Wiki Posts
Search

Handling of returning Canadian travelers in the COVID era

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2020, 12:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
No, the Act is not toothless. Just because one's employer provides a letter stating that an employee's travel is essential to their business does not mean that the employee's claim for an exemption to the quarantine requirement will be granted. This is up to the CBSA officer who admits the employee to Canada and the decision is entirely discretionary. In my case, I was granted the exemption but only after being grilled about what I was doing outside of Canada, why this work meets the "essential" condition, what precautions I was taking to prevent the spread of COVID19 (either to me, or from me to others) and what I would be doing during the following two weeks that I could not do were I quarantined. Basically, the officer assured himself that I was not actually a leisure traveler who had faked the employer's letter and that I am acting responsibly with respect to preventing the spread of C19, both in Canada and when I am traveling outside the country. In his view, I do not represent a threat to the health of other Canadians simply by virtue of having traveled outside the country and having returned home. Indeed, since I last returned I have been tested in Toronto for C19 and the results came back negative.

I believe that Canada's approach is sound. Of course, it will need to be adjusted to reflect changing circumstances. For instance, France and other EU countries have now lifted their quarantine requirements on Canadians traveling there, but Canada has not reciprocated; so French citizens traveling to Canada and Canadians returning from France who cannot claim an exemption will be required to self-isolate for two weeks on entering Canada. Perhaps it is time for Canada to end the blanket quarantine requirement for travelers from France; certainly the French believe that we should. But I'm sure there are many Canadians who would prefer to leave the quarantine requirement in place for the time being, for all arriving international travelers. After all, making the requirement selective is something of a slippery slope.

Stay tuned!
I have just set up a company that manufactures widgets. It is essential to my business that I travel abroad to secure the necessary inputs to my widget farm. I am a responsible personal with a silver tongue, able to convince a usually not terribly bright border official that I pose no threat to my fellow Canadians. I'm good to go and come back, no quarantine, right?
Old Aug 7, 2020, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have just set up a company that manufactures widgets. It is essential to my business that I travel abroad to secure the necessary inputs to my widget farm. I am a responsible personal with a silver tongue, able to convince a usually not terribly bright border official that I pose no threat to my fellow Canadians. I'm good to go and come back, no quarantine, right?
Based on my limited experience to date, probably not. CBSA officers are not nearly as dim-witted as you think. I think they're doing a good job overall under stress and in the face of a lot of uncertainty.

But if it turns your crank, why not give it a go? Let us know how it works out.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
Based on my limited experience to date, probably not. CBSA officers are not nearly as dim-witted as you think. I think they're doing a good job overall under stress and in the face of a lot of uncertainty.

But if it turns your crank, why not give it a go? Let us know how it works out.
They must be doing a good job because as best that I can recall there has been no sharp increase in cases in Canada attributable to essential workers crossing the border. Should there be an outbreak traced back to someone whose company stretched the truth about them being "essential" then they and their company will face the consequences. It is also reasonable to conclude there will be more scrutiny applied to essential designations should that happen.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC SE 100k MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt Gold, Airmiles, AMEX
Not sure if this is right forum. Has anyone here flown internationally and returned as an essential worker with no quarantine required? For example, I am in the food industry and do fall in both the food and agriculture services as well as professional services (accounting) in last section. I need to go into the USA for a short period but don't want to return and be forced to sit in my place for 14 days if deemed non-essential. Any thoughts or experiences on how this is being handled? I have only traveled within Canada since this all begun so it is all new to me. Thanks

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...vices-covid-19
Old Aug 9, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by coleo
Not sure if this is right forum. Has anyone here flown internationally and returned as an essential worker with no quarantine required? For example, I am in the food industry and do fall in both the food and agriculture services as well as professional services (accounting) in last section. I need to go into the USA for a short period but don't want to return and be forced to sit in my place for 14 days if deemed non-essential. Any thoughts or experiences on how this is being handled? I have only traveled within Canada since this all begun so it is all new to me. Thanks

See the thread in the Canada forum. Recent posts are about a Canadian travelling to the US and being exempt from quarantine on return as they are considered essential by their employer.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
See the thread in the Canada forum. Recent posts are about a Canadian travelling to the US and being exempt from quarantine on return as they are considered essential by their employer.
Wait... if your employer considers you essential...
Old Aug 9, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Wait... if your employer considers you essential...
Based on that thread, it seems all you need if for your employer to consider your work as essential to their business and that business can be considered as essential "to preserving life, health and basic societal functioning". The guidance from the government has plenty of room for interpretation and apparently CBSA is allowing exceptions.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
My understanding from that thread (as I asked a similar question there) is...end the end, it will be up to CBSA to decide your fate.

There is no letter/certificate you can get from Public Health. So it is a crap shoot if you can get the exception.

Personally, last week I was leaning thinking about maybe trying it...but...I have kids going back to school and I don't want to be the person to shut down an entire school due to COVID.

I am now looking to outsource my trips to a US friend
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:56 pm

Has anyone here flown internationally and returned as an essential worker with no quarantine required? For example, I am in the food industry and do fall in both the food and agriculture services as well as professional services (accounting) in last section.
I'm an essential worker. However my job isn't listed as being exempt from quarantine.
I found the list a few weeks ago, but can't find it tonight.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 5:55 am

Programs: AC 100K, AC 2MM, SAS Diamond, AA P; Avis CM

I've been flying throughout as an 'essential worker' and returning with out quarantine (CPH-FRA-YYZ and CPH-ZRH-YYZ). It's a crap shoot.

CBSA is responsible for the administration of the QA and it's been getting more difficult and requirements more established. Initially all you needed was a letter from your employer stating you were essential and that did the trick.

Since the end of June, if you state/claim you're exempt, you're pulled aside for an interview with Border Services. The interviewing agent has the final decision. Multiple questions about what you do, why it's essential, etc., as well as your personal situation. My company's legal prepared a list of the statues and provided interpretations and testimonials.. Also being on a provincial list of essential workers isn't the same as the federal list. It's essentially one big circle of legislation but the main points to be satisfied seem to be:

Public Safety Canada,” Guidance on Essential Services and Functions in Canada During the COVID-19 Pandemic, Annex A: Essential Services and Functions by Critical Infrastructure Sector"
“Order in Council (OIC)– 18 Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Mandatory Isolation), No. 3, Section 6 e”;

You have to prove what you do is essential, that the trip was essential and that these two are related.

You can get a "interpretive" letter from Public Health. It's not binding, but is supposed to be helpful. See below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...gulations.html

under Quarantine Act section.

Last edited by YYZHRE; Aug 10, 2020 at 6:15 am
Old Aug 10, 2020, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by YYZHRE
I've been flying throughout as an 'essential worker' and returning with out quarantine (CPH-FRA-YYZ and CPH-ZRH-YYZ). It's a crap shoot.

CBSA is responsible for the administration of the QA and it's been getting more difficult and requirements more established. Initially all you needed was a letter from your employer stating you were essential and that did the trick.

Since the end of June, if you state/claim you're exempt, you're pulled aside for an interview with Border Services. The interviewing agent has the final decision. Multiple questions about what you do, why it's essential, etc., as well as your personal situation. My company's legal prepared a list of the statues and provided interpretations and testimonials.. Also being on a provincial list of essential workers isn't the same as the federal list. It's essentially one big circle of legislation but the main points to be satisfied seem to be:

Public Safety Canada,” Guidance on Essential Services and Functions in Canada During the COVID-19 Pandemic, Annex A: Essential Services and Functions by Critical Infrastructure Sector"
“Order in Council (OIC)– 18 Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Mandatory Isolation), No. 3, Section 6 e”;

You have to prove what you do is essential, that the trip was essential and that these two are related.

You can get a "interpretive" letter from Public Health. It's not binding, but is supposed to be helpful. See below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...gulations.html

under Quarantine Act section.
This is a very helpful post! Thanks.

Yes, it is a crap shoot. I would like to commend the CBSA officers on the front line, for their professionalism in the face of a lot of uncertainty. They are obviously under pressure from both sides, to keep the border slammed shut on one hand and to open it to business travelers on the other. I think they are doing a good job, overall.

On the policy side, the government will come under increasing pressure to grant quarantine exceptions to international business travelers. I hope that they won't be seeking a New Zealand situation (zero community spread) before starting to open up. With our proximity to the petri dish that the US has become, that simply isn't feasible and it doesn't make sense to throttle international business travel indefinitely in an attempt to achieve it.

C19 is in the process of changing from a high level emergency to a low level chronic threat that we're all going to have to learn to live with for the time being. Key to living with it will be to implement pragmatic control measures including a less restrictive policy on international travel.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Cry me a river. There are millions of Canadians who have to feed their families and many are struggling because of the virus.

Whether your business is "essential" is a determination that should be made by government and health authorities. What is more essential is that Canadians are not infected by business travelers who are gaming the system.
It is. At least in case of my employer. Only field workers that really have to travel to work site were declared essential. And we are still harassed by the authorities and have to undergo covid testing. I had 3 tests done in last 10 days. And further tests are on the horizon. I'm actually getting fed up. Do I care if somebody won't get water of will get flooded with sewage? For now yes, but with every post as yours my doubts are growing stronger.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I know this is going to be unpopular on a forum full of people who fly for work - but this IMHO is bullcrap.
Of course the business one works for deems your work trip "essential" - to their ability to make money, but counters everything the border closure is supposed to achieve - import of covid.People who fly for work, and especially people who meet with others while doing said work, are much higher risk than for example someone who leaves the country and stays at their US cottage by themselves, or goes to the Caribbean to sail their boat.
Yeah, Sure. I'm returning from a business trip to BDA today. BDA has a grand total of 9 active cases and I've been repeatedly being tested negative. Yes, I'm very, very dangerous
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
It is. At least in case of my employer. Only field workers that really have to travel to work site were declared essential. And we are still harassed by the authorities and have to undergo covid testing. I had 3 tests done in last 10 days. And further tests are on the horizon. I'm actually getting fed up. Do I care if somebody won't get water of will get flooded with sewage? For now yes, but with every post as yours my doubts are growing stronger.
The Canadian government should be commended for setting a high standard for workers who are returning to Canada after plying their trade outside the country. It is one of the reasons that we have escaped the cataclysmic events south of the border.

"Essential workers" who are whining about tests should appreciate that the alternative is a 14 quarantine or not working outside the country. A few swabs up the nose in return for a steady paycheck is a trade-off many Canadians who are not working would make without complaint.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The Canadian government should be commended for setting a high standard for workers who are returning to Canada after plying their trade outside the country. It is one of the reasons that we have escaped the cataclysmic events south of the border.

"Essential workers" who are whining about tests should appreciate that the alternative is a 14 quarantine or not working outside the country. A few swabs up the nose in return for a steady paycheck is a trade-off many Canadians who are not working would make without complaint.
That Canadian higher standard is recognized worldwide as people who have stayed in Canada have more travel privileges than Americans who project an image of everything out of control. (Not that it isn't).

Gratitude is seeing what you have compared to many others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.