Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Summer Travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Decided to cancel our vacation to Nfld given how unlikely it was going to happen.

Next option was Vancouver Island - but things for the 2nd half of August seem very sold out, and what was available was non-refundable.
Next option was YGR - but there are zero rental cars available on the island all summer.

So in the end, decided on a 2 week long trip in Quebec/Gaspe - In Gaspe/Perce most accomodation, from camping to B&Bs to hotels is close to sold out. Not a single day available in Forillon NP for accomodation for example in August.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Schweden
Have really noticed a change for the Civic Holiday Long Weekend for southern Ontario and Quebec. It's probably as things have largely reopened. Hotel occupancy seems doubled and there are 15 minute lines just to get into an OnRoute rest area because of the capacity limits. Traffic is back again and lots of inter-provincial travel.
Not a long weekend for Quebec. Was the last weekend of the construction holidays here. Tremblant was so crowded yesterday that the resort closed to non guests.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Decided to cancel our vacation to Nfld given how unlikely it was going to happen.

Next option was Vancouver Island - but things for the 2nd half of August seem very sold out, and what was available was non-refundable.
Next option was YGR - but there are zero rental cars available on the island all summer.

So in the end, decided on a 2 week long trip in Quebec/Gaspe - In Gaspe/Perce most accomodation, from camping to B&Bs to hotels is close to sold out. Not a single day available in Forillon NP for accomodation for example in August.

We booked for Gaspe late September. Hoping by then things are less insane, if not our cabin on a beach will do us fine. Work from a deck with a view and WIFI.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
c'est vrai

You should be fine for Le Gaspe (one of my PF's BTW). I esp. like Florillon - saw a moose @ dawn!

(My flights to/from YVR were not enjoyable - many travelers removed their masks, brought food onboard and otherwise ignored social distancing rules).
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 7:34 am

I'm just back from a great week of hiking and camping in Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland. Part of our 'Atlantic Bubble' so as a resident of Nova Scotia I could travel without a 14 day isolation requirement.

It's been an outdoor summer with great weather and lots of hiking and visits to National Parks close to home. Places I've passed over for years on my way to other Provinces and States and it certainly makes you appreciate what is close by when you can't just hop on that Plane or Train!!
airoli likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 7:35 am

And it was a great trip over to Newfoundland on the 'Marine Atlantic' Ferry.......but the crossing was a bit different in these Covid times: Capacity is reduced to half from the usual 450 vehicles and you have to stay in your assigned space (I had a cabin) and no wandering around the decks. Restaurants and bars are closed so we were given a complementary snack upon boarding consisting of a nice sandwich wrap, fruit, muffin and bottled water. Under normal circumstances I would have been out on deck on this warm, clear evening with every star out but at least my cabin had a window..... and at sunrise the rocky coast of Newfoundland came into view.

Once off the Ferry.......instead of just heading on up the highway we first had to clear 'Newfoundland Customs'......actually it's the Department of Health checking ID's to make sure you are a resident of the Atlantic Provinces and they didn't have to send you into a 14 day isolation!

Old Sep 6, 2020, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
We booked for Gaspe late September. Hoping by then things are less insane, if not our cabin on a beach will do us fine. Work from a deck with a view and WIFI.
We enjoyed our 2 week Quebec trip to close out August. It wasnt crowded at all, you did need reservations for dinner in Perce, and advance lodging reservations, but otherwise, a fun domestic trip. Quebec City, we were told they are operating at 20% this summer for tourists due to lack of cruise ships - which was a blessing for us, but weird to see the Petit Champlain area almost deserted in the summer evenings.

Enjoyed all the bits of Canada this summer.... but ready for some international vacations now!
Old Sep 6, 2020, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
We enjoyed our 2 week Quebec trip to close out August. It wasnt crowded at all, you did need reservations for dinner in Perce, and advance lodging reservations, but otherwise, a fun domestic trip. Quebec City, we were told they are operating at 20% this summer for tourists due to lack of cruise ships - which was a blessing for us, but weird to see the Petit Champlain area almost deserted in the summer evenings.

Enjoyed all the bits of Canada this summer.... but ready for some international vacations now!
Great, thank you for your update. We will do two nights in Quebec City on our way, booked near the Plains of Abraham to enjoy the peace and the art museum. Really looking forward to Gaspe, as girls are vegan and vegetarian, I doubt we will dine out. Accomm booked a long time ago, luckily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.