USA-YUL-Int'l Connection Procedure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA-YUL-Int'l Connection Procedure

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Thank you for this! I have this exact transit next month and am worried that either AA won't let me board since I can't enter Canada (don't plan to since I have an onward connection to DOH), but they may not know that. Also, worried that AA won't issue the QR boarding pass (on the same ticket) so hoping someone can be called to assist even on a long transit in YUL. Canadian officers are some of the least friendly out there so I am worried of any transit issues, but hopefully, I just deal with airport staff since I won't be entering the country anyway.
With the QR flights on the same ticket, I wouldn't be too worried about AA. The Canadian rules allow for same-day airside connections: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...er#transit-air

And at YUL you should also be fine... I will note that on a subsequent trip heading back to the US (int'l-YUL-DTW), the corridor from int'l to US/transborder was closed, so our only option was to enter Canada and walk to transborder. The immigration agent was actually super friendly about it and was as surprised as we were that the corridor was closed... after looking at our boarding passes to DTW, she simply marked "exempt" on our covid forms and let us into Canada.
Old May 19, 2022, 7:18 am
Suspended

Is 65 mins enough for int. connection @ YUL?

I purchased a EWR-YUL-TLV in PE the EWR was on UA (I chose UA since ACs flights were either a 6 hr layover or the 65 mi, UA was 4 hrs) in case something hot the fan @ EWR wanted a buffer bet flights. Well AC contacted me yesterday (its their tkt) about the UA CX btw its fora trip in the Fall. And rebooked me onto their 10am flight with a 6 hr layover.

When I tried online to book the 3:30pm flight it wouldnt let me , yet its being sold as a connection. Called AC waited close to 2 hrs and even that agent couldnt book the 3:30 flight , after playing around for some time she was able to confirm me on it

So is 65 mins enough to connect, will I end up having to actually run to make the connection if we arrive on time? Getting to EWR @ 8am wont be an easy feat, and still hoping UA comes back and puts the flight back on but Im not holding my breath, not hitting a lounge @ YUL doesnt bother me

TIA
Old May 19, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
65 mins would be tight IMHO but should be doable, provided you're on time and get off the inbound plane promptly. Cross your fingers on checked bags making it.

The good news is that YUL is not a huge airport, and the layout is pretty easy to navigate.

The bad news is that all Canadian airports seem to be experiencing staffing issues at the moment (particularly at customs and security) so YMMV definitely applies.

Good luck, hope you make it.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Symmetre
65 mins would be tight IMHO but should be doable, provided you're on time and get off the inbound plane promptly. Cross your fingers on checked bags making it.

The good news is that YUL is not a huge airport, and the layout is pretty easy to navigate.

The bad news is that all Canadian airports seem to be experiencing staffing issues at the moment (particularly at customs and security) so YMMV definitely applies.

Good luck, hope you make it.
Thx, the trip is a few months away but UA CXed the 1st leg yesterday

If I miss my connecting flight thats it on AC metal however there are 3 options where Id fly on AC metal to Europe and connect from there. The best is via CDG and AF I couldnt believe it but when I checked YUL-TLV it was an option they were selling. Thats the best combo arriving wise the FRA & MUC flights get in an hr and hr &1/2 later ad time is of the essence

Unfortunately I cant leave a day before or after and it must be the date booked, if AC cant get me on a flight that will arrive in time then its back to NY for me. Im hoping AC makes a change to the 10am flight to YUL or UA puts theirs back on as Im not thrilled with the 65 min layover and having to dive onto the flight to make it. But its not possible for me to make that 10am out of EWR either

I imagine theres a security check and my gut tells me I will have to gate check my carry-on. any idea once my PP is cjecked how long time wise to get to the Intl Departure Gates? I know it was a long walk @ YYZ yrs ago when I did it
Old May 19, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
I always assume a 30min delay with AC, add additional time for KZNY delays, and then the next flight closes 15mins prior. You now realistically have a 20 minute connection gate-to-gate.
Old May 19, 2022, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
I always assume a 30min delay with AC, add additional time for KZNY delays, and then the next flight closes 15mins prior. You now realistically have a 20 minute connection gate-to-gate.

Yikes! However I just looked at the EWR-YUL flight and already 3 FC seats are gone and 8 out 12 Preferred seats and not a single reg coach seat. I wouldnt be surprised if most of those folks are connecting onto my flight. The trip is in Oct and PE and Biz are long gone as with the YYZ flight to TLV. This year if you dont fly out by the Sun of that week then its that Thurs or basically not at all unless you fly UA or LY on their non-stops

I guess it may come down to how many late connecting passengers will AC wait for, then again maybe those folks are heading elsewhere but I doubt it

FWIW I just checked the 10:40am flight no FC taken and only 1 Preferred no reg Y, guess no one else wants a 6 hr layover if they can help it, the only bad thing is if the flight isnt held then thats close to a dz people looking to get rebooked onto 1 of 3 flights to arrive in time into TLV and flights are fast filling up so they may be soldout on that day and no rebooking
Old May 19, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: AC 75K
There is a special Customs-immigration Hall when connecting from US to Domestic, US to International, or International to Domestic, allowing travelers to avoid leaving the secure area and having to go through security again. Don't go down the escalators to the main Customs-Immigration hall. Rather look for the signs for connections. 30 minutes gate to gate as long as the special immigration hall is open.
Old May 20, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Your biggest risk is the departure out of EWR, an airport which NEVER experiences delays. I know YUL well. Six hours is a long lay-over, however the AC Intl lounge (assuming you have access) will make it less painful.
--
13F
Old May 20, 2022, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Your biggest risk is the departure out of EWR, an airport which NEVER experiences delays. I know YUL well. Six hours is a long lay-over, however the AC Intl lounge (assuming you have access) will make it less painful.
--
13F

I believe being a *G will get me in. But that also would mean having to get to the EWR by 8am which is almost impossible for me. The noon flight meant getting there by 10am which was doable. That would have meant a 4 hr layover, which I booked over the 3:30 flight and the 65 min layover. But now that UA CXed that flight its 10:40am or 3;35pm and I just dont how I can manage getting to EWR by 8am praying AC move the flight to say 11:15 or UA puts its flight back on or at 1 or 2 pm

Originally Posted by *Fan
There is a special Customs-immigration Hall when connecting from US to Domestic, US to International, or International to Domestic, allowing travelers to avoid leaving the secure area and having to go through security again. Don't go down the escalators to the main Customs-Immigration hall. Rather look for the signs for connections. 30 minutes gate to gate as long as the special immigration hall is open.
THX will keep this in mind

Last edited by tcook052; May 20, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Old May 23, 2022, 12:32 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by *Fan
So just to confirm, there's a special US to Domestic queue at YUL? That's good to hear. I'm doing a US-domestic-international itinerary next month.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
US to International connection on 2 separate tickets with luggage

We have 3 hours 45 min connection in YUL, flying on 2 separate tickets: EWR-YUL on AC and YUL-DOH on QR. QR segment is in business. We’ll also have checked luggage.

Is it enough time for this type of connection? My understanding is that we would have to collect our luggage, clear Canada customs and immigration then transfer to departure area, check in for our QR flight and go through airport security again.

Are there any suggestions on how to speed up the process? Has anyone had any recent experience doing this type of connection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.