Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Canada officials say vaxx req for visitors, random testing to end by 30 Sept.2022

Old Apr 13, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by rankourabu
So we punish 106 people with $3000 tickets who were previously tested.... but....we let in 8.1 million people untested and free to mingle and spread covid.

Between March 21, 2020 and April 4, 2021, there was over three times the number of travellers entering by land (9,027,690) compared to those by air (2,739,132), the PHAC said in a release.

About 90 per cent of those entering by land are exempt from the requirement to quarantine due to the fact they are cross-border workers, critical infrastructure workers and hold jobs in the trade or transportation sector.
Welcome to political theatre. None of it has to do with safety.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Canadians should find out in a week or so if the controversial quarantine hotel program will be extended, a top Air Canada executive says.
LETTERBOY and jackmaninov like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
https://globalnews.ca/news/7753422/c...s-bills-canada

Travellers who cannot afford the hotels or those whose reservations were messed up get to stay for free at the government-run facilities.

The lady in question landed Saturday, got her negative result on Sunday but was not allowed to leave until Wednesday because it required PHAC authorization.

She was not told where she was being taken (although a quick glance at Google maps revealed it was a Hilton), admonished not to disclose the location or to take photographs. Even in her own room!

These facilities are where they send pax who tested positive. How she was safer being taken there as opposed to going home is beyond me.
quandide, LETTERBOY and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:55 pm

will be extended mark my words
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
will be extended mark my words
Certainly sounds like a foregone conclusion

https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/airl...s-for-may.html
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
@yerffej201 — I truly hope you are wrong but I fear you are correct.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by spartacus81
Certainly sounds like a foregone conclusion

https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/airl...s-for-may.html
I dont think anyone really expected 4/30.

And I m personally not counting on June either. You cant have all these people going on summer vacations.

Then it will be cant have people go warm places in the fall/winter. And like the US border extensions, we will still be here in 2022 putting Canadians in overpriced prison hotels.

Not holding out much hope for a court injunction either.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:25 am

I dont think anyone really expected 4/30.

And I m personally not counting on June either. You cant have all these people going on summer vacations.

Then it will be cant have people go warm places in the fall/winter. And like the US border extensions, we will still be here in 2022 putting Canadians in overpriced prison hotels.

Not holding out much hope for a court injunction either.
i think hotel quarantine will end sept 1.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
52% of Canadians would keep the policy until at least September.

https://angusreid.org/three-day-hotel-quarantine/

Some interesting numbers.
Badenoch and DC9 like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 15, 2021 at 10:14 pm Reason: Off topic
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:44 pm

52% of Canadians would keep the policy until at least September.

https://angusreid.org/three-day-hotel-quarantine/

Some interesting numbers.
sad
Old Apr 18, 2021, 10:37 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The Globe has a story today on ways to legally avoid the hotel quarantine.

Interestingly, the reader question that kicked it off was about buying a used car and driving all the way from Florida, which is obviously a terrible idea.

One-way car rentals, walking across, and taking a taxi across are all discussed. But I'm pleased to say there's more and better information on FT than in this article
tcook052 and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
More accurately would be Tuesday September 7th.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
More accurately would be Tuesday September 7th.
Makes sense. Right after the summer break and labour day
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The Globe has a story today on ways to legally avoid the hotel quarantine.

Interestingly, the reader question that kicked it off was about buying a used car and driving all the way from Florida, which is obviously a terrible idea.

One-way car rentals, walking across, and taking a taxi across are all discussed. But I'm pleased to say there's more and better information on FT than in this article
I actually thought about the car purchase option, even looked at autotrader to see what a relatively reliable beater costs.

These people live in Nova Scotia, and I am in Edmonton, a good 4-5 hour drive from the nearest border crossing. The Buffalo land crossing works quite well for Ontarians, but it is a little harder for people who live too far away from a border crossing that is also near an airport.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
I actually thought about the car purchase option, even looked at autotrader to see what a relatively reliable beater costs.

These people live in Nova Scotia, and I am in Edmonton, a good 4-5 hour drive from the nearest border crossing. The Buffalo land crossing works quite well for Ontarians, but it is a little harder for people who live too far away from a border crossing that is also near an airport.
People I know in your position have flown to Buffalo and rented a car or taken a taxi to YYZ and then flew domestically out west or to Maritimes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.