Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Silly question, but here's to trying to consider everything.

Does the test need to be in either French or English? Will be returning home from Ecuador via the US, and will have test results printed in Spanish.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by loganre17
Silly question, but here's to trying to consider everything.

Does the test need to be in either French or English? Will be returning home from Ecuador via the US, and will have test results printed in Spanish.
Yes - it must be French or English. . .
Old Sep 19, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Yes - it must be French or English. . .
That makes sense for me - just as a point, I was waived through with results in Spanish, both at AC check-in and at the border
Old Sep 21, 2021, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read the Canada government site and understand it - for transiting travelers, negative PCR test is not required as long as you stay in the transit area.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...er#transit-air

Also except YYZ, all other Canadian airports do not allow overnight layover.

Try to call AC to verify but the hold time was too long that I gave up.

Do I understand it correctly?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 6:27 am

Just wanted to share my experience with LabQ for any travellers to NYC. To summarize, a great service, AC had no problems accepting the results, however the 24 hour turn around time may not be accurate; be mindful of time.

Myself and my girlfriend used the service on September 3rd as Canadians visiting. They did not ask for ID, proof of insurance, etc. Completely free, no questions asked. For our address we simply put our hotel address.

We used the station right outside of Bryant Park and there was no lineup whatsoever - both were done in about 5 minutes. They do both a nasal RT-PCR test as well as an antibody test where they prick your finger for a dry blood sample. We got tested around 4 PM on September 3rd, and needed the results for our flight back to Canada in the afternoon of the the 6th. My girlfriend received her complete results (both the PCR and antibody) via text at around 9 AM on September 5th - I did not. I waited until the morning of the 6th, still no results so I gave them a call. There was a delay with my antibody test, but they sent me a copy of the test results which showed a negative PCR test and a "PENDING" under the antibody test. Was on the phone for probably 3 minutes, and had the result a minute after. Had no trouble presenting the results upon boarding our AC flight home.

Be cognizant of time; definitely don't leave it until the last minute if you choose to use it.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Is there a web site for Canadians who want to get a covid test internationally (USA and elsewhere) where we can get a list of sites which offers the the required covid test,and for an acceptable cost?

For example:

As a start with, my daughter is in NYC (Manhattan) - she wil be returning to YOW via YYZ this coming Thurs (July 29).

My wife and I will return from Orlando in mid Sept.

My wife and I will be return from Maui via a same day transit in Honolulu in mid Oct.

We cancelled Orlando and cancelled Maui.

in about 2 weeks will be flying to San Francisco.
We will all stay over 1 week.

There are 4 of us.

All 4 of us will leave San Francisco on a Saturday- one week after we arrive.
We will go to South Lake Tahoe on that Saturday by car.

On Monday, I will leave for YOW from Reno (RNO, via Denver and YYZ).
So should I take the test in San Francisco, or there some place in South Lake Tahoe CA?
Our resort in San Francisco will be 3 blocks from Fisherman's Wharf.
(so I will be in San Francisco upto 48 hours before leaving for a flight from RNO; I will leave San Francisco 48 hours before my flight departs from RNO -and I will arrive at South Lake Tahoe just over 36 hours before departing from Reno).

On Tues evening, the other 3 members of the party will drive back to SFO.
They will leave for Canada from SFO on Wednesday, the morning after arrived by car (the previous night) from South Lake Tahoe.
Are there locations in South Lake Tahoe for the PCR test?
(so the other 3 members of our group will be there at the resort in South Lake Tahoe CA - from Sat evening through to Tues morning - then relaxingly drive all day Tues back to SFO).

Which locations do you recommend?

These are the labs on the AC web site- recommended for molecular tests in USA. (we will be flying on AC - I will start out on a UA code shared flight from Reno to Denver). But can one use other labs? My 25 yr old daughter just came back from USA - she stated that she heard that public labs in USA will do the molecular test for free, even for the purpose of testing for travelers? Is that true? (she however heard about that news; she actually went to a lab and paid for the pcr test before coming backing home to Ottawa).

What does it mean - it would not meet accessibility guidelines?

Should we get a timestamp on our covid pcr tests?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
FWIW family friends just back from PSP advised that a local CVS provided free COVID PCR tests much to their surprise.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
FWIW family friends just back from PSP advised that a local CVS provided free COVID PCR tests much to their surprise.
Atlanta has had free PCR tests since the beginning. I have taken more than 20 for my twice-monthly trips to Canada. Everyone gets free pcr tests even visiting Canadians here on vacation or here getting their third vaccine. I went up twice last week and had the same border guard with 2 separate free pcr tests. Feel free to pm me if you ever need a free pcr test in Atlanta. Ideal for snowbirds driving home from Florida in the spring.
jerry305 likes this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Sep 30, 2021 at 6:21 pm
Old Sep 30, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Atlanta has had free PCR tests since the beginning. I have taken more than 20 for my twice-monthly trips to Canada. Everyone gets free pcr tests even visiting Canadians here on vacation or here getting their third vaccine. I went up twice last week and had the same border guard with 2 separate free pcr tests. Feel free to pm me if you ever need a free pcr test in Atlanta. Ideal for snowbirds driving home from Florida in the spring.
20 trips to Canada in that time? Surely you were essential travel exempt from quarantine...or did you quarantine for 2 weeks at a time on each trip?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:26 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by xobile
or did you quarantine for 2 weeks at a time on each trip?
No need to quarantine for 2 weeks if you left Canada again after, say, 2 days. And now, fortunately, no need to quarantine any more.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by xobile
20 trips to Canada in that time? Surely you were essential travel exempt from quarantine...or did you quarantine for 2 weeks at a time on each trip?
Not exempt but only stayed 24-48 hours each visit.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Has anyone had experience with travelling to Canada without a test on the basis of having tested positive less than 180 days ago and recovered since?

The positive test was from the AB provincial lab whose results don't have much detail (at least the printout that is available through the provincial website we have access to). Doctor's letter are available, for a nominal fee, so that is relatively straightforward. The question I have is whether whoever is checking those documents will want to see a 4-month old positive test result that has the exact same requirements and format as the 72-hr negative test. Like "PCR/NAAT", exact date and time swab was taken, name and contact info of lab, etc.

Actually, who reviews and determines eligibility to board in this kind of situation? The person at the ArriveCan support phone line said that tests and things of that nature are reviewed by the airline.

Any practical experience with regard to travelling as a recovered person would be appreciated. If it makes a difference, Air Canada from either CUN or CZM.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Has anyone had experience with travelling to Canada without a test on the basis of having tested positive less than 180 days ago and recovered since?

The positive test was from the AB provincial lab whose results don't have much detail (at least the printout that is available through the provincial website we have access to). Doctor's letter are available, for a nominal fee, so that is relatively straightforward. The question I have is whether whoever is checking those documents will want to see a 4-month old positive test result that has the exact same requirements and format as the 72-hr negative test. Like "PCR/NAAT", exact date and time swab was taken, name and contact info of lab, etc.

Actually, who reviews and determines eligibility to board in this kind of situation? The person at the ArriveCan support phone line said that tests and things of that nature are reviewed by the airline.

Any practical experience with regard to travelling as a recovered person would be appreciated. If it makes a difference, Air Canada from either CUN or CZM.
If you were crossing by land then you can prove your case on the spot with documentation and avoid a $5,000+ fine. For a flight the gate agents will just deny you to cover themselves and not risk a big fine to their employer and then you are stuck. I would just get the pcr test and save the aggravation.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
We cancelled Orlando and cancelled Maui.

in about 2 weeks will be flying to San Francisco.
We will all stay over 1 week.

There are 4 of us.

All 4 of us will leave San Francisco on a Saturday- one week after we arrive.
We will go to South Lake Tahoe on that Saturday by car.

On Monday, I will leave for YOW from Reno (RNO, via Denver and YYZ).
So should I take the test in San Francisco, or there some place in South Lake Tahoe CA?
Our resort in San Francisco will be 3 blocks from Fisherman's Wharf.
(so I will be in San Francisco upto 48 hours before leaving for a flight from RNO; I will leave San Francisco 48 hours before my flight departs from RNO -and I will arrive at South Lake Tahoe just over 36 hours before departing from Reno).

On Tues evening, the other 3 members of the party will drive back to SFO.
They will leave for Canada from SFO on Wednesday, the morning after arrived by car (the previous night) from South Lake Tahoe.
Are there locations in South Lake Tahoe for the PCR test?
(so the other 3 members of our group will be there at the resort in South Lake Tahoe CA - from Sat evening through to Tues morning - then relaxingly drive all day Tues back to SFO).

Which locations do you recommend?

These are the labs on the AC web site- recommended for molecular tests in USA. (we will be flying on AC - I will start out on a UA code shared flight from Reno to Denver). But can one use other labs? My 25 yr old daughter just came back from USA - she stated that she heard that public labs in USA will do the molecular test for free, even for the purpose of testing for travelers? Is that true? (she however heard about that news; she actually went to a lab and paid for the pcr test before coming backing home to Ottawa).
What does it mean - it would not meet accessibility guidelines?

Should we get a timestamp on our covid pcr tests?
Not meeting accessibility guidelines means that if you're mobility impaired (ie need a wheelchair or can not easily walk) you may not be able to reach this location.
You must have a timestamp on your COVID PCR test to show it's less than 72 hours before your departure when it was sampled.
You can use any molecular test. I have had mine done at Walgreens and CVS in California (and another one called Sameday health when one of mine went missing as they have a 1 hour option which is really 3 hours or so). I was not charged by CVS or Walgreens; when you input your details on their sign up form use your hotel address and Canadian license number for your ID. They did not ask to see mine at either location.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by Happy
I read the Canada government site and understand it - for transiting travelers, negative PCR test is not required as long as you stay in the transit area.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...er#transit-air

Also except YYZ, all other Canadian airports do not allow overnight layover.

Try to call AC to verify but the hold time was too long that I gave up.

Do I understand it correctly?
Correct, according to the web site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.