Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount

Does anyone want to hazard a guess on when this will be lifted?

I have a "vacation" flight to LHR on September 04, 2020.

Thanks!
Old May 20, 2020, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No one knows. Also, you should know that the UK is proposing introducing a 14-day quarantine period for all arrivals. It probably won't last until September, but you should be aware. Also consider what if any insurance coverage you may have if travelling against a foreign travel advisory.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is a Canada question rather than and Air Canada question it's been relocated to the FT Canada destination forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
Old May 20, 2020, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
No one knows. Also, you should know that the UK is proposing introducing a 14-day quarantine period for all arrivals. It probably won't last until September, but you should be aware. Also consider what if any insurance coverage you may have if travelling against a foreign travel advisory.
Yes, I was aware of the possible UK quarantine.

I do have travel insurance. They will only cover me if there is a travel restriction in place on the day I travel (September 04) hence my question. If I was to cancel say today I would not be covered.

Thank you!

Last edited by tcook052; May 20, 2020 at 10:26 am
Old May 20, 2020, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yukonprince
Yes, I was aware of the possible UK quarantine.

I do have travel insurance. They will only cover me if there is a travel restriction in place on the day I travel (September 04) hence my question. If I was to cancel say today I would not be covered.

Thank you!
I was thinking more along the lines of medical insurance while you are in the UK. I'm not sure you'd be covered.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

My retirement blue cross medical has travel medical included unless there was a Canadian Government travel advisory not to travel.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:32 pm

September 5th is my best hazard'd guess.
Old May 20, 2020, 9:25 pm

My retirement blue cross medical has travel medical included unless there was a Canadian Government travel advisory not to travel.
Have you checked that still applied because of COVID? I know Manulife and no doubt others insurers back in early March issued an edict saying since the virus was now a 'known condition' it would be covered in past policies but wouldn't for any new policies issued going forward. The change meant they wouldn't cover any new claims arising from COVID-related trip cancellation as well as global emergency medical insurance.
Old May 20, 2020, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by tcook052
Have you checked that still applied because of COVID? I know Manulife and no doubt others insurers back in early March issued an edict saying since the virus was now a 'known condition' it would be covered in past policies but wouldn't for any new policies issued going forward. The change meant they wouldn't cover any new claims arising from COVID-related trip cancellation as well as global emergency medical insurance.
My Manulife and Mr. Fink’s Sun Life policies are still completely valid for Out of Country travel medical coverage. I checked at the end of March while we were still away and again yesterday as I just booked tickets to the US. I think the difference is ours (like Yukonprince‘s) are employer group benefit insurance plans that include travel coverage, not stand alone travel insurance policies.
Old May 21, 2020, 1:34 am
Suspended

Isn't there?
Old May 21, 2020, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
My Manulife and Mr. Fink’s Sun Life policies are still completely valid for Out of Country travel medical coverage. I checked at the end of March while we were still away and again yesterday as I just booked tickets to the US. I think the difference is ours (like Yukonprince‘s) are employer group benefit insurance plans that include travel coverage, not stand alone travel insurance policies.
Could be the difference, yes, and a good reminder for me to double check my SunLife coverage though benefits plan.
Old May 21, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by tcook052
Could be the difference, yes, and a good reminder for me to double check my SunLife coverage though benefits plan.
I messaged both providers from within my account so I would have the answer in writing. Both answered quickly and confirmed coverage was fully valid for out of country travel. Interestingly, both extended plans use Allianz for out of country claims.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Finkface
I messaged both providers from within my account so I would have the answer in writing. Both answered quickly and confirmed coverage was fully valid for out of country travel. Interestingly, both extended plans use Allianz for out of country claims.
No worry. DW is Manulife and I was Sunlife. Allianz, being more international is more efficient at processing these claims. We had no problem with reimbursement for claims with either or when claiming both (coverage limits).
Old May 21, 2020, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.