Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can Americans connect in Canada if border closed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

I'm an American citizen and living in the US, I often find cheaper biz class flights by flying into/out of YYZ. If Canada remains closed due to COVID19, will they let me fly into Canada (on A/C) for the purpose of just connecting there onto another int'l fly back out of Canada, so say JFK-YYZ-XXX? Thanks for taking the time to reply and please be safe!!!
Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are no hypotheticals in these situations. Where is "XXX"? It may matter a great deal.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Routing is JFK-YYZ-EZE so EZE is the final destination. Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 4:42 pm

Theoretically this is possible. The rules allow for transit passengers if you do NOT have to go through CBSA/Passport Control and go landside. And during normal operations of YYZ this is what you would do.

However anything can change, seeing as your proposed flight must be at least 6 weeks away?
Old Jul 18, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
JFK-YYZ is what, Delta or AA - noone else flies that route? and YYZ-EZE is AC - therefore, no, terminal change.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
JFK-YYZ is what, Delta or AA - noone else flies that route? and YYZ-EZE is AC - therefore, no, terminal change.
Yeah, but the unfortunate part is, the long leg is on AC.

David
Old Jul 20, 2020, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soxfanndc
I'm an American citizen and living in the US, I often find cheaper biz class flights by flying into/out of YYZ. If Canada remains closed due to COVID19, will they let me fly into Canada (on A/C) for the purpose of just connecting there onto another int'l fly back out of Canada, so say JFK-YYZ-XXX? Thanks for taking the time to reply and please be safe!!!
I don't think you would be able to, as unless things have changed very recently, you have to clear customers / immigration, transfer from T3 to T1 and then go through security again. The Canadian government site says the only exemption for transiting passengers is if they stay sterile:

"Transit passengers - The Orders exempt persons arriving at a Canadian airport aboard a commercial passenger conveyance and who are transiting to a country other than Canada and remains in a sterile transit area within the meaning of section 2 of IRPR."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...trictions.html
Old Jul 20, 2020, 11:30 am

Lucky @ OMAAT did this successfully in YUL on the weekend. Of course no terminal change there...
Old Jul 28, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: AC
You may be able to accomplish what you want by using an airline that flies into T1 like Air Canada or United. However these airlines only fly to YYZ from LGA or Newark.

Originally Posted by emma69
I don't think you would be able to, as unless things have changed very recently, you have to clear customers / immigration, transfer from T3 to T1 and then go through security again. The Canadian government site says the only exemption for transiting passengers is if they stay sterile:

"Transit passengers - The Orders exempt persons arriving at a Canadian airport aboard a commercial passenger conveyance and who are transiting to a country other than Canada and remains in a sterile transit area within the meaning of section 2 of IRPR."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...trictions.html
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Is there a reason why you must fly out of JFK rather than LGA or EWR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.