Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario has now published 14 day isolation on return from interprovincial travel

Ontario has now published 14 day isolation on return from interprovincial travel

Old Jan 14, 21, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriot, Hilton, IHG, P25K

In Canada travel is going to get harder to accomplish.

Ontario has now published 14 day isolation on return from interprovincial travel on it's zones and restrictions webpage.

Others likely to follow
Old Jan 14, 21, 5:41 pm

Programs: AC 75K, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by leisurefly View Post
In Canada travel is going to get harder to accomplish.

Ontario has now published 14 day isolation on return from interprovincial travel on it's zones and restrictions webpage.

Others likely to follow
Where are you seeing this? I see it listed as a "strongly advises" rather than a legal requirement.

I'm not arguing for or against the policy, just seeking the most currently-published wording.
Old Jan 14, 21, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
NOTE: The first place I looked was the link at the top of the AC main page, clicking the link to "Where Can I Travel Right Now?"

If you select any province and THEN click ON on the map, you get access to a link to the ON gov page which leads to.....

Located on the very bottom of this page

https://www.ontario.ca/page/covid-19-stop-spread

EDIT TO ADD this one, which required more googling

Found on this page:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/covid-19...ewide-shutdown

IMHO, it's not easy to find unless you are persistent and really looking for it and like to spend time on various government websites. How many people travelling between provinces are doing any of this searching?

When I returned to YYZ, there were no health officials or others at the jet bridge, asking where I am going or if I plan to isolate for 14 days.

Last edited by 24left; Jan 14, 21 at 5:58 pm Reason: Add info
Old Jan 14, 21, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
Where are you seeing this? I see it listed as a "strongly advises" rather than a legal requirement.

I'm not arguing for or against the policy, just seeking the most currently-published wording.
The wording is

Interprovincial travel should be essential,

Upon return from interprovincial travel, one should isolate for 14 days,

"Should"might not have the same weight as "must or shall", however, I would not want to test it.
​​​​​​
Old Jan 14, 21, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC 75K, FOTSG Platinum
The wording is

Interprovincial travel should be essential,

Upon return from interprovincial travel, one should isolate for 14 days,

"Should"might not have the same weight as "must or shall", however, I would not want to test it.
​​​​​​
As with the recent botched roll-out of the PCR-test requirement, things get murky quickly when different Official Government Publications contradict each other.

I don't know how to tell whether "strongly advises" has a different legal meaning than "should", do you?
Old Jan 14, 21, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
As with the recent botched roll-out of the PCR-test requirement, things get murky quickly when different Official Government Publications contradict each other.

I don't know how to tell whether "strongly advises" has a different legal meaning than "should", do you?
I am not a lawyer so I do not have the expertise to advise on that.

I did first pick up on this first from general Covid advice email regarding the new Ontario lockdown from a law firm I use.

Cancelled a yyz - yul return trip for a ski vacation in Quebec today due to this. Fortunately a comfort fare.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Jan 14, 21, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
"should" and "strongly advises" hopefully doesnt turn into "must" - although I doubt Ontario and Quebec have the manpower to enforce this.

Anyway, our domestic tickets for 2021 are all booked on Aeroplan or on United.com. Cancelled two lowest-fare domestics today om AC for a full refund with United after the email blitz.

I feel like paying for comfort fares only rewards AC's thievery, so will continue to book my domestic flights with the lowest fare, and still get full refunds when AC cancels my flights.
Old Jan 14, 21, 8:48 pm

Impossible to enforce.
LETTERBOY and jackmaninov like this.
Old Jan 14, 21, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC50K, WS Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold,
I am not a lawyer so I do not have the expertise to advise on that.

I did first pick up on this first from general Covid advice email regarding the new Ontario lockdown from a law firm I use.

Cancelled a yyz - yul return trip for a ski vacation in Quebec today due to this. Fortunately a comfort fare.
Under the new "Stay at home order" there are 29 "exemptions" to it. 1 of them is Travel. #23 states "Travelling to an airport, bus or train station for the purpose of travelling to a destination outside of the Province"

So yes, you could have went on your ski trip if you deemed it "essential" (you are exercising after all) which according to the Government's own wording of the law, is up to the individual to determine what is essential to them.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 14, 21, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles View Post
Under the new "Stay at home order" there are 29 "exemptions" to it. 1 of them is Travel. #23 states "Travelling to an airport, bus or train station for the purpose of travelling to a destination outside of the Province"

So yes, you could have went on your ski trip if you deemed it "essential" (you are exercising after all) which according to the Government's own wording of the law, is up to the individual to determine what is essential to them.
I am aware one is allowed to travel to an airport, it is the statement "out of province travel should be essential" and "upon return from interprovincial travel one should isolate for 14 days."

It certainly appears to place an obligation to isolate after interprovincial travel for an Ontario resident.

The entire process does appear to be poorly implemented with confusing and sometimes contradictory information.

BC is also looking to restrict traveling according to news reports, I would not be surprised to see all Canadian travel going this way in a hurry.

I was in Europe last year in the first half of March and bailed out two days before out of country quarantine was implemented. Even though I was not subject to quarantine rules my employer quarantined me.
Old Jan 14, 21, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC50K, WS Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold,
I am aware one is allowed to travel to an airport, it is the statement "out of province travel should be essential" and "upon return from interprovincial travel one should isolate for 14 days."

It certainly appears to place an obligation to isolate after interprovincial travel for an Ontario resident.

The entire process does appear to be poorly implemented with confusing and sometimes contradictory information.
Ah yes this is coming from the same Premier who's Minister of Finance went for a leisure trip while preaching "essential travel only." Rules for thee and not for me as they say. Once again if they were serious about restricting travel or placing people into quarantine they would do it. Until then its all theatrics to appease to people's emotions.

Nothing has really changed under this new "stay at home order." Toronto seemed to be just as busy as it was yesterday.
Old Jan 15, 21, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, WS Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
Impossible to enforce.
There is nothing to enforce. "Should" and "strongly advises" are not enforceable they are recommendations - "must" and "shall" are enforceable.

It would be like "enforcing" out of country travel, which remains legal.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Jan 15, 21, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
There is nothing to enforce. "Should" and "strongly advises" are not enforceable they are recommendations - "must" and "shall" are enforceable.

It would be like "enforcing" out of country travel, which remains legal.
Agreed, travel is legal, it is the quarantine requirements from travel I originally brought up.
Old Jan 15, 21, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K
The "should" lingo has been around since March even before the stay-at-home order. I've returned to Ontario many times for work and have never been asked to isolate as it is SHOULD and not mandated by any by-laws.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 15, 21, 1:17 pm

I'm not a lawyer, but based on the "should" wording, instead of "shall", I'd interpret the interpersonal travel quarantine as simply a recommendation and not a legal requirement.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: