Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Canada Will Require Negative COVID-19 Test 72 Hours Before Arrival

Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by mountainboy
That document does not define "essential travel".
Sorry, wrong link, and many more available through Google search.

How CBSA determines “essential travel” revealed in internal memo
With the U.S.-Canada border closed to non-essential travel, CBSA officers use in-house guidelines to determine if now is the right time for a foreign national to come to Canada.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/05/how-...html#gs.p42buu
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by skybluesea
Sorry, wrong link, and many more available through Google search.

How CBSA determines “essential travel” revealed in internal memo
With the U.S.-Canada border closed to non-essential travel, CBSA officers use in-house guidelines to determine if now is the right time for a foreign national to come to Canada.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/05/how-...html#gs.p42buu
Yes, foreign nationals have been locked out from Canada, unless they qualify for essential designation. Been that way almost 10 months, and PCR does not change it.

This conversation is (almost exclusively) about Canadians leaving Canada and returning. Nothing has changed their either (except PCR adding a processing step). Canadians can leave and return, and they can make their own judgement as to whether their travel is essential or not, and noone at CBSA or HC makes a determination about their self-judged essential trip. CBSA is not asking Canadians the same questions as they as foreigners, so why do you bring that up?

I'm in YYC. Currently all international flights go to Sun destinations. These flights are permitted by the government.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:52 pm

This is from Air Canada to travel agents
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
One thing that I suppose frustrates me is that a small group of people like me - who work outside of Canada but live in Canada have been essentially locked out of coming home for almost a year now. It is these situations whereby - you are putting people really to the brink - that makes me lose my patience with the whole situation and all the chatter. I would normally do 3 months on / 10 days in Canada - 3-4 times per year. Have done it for years - but now am basically out - - no way to go back and check on property, business, see my immediate family etc. . It is a disaster frankly - but people like me are caught up in this. What is essential travel? Apparently it is not going home after working away - but it has been taking people like me to the mental brink.

When I read all the chatter - all I can feel is we are a forgotten group and totally not on the radar. As for this testing requirement. It is not impossible but it is a challenge. Here in Switzerland, most places provide you a test result in 72 hours - which is too slow to address the Canadian requirement. Most of the countries seem to have 96 hour rules - which is actually 100% easier to comply with (especially in a country notorious for not working on weekends - even the military). Also - don't get me started on the $400 fee it costs here to get the test - which takes all of 5 minutes.

I get that people should not travel - but eventually - you have to get home - - and to me that is essential (and I will do my quarantine - on my own dime and on my own time!!).
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
This is from Air Canada to travel agents
Thanks for posting this. So if I go DXB-YYZ on EK then YYZ-USA on AC/DL then I am exempt?

-------
Insta: @thedarkknightdds
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WannabeSE
I’ve gotten reports that the flight from YYZ-MEX today on AM is 100% full. I guess this additional step isn’t deterring people. As expected.
It seems that it indeed isn't. Just to add another data point. Transborder security and US preclearance at YYZ was a bit of a zoo today. Almost missed my connection. There was a lot of folks there who didn't seem like they're traveling on business. Families with small children, lot of people who looked like retirees. I guess when they are traveling south for several months, the need for the test is not a real deterrent. The situation may be completely different in April compared to now.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
It seems that it indeed isn't. Just to add another data point. Transborder security and US preclearance at YYZ was a bit of a zoo today. Almost missed my connection. There was a lot of folks there who didn't seem like they're traveling on business. Families with small children, lot of people who looked like retirees. I guess when they are traveling south for several months, the need for the test is not a real deterrent. The situation may be completely different in April compared to now.
T1 or T3????
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
T1 or T3????
T1. I was connecting AC to AC.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
One thing that I suppose frustrates me is that a small group of people like me - who work outside of Canada but live in Canada have been essentially locked out of coming home for almost a year now. It is these situations whereby - you are putting people really to the brink - that makes me lose my patience with the whole situation and all the chatter. I would normally do 3 months on / 10 days in Canada - 3-4 times per year. Have done it for years - but now am basically out - - no way to go back and check on property, business, see my immediate family etc. . It is a disaster frankly - but people like me are caught up in this. What is essential travel? Apparently it is not going home after working away - but it has been taking people like me to the mental brink.

When I read all the chatter - all I can feel is we are a forgotten group and totally not on the radar. As for this testing requirement. It is not impossible but it is a challenge. Here in Switzerland, most places provide you a test result in 72 hours - which is too slow to address the Canadian requirement. Most of the countries seem to have 96 hour rules - which is actually 100% easier to comply with (especially in a country notorious for not working on weekends - even the military). Also - don't get me started on the $400 fee it costs here to get the test - which takes all of 5 minutes.

I get that people should not travel - but eventually - you have to get home - - and to me that is essential (and I will do my quarantine - on my own dime and on my own time!!).
My son in law has come home twice from his job in Brussels. He quarantined both times, paid for his flight both times and an airBnB to quarantine in. Not sure why you feel you could not come home?
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
So how is a Canadian who was traveling in Mexico for instance to get tested 72 hours before return. Go to a Mexican hospital??
What an inane policy. Returning citizens should get tested and if necessary go into quarantine on arrival.
you would go to a private clinic. My sister did just that last week ok Cancun and no issues.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Wow!

Could put a crimp in planned future trips to Switzerland.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
For reference, I have had several elective Covid-19 tests in Switzerland, all of which provided results within 36h and none of which cost more than CHF200. Most recent was yesterday, cost CHF170, result in <24h, written pdf in English.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So a bargain basement $250 Cdn. I guess for Switzerland, that's a good deal.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by The Lev
So a bargain basement $250 Cdn. I guess for Switzerland, that's a good deal.
Here in Vancouver tests are CAN$ 250, at least the ones I have checked and which return results in 24 hours.
CHF 200 seems to be in line with that.
When I was in Germany in October, tests were anywhere between EURO 80 - 250.

Definitely a great new business opportunity for those who were in the medical testing industry.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Versus US$5.00 cost for the Abbott PanBio antigen test, which of course is not acceptable to our government.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.