Handling of returning Canadian travelers in the COVID era

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Handling of returning Canadian travelers in the COVID era

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2021, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Didn't ON "close" the borders with Quebec and Manitoba about a week ago?
Not to Ontario residents.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:08 pm

I also duitifully printed out the ArrivCan code. The CBSA didn't want it. Same for my quarantine plan. She was not intersted. She did asked questions about issues that were overed in the plan.
CBSA already knows your ArriveCan code and the corresponding quarantine plan that you completed online/on the app. They look it up by your passport/Nexus number.
jackmaninov likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:29 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
You must download the app to enter Canada. But then I delete it.
The APP is not required but you are required to register online - which I did. This is internet only and I brought the paper printout with me showing my registration code. Not everyone has a smart phone - but everyone should be able to get internet access.
My friend had the app on her phone - - day 3 she went to the doctor (allowed) and within 90 minutes of walking out the door - she had a visit from the Q-officer!!!! Well - - you could say coincidence - - but . . !!??
Old May 1, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
Question for the forum - what documents are required to support "essential/exempt travel"? I don't even know if my travel would be exempt.

In short, I am a consultant and required to be on-site at client sites accross Florida a few times this winter (they are Primary Care Physicians offices). Instead of flying back and forth all winter I spent the winter in Florida and travel to site as nessesary. Now, I would like to come back to canada. I am flying to buffalo next Saturday. Is my travel essential? If so, how do I prove this? Contracts with client, car rental slips, parking reciepts?

​​​​​​
Old May 1, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Not quite sure why your career is a Cdn border officer’s business. They have the authority to check immigration, customs and quarantine on behalf of public health. As a Cdn citizen you have the right to enter and leave Canada as you wish. As long as you have no contraband and don’t exceed your customs allowance your career is none of their business.
The answer is simple. The federal government's order mandated CBSA with assessing our exemption requests. That made our careers a CBSA business. Sadly. Something to remember in fall 2023.
Old May 1, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by yyz_consulted
Question for the forum - what documents are required to support "essential/exempt travel"? I don't even know if my travel would be exempt.

In short, I am a consultant and required to be on-site at client sites accross Florida a few times this winter (they are Primary Care Physicians offices). Instead of flying back and forth all winter I spent the winter in Florida and travel to site as nessesary. Now, I would like to come back to canada. I am flying to buffalo next Saturday. Is my travel essential? If so, how do I prove this? Contracts with client, car rental slips, parking reciepts?

​​​​​​
I came to the border with the appropriate paperwork and met the definition of essential on the government website. Based on things I’d read on FT, I was prepared for it to go either way.

CBSA agent not at all interested and came across as vindictive in this regard. Would not even look at the paperwork. As has been stated several times on FT, the agents get to make the decision and there’s lots of subjectivity.

This particular agent had some sort of issue with the people in the car ahead and sent them to secondary. Shouting etc. Simply not worth the argument. One that would be impossible to win. No point in jeopardizing my Nexus or having something on my “file”.
Old May 1, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by yyz_consulted

​​​​​​
What you need are contracts with your Canadian clients in health care. You need to prove that you will do essential work in Canada. Otherwise you may be denied exemption.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I've filled out my ArriveCAN for my trip home next week, however quarantine plan only allows for one location. I plan to move from my primary residence after a few days and Test #1 results received, to my (very isolated) secondary property, to allow my family to return home. Will maintain quarantine, food, gas, etc. all ready sorted.

How do I indicate this, i.e. do I need to disclose somehow? Doesn't seem like I can go back in and add a second date range or anything like that.

Thanks!

T.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by AskTravis
I've filled out my ArriveCAN for my trip home next week, however quarantine plan only allows for one location. I plan to move from my primary residence after a few days and Test #1 results received, to my (very isolated) secondary property, to allow my family to return home. Will maintain quarantine, food, gas, etc. all ready sorted.

How do I indicate this, i.e. do I need to disclose somehow? Doesn't seem like I can go back in and add a second date range or anything like that.

Thanks!

T.
I am pretty sure you must stay in the same place for the entire quarantine period except to leave only for a medical emergency.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:33 pm

Thanks!

T.
I wouldn't mention it a priori. Then when you DO change location after arrival, you contact them. The change must be due to exceptional circumstances. According to:
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ecan/help.html
To update your contact information or quarantine address after crossing the border, contact us. You must provide:
  • your full name
  • date of birth
  • date of arrival
  • previous contact information
  • new contact information or quarantine address
A change in quarantine location should only happen in exceptional circumstances. Examples of exceptional circumstances include:
  • the unexpected arrival of an elderly family member at your place of quarantine
  • being unable to obtain the necessities of life at your place of quarantine
Old May 3, 2021, 8:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma

Thanks!

T.
Any chance you can just go to your secondary place for the whole time? Would be easiest.

Reminder — do your ArriveCan not more than 48 hrs before arrival. Otherwise the system will delete your info. I had two or three CBSA people tell me this,
Old May 3, 2021, 8:54 pm

I am pretty sure you must stay in the same place for the entire quarantine period except to leave only for a medical emergency.
I've been researching, and I don't see this specifically listed/mentioned anywhere, it just says you need a quarantine plan (which this would, no human interaction planned)
Old May 3, 2021, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by under2100
I wouldn't mention it a priori. Then when you DO change location after arrival, you contact them. The change must be due to exceptional circumstances. According to:
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ecan/help.html
To update your contact information or quarantine address after crossing the border, contact us. You must provide:
  • your full name
  • date of birth
  • date of arrival
  • previous contact information
  • new contact information or quarantine address
A change in quarantine location should only happen in exceptional circumstances. Examples of exceptional circumstances include:
  • the unexpected arrival of an elderly family member at your place of quarantine
  • being unable to obtain the necessities of life at your place of quarantine
Perfect, very helpful, thanks, will call after I return.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:58 pm

Reminder — do your ArriveCan not more than 48 hrs before arrival. Otherwise the system will delete your info. I had two or three CBSA people tell me this,
Also very helpful, did not know this.
Old May 3, 2021, 9:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
That is how I read it as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.