Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

AA to WS overnight YUL / Montreal connection.

AA to WS overnight YUL / Montreal connection.

Old May 30, 20, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald. GF Black; Accor Silver; Hyatt Explorist.
Question AA to WS overnight YUL / Montreal connection.

Would really appreciate any advice for this Dec sector I'm doing.
Am on a QF ticket with AA, J class from MIA-YUL arriving YUL 11PM then YUL-YHZ Dep 10AM following morning with WestJet.

1. Is there Canadian pre-clearance in MIA or do I just go through normal international arrival procedures in YUL? How busy might YUL be at 11PM?

2. Will I be able to check bags straight through and get WS BP or do I grab my suitcase at YUL and re-check with WS next morning?

3. I'm tossing up spending an exorbidant $400AUD for the standard in terminal Marriott at YUL, or using Accor ALL points for the Montreal Airport Novotel which involves a 10 min shuttle ride on an almost certainly freezing snowy December winter night. Any advice here?

Cheers in advance.
CJ
Old May 30, 20, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm not aware of ANY US Airports that have pre-clearance. I know that BDA and YYZ have pre-clearance for travelers TO the USA, and I think some other airports.

I have no personal experience with bags, but I'd bet dollars to donuts you will have to claim your bag in YUL and check it again in the morning.

I wouldn't worry that much about "Freezing Snowy Nights." I mean, it depends on how much you value your points and money. But the shuttle will be heated, and even if it's snowing (which no, it doesn't snow every night) cities with frequent snow also have the capacity to clean it up.
GateGuardian likes this.
Old May 30, 20, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.5MM, Bonvoy LIFETIME Titanium Elite, HH Diamd, Priority Clb PLT, Ntnl Exec, Sixt PLT
YUL has a pre-clearance for travel to USA but there is no pre-clearance in MIA.
You would have to clear the immigration in YUL and claim your bag.
Last time I was flying from YUL I was staying in Sheraton nearby - it was not expensive but that was in summer.
Old May 30, 20, 10:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Weíve moved this to the Canada forum for better input that in an airline specific forum.

JDiver, Moderator
Old May 31, 20, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Not that it really matters in this case, but if you are on separate tickets you don’t have a connection. In either case, you’ll have to enter Canada in the regular manner (there is no Canadian preclearance anywhere), pick up your luggage, head to the hotel, and check in again the next morning.
Old May 31, 20, 3:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Marriott Silver
I arrived at YUL at about 11 p.m. on a busy travel weekend late last fall/early winter. It was quite sparse. It took no time at all, sans the walking through the terminal, so that part of the question I can answer. You might as well save the $$ and grab a taxi (immediately outside and waiting, unless a shuttle is available that late) and go to a lower priced airport hotel. There are so many.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old May 31, 20, 1:28 pm

While Canada has the right to set up Preclearance at US airports, the treaty that establishes preclearance grants the rights to both parties, Canada has never exercised those rights. There is no Canadian preclearance in the US currently.
Old Jun 1, 20, 7:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Not that it really matters in this case, but if you are on separate tickets you donít have a connection. In either case, youíll have to enter Canada in the regular manner (there is no Canadian preclearance anywhere), pick up your luggage, head to the hotel, and check in again the next morning.
Qantas is a frequent flyer partner of both AA and WS, so based on the wording of the OP I assume this actually is one ticket, albeit an unusual one (since AA and WS are no longer FF partners). And for international to domestic AC-AC connections in YVR, I have not had to claim and recheck bags. However, I think it varies a lot between airports and airlines in Canada, so I donít know how relevant my experience is for an overnight, interline connection in YUL.
Old Jun 1, 20, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashill View Post
Qantas is a frequent flyer partner of both AA and WS, so based on the wording of the OP I assume this actually is one ticket, albeit an unusual one (since AA and WS are no longer FF partners). And for international to domestic AC-AC connections in YVR, I have not had to claim and recheck bags. However, I think it varies a lot between airports and airlines in Canada, so I donít know how relevant my experience is for an overnight, interline connection in YUL.
For an overnight connection on an international ticket, there is no chance that luggage will be stored. Agree with your statement on the ticket, though in the end that wonít make a difference anyway.
Old Jun 1, 20, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald. GF Black; Accor Silver; Hyatt Explorist.
Hi again,
Just to clarify, I have 5 sectors all on one QF ticket/PNR. (Qantas also gave me the individual AA and WS PNR's). I read that interline between AA and WS is still active despite their partnership ending, probably due to AA not flying to many Canadian ports. From what you guys are saying though, that still wont matter and I'll have to grab my bags in YUL and re-check.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Jun 2, 20, 1:08 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet View Post
I read that interline between AA and WS is still active despite their partnership ending, probably due to AA not flying to many Canadian ports.
AA and WS ended their partnership because WS entered a joint venture partnership with DL and ended their other frequent flyer partnerships with US airlines; every indication is that AA would have preferred to keep the (limited) old frequent flyer partnership. But yes, I don't believe it's even possible to have two airlines that aren't interline partners with each other on the same ticket, and WS still lists AA as an interline partner (along with many others, as is typical, though not Air Canada).
Old Jun 2, 20, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi again,
Just to clarify, I have 5 sectors all on one QF ticket/PNR. (Qantas also gave me the individual AA and WS PNR's). I read that interline between AA and WS is still active despite their partnership ending, probably due to AA not flying to many Canadian ports. From what you guys are saying though, that still wont matter and I'll have to grab my bags in YUL and re-check.

Thanks for the feedback.
I can't comment on the spec interline matter between the two, but overnight storage in this scenario is either not going to happen, or be a bad idea if it is possible.
Old Jun 2, 20, 7:49 am

Hi again,

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm almost certain you'd have to pick up your luggage in YUL, even if it was a same-day connection. The only exception I've run across is INTL to domestic all on AC. Even a *A connection to a domestic AC flight requires a luggage collection at customs (though I hear there is or was work going on to bypass that for *A to domestic AC in the future).
Old Jun 12, 20, 11:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
You clear immigration at YUL.

YUL connection guide.
https://www.admtl.com/en/guide/connecting-flights

You will likely pickup bags if it is overnight connection.

YUL arrivals will be empty at 11PM. All the European wide bodies arrive mid afternoon for evening departures back to Europe. Not many flights to/from Asia.

Hotel shuttles are usually at departures level of US departure terminal and you should have a clear view of arrival shuttles while staying indoors.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: