Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Handling of returning Canadian travelers in the COVID era

Handling of returning Canadian travelers in the COVID era

Old May 18, 21, 9:03 pm

Seems to not work if you fly to the US to get vaccinated. Drivers only.

So, basically only helps US citizens living in Canada as Canadians cannot drive across the border right now.

This is dumb. With the limited vaccine supply in Canada, the government should be encouraging Canadians to seek other options and not this very limited exemption that helps so few.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 18, 21, 9:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Youponder View Post

So, basically only helps US citizens living in Canada as Canadians cannot drive across the border right now.

This is dumb. With the limited vaccine supply in Canada, the government should be encouraging Canadians to seek other options and not this very limited exemption that helps so few.
Canadians can claim that they are seeking medical care in the US. That is listed as an exemption to cross the border.
Sinead2000 likes this.
Old May 18, 21, 9:10 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience, dbarton. I've not heard of anyone paying less than 3 days in Toronto. I know I am less safe at those hotels than I am at home.
Old May 18, 21, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)

It's illegal for Canadians to drive across the border? I didn't know that since we can fly anytime wherever in the world
Old May 18, 21, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Originally Posted by supatight80 View Post
It's illegal for Canadians to drive across the border? I didn't know that since we can fly anytime wherever in the world
No you can't. Plenty of countries, including most of Europe and Asia, currently don't allow entry by Canadians.

Same for the US - the US government currently (well, for more than a year now) restricts entry of Canadians by land, although they do permit it by air.

It's not the Canadian government making it illegal for you to leave. It's other countries restricting your right to enter.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 19, 21, 12:05 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by airoli View Post
No you can't. Plenty of countries, including most of Europe and Asia, currently don't allow entry by Canadians.

Same for the US - the US government currently (well, for more than a year now) restricts entry of Canadians by land, although they do permit it by air.

It's not the Canadian government making it illegal for you to leave. It's other countries restricting your right to enter.
You are right. Was being too general. My point was the government allows Canadians to fly abroad to countries that allow them in.

What I didn't know until you've mentioned it is that US restricts land entry from Canada for Canadians.

Thanks
Old May 20, 21, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ View Post
Canadians can claim that they are seeking medical care in the US. That is listed as an exemption to cross the border.
not anymore

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ated-1.5434903
Old May 20, 21, 5:51 am

Programs: AC Altitude 75k, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Canada has a real opportunity to lead here with respect to allowing vaccinated Canadian's to bypass quarantine....but as usual we just sit and wait and nothing gets done.
Old May 20, 21, 7:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by rau90 View Post
Canada has a real opportunity to lead here with respect to allowing vaccinated Canadian's to bypass quarantine....but as usual we just sit and wait and nothing gets done.
Things will change when the US and the EU open up. We are followers, not leaders. Less than 4% of Canadians are fully vaccinated so it's too early. Once enough people are fully vaccinated, people will start pushing to get their normal lives back and that's when we'll see decent changes.
Old May 20, 21, 8:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
A better example from CBC: Hundreds of grateful Canadians flock to border after Blackfeet Tribe in Montana offers COVID vaccines to all
Old May 20, 21, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by yyzsfoflyer View Post
Similar experience for my Day 10 test. I had booked a Purolator pickup for Saturday 12-4. Woke up early on Saturday and joined the Switch queue for a nurse (400 people, 2 hr wait). At the 1h30m mark and with 5 people in the queue in front of me, the system disconnected me and, contrary to the website message, lost my place in line and was now at position 550. Knowing that Purolator could come pickup the package before I connected with a nurse, I left the website, turned on my camera to record a video, self administered the test as per instructions, and put out the package with the Biohazard label on my front door. The video was not necessary, just insurance against possible obstinate bureaucrats.
Tomorrow is Day 8 test for me, and I have a packed work schedule, back to back calls all day, so no time to sit on hold for hours.

Sounds like self-administrated test is the way to go, like the video idea just in case... did you get your test results and exit quarantined just as if you had waited on the line with the nurse?

Any others do self-admin without compliance issues?

Added: I just opened the kits, and it says both "Testing must be completed by logging into the Switch Health portal and completing a telehealth appointment" AND "Do not conduct this kit on your own".... so.... did it work?

Last edited by AskTravis; May 20, 21 at 12:57 pm Reason: added footnote
Old May 20, 21, 2:22 pm

When we did our day 8 tests we were given a time of 4:30 pm to log in. We logged in at 6:30 am and got right in...almost no wait. Now waiting for the results is a different problem!!!
Old May 20, 21, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by CRC99 View Post
When we did our day 8 tests we were given a time of 4:30 pm to log in. We logged in at 6:30 am and got right in...almost no wait. Now waiting for the results is a different problem!!!
Thanks, I will try the same in the morning and report back
Old May 20, 21, 6:12 pm

Thinking... does anyone know how early this Switch Health site is available? i.e. if I wait until after Midnight tonight, is it available?
Old May 20, 21, 7:09 pm

I have to take my Day 8 test on Saturday... of the Victoria Day weekend. So does that mean that Purolator won't pick up until Tuesday? I thought I read somewhere that the test has to be picked up within 48 hours or it's invalid - maybe it was on the printout I got with the test at the border? Anyone else see that too? And ... does this mean I'm out of luck for getting my test in until next week?

Search this Thread