian cannot return to Canada without being detained after receiving medical treatment not available here.
@mapleloaf Seems like you're not the only one looking for exemptions.

Old Feb 16, 2021, 2:51 pm

Free covid testing Seattle area...specifically states anyone including non residents but note turn around time
Old Feb 16, 2021, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by testycal
the text of the order in council...affects air travelers flying to a US border city...clarifies as I read it that an American based negative test is the only acceptable test ie not the negative test used to board the originating flight. You are actually better off having had covid and recovered (antigen response). Common sense aside, one would think that having been innoculated outside Canada should be a valid acceptable condition as well given that you hve had an antigen response. but it is not. I checked around and it is not easy to find a test facility that will readily administer tests to non US citizens and if so, prices are obviously significant.

edit...confused if below clause replaces the US testing requirement which is missing from this replacement textAmendments to this Order

15 (1) Subsection 1.1‍(1) of this Order is replaced by the following:

Entering by means other than aircraft — COVID-19 molecular test and suitable quarantine plan

1.1(1) Every person, before or when entering Canada by any means other than aircraft, must

(a) subject to subsection (2), if the person enters Canada by land and is five years of age or older, provide to the Minister of Health, screening officer or quarantine officer, as the case may be, evidence containing the following elements that they received either a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was performed on a specimen collected no more than 72 hours before entering Canada or a positive result for the test that was performed on a specimen collected at least 14 days and no more than 90 days before entering Canada:

amended text below with result that test need not be conducted in the US for border crossings?

Entering by means other than aircraft — COVID-19 molecular test and quarantine plan

1.1(1) Every person, before or when entering Canada by a mode of transport other than an aircraft, must

(a) subject to subsection (2), if the person enters Canada by land and is five years of age or older, provide to the Minister of Health, screening officer or quarantine officer, as the case may be, evidence containing the following elements that they received either a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was performed in the United States on a specimen collected no more than 72 hours before entering Canada or a positive result for the test that was performed either in or outside of the United States on a specimen collected at least 14 days and no more than 90 days before entering Canada:

I think you’re right! Logic must have prevailed. It made no sense to accept a non-US test to board a flight but not when driving.

it doesn’t seem to be updated elsewhere. For example on this lovely infographic

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ph...19-land-en.pdf
Old Feb 16, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
If you fly home via a U.S. airport and drive across the land border, you will need to present a negative Covid test taken in the U.S. My interpretation is if you're originating in another country like a Caribbean island for example, you would need two tests - one before flying to the U.S. and then another one taken in the U.S. before driving to Canada. Many U.S. hub airports have clinics that offer the rapid ID Now tests (not free, around $200 or so) that provide results in 15 minutes. So while the government has created some obstacles when using the land border method, it's not impossible to overcome and still less draconian than paying for a 3-night hotel prison.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerAl
If you fly home via a U.S. airport and drive across the land border, you will need to present a negative Covid test taken in the U.S. My interpretation is if you're originating from another country like a Caribbean island for example, you would need two tests - one before flying to the U.S. and then another one taken in the U.S. before driving to Canada. Many U.S. hub airports have clinics that offer the rapid ID Now tests (not free, around $200 or so) that provide results in 15 minutes. So while the government has created some obstacles when using the land border method, it's not impossible to overcome and still less draconian than paying for a 3-night hotel prison.
Those rapid tests are not accepted by Canada. PCR only. Can take several days for results.

also, see post above which appears to show they have relaxed the requirements of the test being administered in the US.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Youponder
Those rapid tests are not accepted by Canada. PCR only. Can take several days for results.

also, see post above which appears to show they have relaxed the requirements of the test being administered in the US.
If I'm not mistaken, the rapid ID Now test falls under the category of a "NAAT" test. The travel.gc.ca website lists the following as accepted test types:
  • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
  • Ct (cycle threshold)
  • CRISPR
  • Sequencing
  • Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
  • Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
  • Detection of the N gene
  • Detection of Orf1a/b
  • Detection of the S gene
  • Detection of the E gene
  • Detection of the RdRp gene
These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample. At this time, proof of having a vaccine will not replace a negative test result.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerAl
If I'm not mistaken, the rapid ID Now test falls under the category of a "NAAT" test. The travel.gc.ca website lists the following as accepted test types:
  • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)

Would be very useful to know if that is accurate.

I checked XpressCheck . They list something called a molecular covid test below, but does not specify the type of test.

https://www.xprescheck.com/#about-tests

Rapid Molecular COVID Test

With this test, a sterile swab is inserted into your nose to take a sample. The sample is checked right in our lab for active COVID-19 virus. Results are available while you wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.