Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2021, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Finkface
[*]A person who enters Canada for the purpose of receiving essential medical services or treatments within 36 hours of entering Canada, other than services or treatments related to COVID-19
If they are using "essential" in sort of the same sense as has happened for medical procedures that have been getting categorized as "elective" when US and Canadian medical facilities have cut back on service due to Covid-19 concerns, the "essential medical services"-based exemption may turn out differently than expected by some.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If they are using "essential" in sort of the same sense as has happened for medical procedures that have been getting categorized as "elective" when US and Canadian medical facilities have cut back on service due to Covid-19 concerns, the "essential medical services"-based exemption may turn out differently than expected by some.
I copied it exactly from the list. Plus, essential is subjective. Urgent dental care (toothache) definitely falls under the exemption. Yes, I know this to be true.

You may be exempt from the mandatory quarantine requirements under certain conditions, including if you:
  • provide essential services
  • maintain the flow of essential goods or people
  • are receiving medical care within 36 hours of entering Canada (non-related to COVID-19)
Old Feb 12, 2021, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If "essential" is subjective, then that may be where some people may face problems getting an exemption even as many others may not face any problem getting the exemption.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
If "essential" is subjective, then that may be where some people may face problems getting an exemption even as many others may not face any problem getting the exemption.
And therein lies the problem. Far, far too many exemptions. And why we are in the mess we are in.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 13, 2021 at 11:17 am
Old Feb 13, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Essential is so subjective that the result may be different each time for the same person. Look at my example. I work in the water treatment industry and I do hands-on technical work that has to be done on the customer's site. That would make me an essential worker. Since the pandemic started, I returned to Canada 7 times. All work trips. My score is 4:3. Meaning I was granted exemption 4 times of the 7. That is one of the reasons why I hate this quarantine hotel idiocy. Do I have to book the hotel if I'm returning from a work trip or not? What happens if I don't book it and will be denied? Are there any cancellation fees in case I book the quarantine hotel and don't need it? Also, how to book the last flight of my trip if I don't know if I have to stay at a quarantine hotel or not and if yes, I don't know for how long? I guess I'll be driving home from YYZ for the foreseeable future. Or from DTW. It is the same distance to YXU and I don't have to worry about this idiocy. After all, there is always the risk of catching the virus in the quarantine hotel. Happened in other countries, will happen in Canada too.

Last edited by WildcatYXU; Feb 13, 2021 at 11:50 am
Old Feb 13, 2021, 2:13 pm

Stick with DTW or BUF for the ~2-hour drive to YXU and avoid YYZ. Problem solved.
LETTERBOY and jlisi984 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 3:26 pm

This will make flying into the US from an international location and driving across the border more complex

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...o-canada#types

How you plan to arrive

Planning to arrive by land

As of February 15, 2021, travellers entering Canada by land must provide proof of a valid COVID-19 molecular test result taken in the U.S. upon arrival at the border. Some travellers, like commercial truckers, will be exempt from these measures.

So if you fly to the US from Mexico with a Mexican lab PCR test, that won’t be sufficient to drive across the border? You’ll need to get another US based test and hang around for the results before making the drive across?
Old Feb 14, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC SE
So if you fly to the US from Mexico with a Mexican lab PCR test, that won’t be sufficient to drive across the border? You’ll need to get another US based test and hang around for the results before making the drive across?
Great question. Maybe that's exactly what they're trying to prevent.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Youponder
This will make flying into the US from an international location and driving across the border more complex

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...o-canada#types

How you plan to arrive

Planning to arrive by land

As of February 15, 2021, travellers entering Canada by land must provide proof of a valid COVID-19 molecular test result taken in the U.S. upon arrival at the border. Some travellers, like commercial truckers, will be exempt from these measures.

I drove into Canada yesterday. Border guard rolled his eyes and laughed that $3,000 is the maximum fine like $750,000 for breaching quarantine. He said I’d likely just get a warning if I showed up with no covid test. If you got your test in Mexico in good faith you should be fine.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Feb 15, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Old Feb 14, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Or just add 3 days somewhere in the US prior to your return home? It’s not like there are any direct flights from sun destinations anyway.

btw We got home from Mexico Dec31 and got an email last Monday from the Ontario Ministry of Health reminding us of our quarantine obligations. Oh the joys of government efficiency! They did send an apology Friday for the error. From the sound of it some recipients were quite upset about the initial email. I just chalked it up to regular govt incompetence.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:41 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I drove into Canada yesterday. Border guard rolled his eyes and laughed that $3,000 is the maximum fine like $750,000 for breaching quarantine. He said I’d likely just get a warning if I showed up with no covid test. If you got your test in Mexico in good faith you should be fine.

unless you have a border agent with an agenda. Having said that, I have encountered that heading south with Amercian border agenst ... heading north to Canada I have had nothing but good experiences ie courtesy, straight to the point, flexibility etc even when paying duties and taxes. All good.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by testycal
unless you have a border agent with an agenda. Having said that, I have encountered that heading south with Amercian border agenst ... heading north to Canada I have had nothing but good experiences ie courtesy, straight to the point, flexibility etc even when paying duties and taxes. All good.
Since covid started my experience over 10+ trips has been the exact opposite and I am a dual citizen. Canada is always a major hassle with 1,000 questions and the US is always welcome home.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Feb 15, 2021 at 2:33 am
Old Feb 15, 2021, 11:15 am

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...pite-new-rules

Full flight leaves Vancouver and Calgary bound for Hawaii despite new rules

More planeloads of Canadians have departed Vancouver and Calgary bound for Hawaii, despite a new law that will add $2,000 to each passenger’s vacation.

Currently, one per cent of the total cases of COVID-19 in Canada are explicitly linked to travel outside the country, and a further 0.8 per cent from contact with a traveller.
Jasper2009 and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 15, 2021 at 11:32 am Reason: Inflammatory, inciting or unnecessarily provocative comments
Old Feb 15, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan

More planeloads of Canadians have departed Vancouver and Calgary bound for Hawaii, despite a new law that will add $2,000 to each passenger’s vacation.

Currently, one per cent of the total cases of COVID-19 in Canada are explicitly linked to travel outside the country, and a further 0.8 per cent from contact with a traveller.
I don't understand why the media is so intent on shaming travellers?
Old Feb 15, 2021, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus

They have the right to leave the country. The boarded the aircraft knowing what to expect upon their return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.