Search

Pre-Travel COVID-19 test providers in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2020, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Pre-Travel COVID-19 test providers in Canada

Hi there

Can anyone recommend Pre-Travel COVID-19 test providers in Canada? Specifically Toronto area?

I noticed on YYC's website they've recommended DynaLIFE for pre-travel COVID-19 testing - https://www.yyc.com/en-us/travelleri...tingatyyc.aspx
Old Oct 25, 2020, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Hi there

Can anyone recommend Pre-Travel COVID-19 test providers in Canada? Specifically Toronto area?

I noticed on YYC's website they've recommended DynaLIFE for pre-travel COVID-19 testing - https://www.yyc.com/en-us/travelleri...tingatyyc.aspx
https://www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19...SKmuUBBO91DUQw
Old Oct 25, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
The problem is, at least in Ottawa, the time it takes to get the test results back. I get tested regularly because I have a daughter in a long-term care home and I need tests so I can visit her. Now that we are required to use the pharmacies it seems to be taking five days to get the results back. I want to fly to Dubai in November and they require a test within 96 hours of departure from the start of your flight. In Ottawa there does not seem to be a private clinic you can go to for a quick test results guaranteed in say two days. A further complication is that the results of the pharmacy test you can print from on government of Ontario website do not adequately identify you as part of your name is blocked out and they give the date of the test in terms of the day but not the time. The time of the test is required to meet the 96 hour requirement. Apparently I can go back to the drugstore and they can get me a print out with that information. But that is not useful if the results aren’t back in time.

Air Canada switched my original flight direct from Toronto to Dubai to one stopping over at Frankfurt as AC seem to have decided to Postpone opening up there direct flights. At one point I thought I could get my testing done in Frankfurt during my long layover of seven hours. They offer private clinic testing at the airport. But it is outside security. However that will present a combination of problems. I will not be able to check my bags through but must deal with him in Frankfurt. The quickest I can get my test results back is probably six hours [And that is not guaranteed] so that would not likely be in time to make my flight. And finally the recent announcement that Canada is no longer seen as a safe country Will probably lead to complications in terms of going outside of security to take the test. Air Canada doesn’t really know what to tell me. At worst if I can’t fly onto Dubai they say they would fly me home and refund the portion of the ticket That is Frankfurt Dubai Frankfurt. That does not seem to be a very attractive proposition. Anyway it looks like I will take my test on Friday, October 30 and if it comes back November 3 in the morning when I wake up And if I can get the correct print out when I go to the drugstore as they have told me I can, I will be fine for my flight which has its first departure from Ottawa at noon that day. If not I will cancel. Fortunately I have a latitude ticket. I have been told however that I may not be able to cancel online because of my E upgrade certificates having been applied. I can just imagine the calling centre being down when I try to cancel, Or my quick access as a 75K lifetime 2,000,000 mile member not being quick that morning. Maybe I should just listen to the Canadian government and not travel anywhere!

on the one hand I think it’s great you have to take a test before you get on an airline and go somewhere. It certainly improves confidence in flying safely. On the other hand the Ontario government has screwed up the testing so badly even though they had all summer to prepare for the much anticipated fall second wave, That they have made getting tested for Travel pretty much impossible. So here I sit on the horns of a dilemma!
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Different destinations also have different specific limitations on the type of test, who may process it, and the timing. Thus, really need to know the specific travel location.

For some, this may be a matter of having to travel to a location which can provide a speedy and guaranteed turnaround, along with the required personal data, and then sitting in a hotel waiting before flying onwards.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I think Dynalife is only for essential travel. We have a leisure trip tentatively (Aeroplan, free cancellations until Dec. 31st.) booked for December and need:

Medical certificate with a laboratory result using RT-PCR test indicating that COVID -19 is not detected. Such COVID-19 test result must be issued no more than 72 hours before departure
We are currently staying an hour from Cranbrook (Creston). Closest place that does non-essential travel PCR tests may be Calgary. Not sure if we can make this work.

Would love to hear anyone finding travel testing places in AB/BC too.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by ramsfan
The problem is, at least in Ottawa, the time it takes to get the test results back. I get tested regularly because I have a daughter in a long-term care home and I need tests so I can visit her. Now that we are required to use the pharmacies it seems to be taking five days to get the results back. I want to fly to Dubai in November and they require a test within 96 hours of departure from the start of your flight. In Ottawa there does not seem to be a private clinic you can go to for a quick test results guaranteed in say two days. A further complication is that the results of the pharmacy test you can print from on government of Ontario website do not adequately identify you as part of your name is blocked out and they give the date of the test in terms of the day but not the time. The time of the test is required to meet the 96 hour requirement. Apparently I can go back to the drugstore and they can get me a print out with that information. But that is not useful if the results aren’t back in time.

Air Canada switched my original flight direct from Toronto to Dubai to one stopping over at Frankfurt as AC seem to have decided to Postpone opening up there direct flights. At one point I thought I could get my testing done in Frankfurt during my long layover of seven hours. They offer private clinic testing at the airport. But it is outside security. However that will present a combination of problems. I will not be able to check my bags through but must deal with him in Frankfurt. The quickest I can get my test results back is probably six hours [And that is not guaranteed] so that would not likely be in time to make my flight. And finally the recent announcement that Canada is no longer seen as a safe country Will probably lead to complications in terms of going outside of security to take the test. Air Canada doesn’t really know what to tell me. At worst if I can’t fly onto Dubai they say they would fly me home and refund the portion of the ticket That is Frankfurt Dubai Frankfurt. That does not seem to be a very attractive proposition. Anyway it looks like I will take my test on Friday, October 30 and if it comes back November 3 in the morning when I wake up And if I can get the correct print out when I go to the drugstore as they have told me I can, I will be fine for my flight which has its first departure from Ottawa at noon that day. If not I will cancel. Fortunately I have a latitude ticket. I have been told however that I may not be able to cancel online because of my E upgrade certificates having been applied. I can just imagine the calling centre being down when I try to cancel, Or my quick access as a 75K lifetime 2,000,000 mile member not being quick that morning. Maybe I should just listen to the Canadian government and not travel anywhere!

on the one hand I think it’s great you have to take a test before you get on an airline and go somewhere. It certainly improves confidence in flying safely. On the other hand the Ontario government has screwed up the testing so badly even though they had all summer to prepare for the much anticipated fall second wave, That they have made getting tested for Travel pretty much impossible. So here I sit on the horns of a dilemma!
Sounds like a stressful nightmare to me. You might have no choice but to do the covid test in Frankfurt on a stopover to meet the 96-hour requirement.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ramsfan

My suggestion is to fly the Emirates 11pm nonstop from JFK. For the PCR test, just get it done in NY, where private options abound. Fly to NYC in the morning of your EK departure (or the day before your departure day), get a PCR test that day, results that afternoon/evening or next morning and then JFK-DXB. Then fly Emirates DXB-YYZ on the return.
rankourabu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.