Reload this Page >

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:35 pm

Any recommendations for PCR testing in Paris for travel back to Canada? Lots of pharmacies and labs do PCR tests, but not sure how reliable they are.

Also I noticed there is a "Rapid PCR" test done at CDG and one other lab I found in the city, I'm assuming "Rapid PCR" is ok for entry to Canada, right?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
CVS vs Walgreens

Flying on Tuesday back home.
So here in Florida Walgreens doesnt do weekend tests, so we did CVS on Sunday. Still no results >24hrs later.
Decided not to take any chances and did Walgreens NAAT today, results in an hour with a nice pdf report.

Used Canadian passport for both CVS and Walgreens

Uploaded the results, and arrivecan screenshot into the United app, came back approved about 15 mins later and boarding passes issued. Hopefully that will be enough to skip any airport procedures tomorrow.

Really like this preapproval vs having to deal with a possibly rogue airport agent.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by spartacus81
Any recommendations for PCR testing in Paris for travel back to Canada? Lots of pharmacies and labs do PCR tests, but not sure how reliable they are.

Also I noticed there is a "Rapid PCR" test done at CDG and one other lab I found in the city, I'm assuming "Rapid PCR" is ok for entry to Canada, right?
The rapid PCR in CDG is probably fine, you just have to pay an extra 20 euro and book it before you go at the airport.
Any PCR done in a lab should be fine as well, just do it between 48h and 72h before your flight because they are pretty busy now...
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
The rapid PCR in CDG is probably fine, you just have to pay an extra 20 euro and book it before you go at the airport.
Any PCR done in a lab should be fine as well, just do it between 48h and 72h before your flight because they are pretty busy now...
I had a Rapid PCR done out of PDX, was fine with customs. As long as it says PCR and not Antigen, you are fine
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:14 am

My tip is to avoid flying in on Wednesdays if you're doing PCR (non-rapid) test, so that you don't need to look for tests on a Sunday (72 hours before). In NYC there's a bunch of pop-up mobile testing sites done by QLab and I got my results in 12-18 hrs. Other medical centers that don't dedicate to doing covid testing take a bit longer - had One Medical take 1 day which is faster than their norm, and CityMD actually took more than 3 days, got my results after I already entered Canada.

Also it's best to print the test results if you have a printer. Having a bunch of stuff on your phone and them scrolling around just adds a lot more energy and shows you're less prepared.

Interesting to hear that Rapid PCR works fine with customs though, I guess I didn't do that much research and was confused by all the wording used, assumed that it would be best if I just got PCR.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 11:20 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by aimango
My tip is to avoid flying in on Wednesdays if you're doing PCR (non-rapid) test, so that you don't need to look for tests on a Sunday (72 hours before).
If you're flying on a Wednesday, you don't need to get tested on Sunday, you can get tested on Monday or Tuesday. Finding a provider that offers an appropriate turnaround time is always the key, and doing the test earlier can help, but I don't think it makes enough of a difference to worry about.

​​​​​​
Also it's best to print the test results if you have a printer. Having a bunch of stuff on your phone and them scrolling around just adds a lot more energy and shows you're less prepared.
It will simplify your life a bit to have a printed copy, but if you've queued things up on your phone in advance, it doesn't show you're less prepared.

Interesting to hear that Rapid PCR works fine with customs though, I guess I didn't do that much research and was confused by all the wording used, assumed that it would be best if I just got PCR.
Any molecular test (PCR, NAAT, many others), rapid or not, is acceptable.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by aimango
My tip is to avoid flying in on Wednesdays if you're doing PCR (non-rapid) test, so that you don't need to look for tests on a Sunday (72 hours before). In NYC there's a bunch of pop-up mobile testing sites done by QLab and I got my results in 12-18 hrs. Other medical centers that don't dedicate to doing covid testing take a bit longer - had One Medical take 1 day which is faster than their norm, and CityMD actually took more than 3 days, got my results after I already entered Canada. Also it's best to print the test results if you have a printer. Having a bunch of stuff on your phone and them scrolling around just adds a lot more energy and shows you're less prepared. Interesting to hear that Rapid PCR works fine with customs though, I guess I didn't do that much research and was confused by all the wording used, assumed that it would be best if I just got PCR.
I had a Wednesday flight, and got tested with LabQ in NYC on Sunday morning. No problem at all. Probably could have got tested on Monday or Tuesday too and still had the results in time.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:44 am

Programs: AC35K, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Has anyone returned from Athens recently? I'm trying to just determine if the Rapid Test (Abbott/Panbio Covid 19 Ag Immunochromatography method) would be considered acceptable for entry back into Canada. The PCR and Rapid test is 60€ vs. 20€ so it's a pretty big price difference.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Thanks, I ended up getting a rapid PCR test done at a Cerballiance lab (the same company that does the testing at CDG, but at CDG you can only get the rapid test if you're travelling same day). The lab report didn't even mention it was a rapid PCR, just said Real Time RT-PCR.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by jer3
Has anyone returned from Athens recently? I'm trying to just determine if the Rapid Test (Abbott/Panbio Covid 19 Ag Immunochromatography method) would be considered acceptable for entry back into Canada. The PCR and Rapid test is 60€ vs. 20€ so it's a pretty big price difference.
The Abbot/Panbio looks to be an Antigen test, which would not be accepted in Canada.
jer3 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:38 am

do you think this PCR test requirement for pre-boarding and entering Canada will end anytime soon?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:02 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Soopergal
do you think this PCR test requirement for pre-boarding and entering Canada will end anytime soon?
No.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: AC E75K
Does anyone have recommendations for fast (and ideally free) PCR testing in San Diego in the Gaslamp Quarter area?

Visiting for a short work trip and won't have a lot of downtime so would love to find something close to the hotel (Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter).

Thank you!
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:44 pm

Has anyone ever looked into using the Lucira Health Check It Covid tests? It has Health Canada and CDC EUA, and is RT-Lamp which would qualify for re-entry into Canada. Would be amazing if self-swab tests were allowed.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 9:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Does anyone have recommendations for fast (and ideally free) PCR testing in San Diego in the Gaslamp Quarter area?

Visiting for a short work trip and won't have a lot of downtime so would love to find something close to the hotel (Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter).

Thank you!
Try to book ahead at the CVS on 5th. Should be free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.