FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Print Wikipost

Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
One source (Vancouver Sun) says the land border is not closing but wasn't clear if non-US/Canadian citizen can get through.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
All Vail Resorts properties (which includes Whistler-Blackcomb) are closed for 8 days, 15-22 March inclusive, at least for now.

https://www.snow.com/info/covid-19-update
Good to know, I'm still seeing lots of people at YVR arriving with skis and snowboards though
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:46 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TerryK
My money is on this ends the season.
I was on the hill at 4 PM on Saturday when the closure was announced. Many of the staff were talking about changing their tickets to get home to Europe as they weren't able to make rent for April. I do believe this is accurate, even if I don't want to believe it.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I was on the hill at 4 PM on Saturday when the closure was announced. Many of the staff were talking about changing their tickets to get home to Europe as they weren't able to make rent for April. I do believe this is accurate, even if I don't want to believe it.
Whistler has been too expensive for most casual seasonal workers (those who are there to ski with work helping to pay) that, even if they worked full-time, its costs them more money to live there than they can earn even if they did work the entire season. May be hard for the resort to find staff again for the short remainder (or pay locals a lot). I've read that other Vail Resorts have hired staff who are there to work (may get room and board).
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
Whistler has been too expensive for most casual seasonal workers (those who are there to ski with work helping to pay) that, even if they worked full-time, its costs them more money to live there than they can earn even if they did work the entire season. May be hard for the resort to find staff again for the short remainder (or pay locals a lot). I've read that other Vail Resorts have hired staff who are there to work (may get room and board).
I don't expect Whistler to reopen for the season.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:09 am

Even before this, it seems like very few people were crossing the land border. Blaine border had essentially no cars crossing this past Saturday evening. There were only 2-3 gates open (including 1 Nexus), and there was only 1 other car at the entire border heading into USA. I have never seen the place so dead early evening.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:22 am

I agree

I´m in spain right now and the situation is very chaotic so this are good measures.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I crossed from Detroit to Windsor on Friday to pick up prescriptions. Traffic at the border (tunnel) was VERY light in both the regular & Nexus lane(s) in both directions.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Lucentis
Does this ban apply for transiting passengers? Anybody knows? Thanks! We will be flying from Punta Cana to Frankfurt via Toronto in two days...
Press conference taking place just now. The Canadian Minister of Transport is saying that from tomorrow, March 18th, non-Canadians (with a few specific exceptions) will not be allowed to board flights to Canada.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
US nationals are exempt as of now. But, it is important to pay attention to developments as anything can change in a few hours. Also, remember that just because the border may be open to one, there may still be a quarantine requirement and for many, that is not sustainable.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Hopefully, the US border is closed with an exception for commercial traffic or on a need to travel basis for work or emergency. There are still too many people traveling who should not. The excuse given that it is an important border etc., but the reality is that many of the new cases in Ontario are coming in from the USA. Some are Canadians and others are not. There is no need for discretionary or travelers to cross. Appreciably this could cause grief for those who have second homes in border regions especially the NY,ON, QC, VT border where so many people cross every week. It need only be for 30 days until New York and Ontario can get a handle on this thing. Washington and British Columbia have some serious issues too and need a break.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Yes I am rather shocked that the border is open to the US. Keep the goods traffic open by all means but normal passenger traffic to USA should already have been closed. I think inter province should also be stopped.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
My money is on this ends the season.
Officially now, for all Vail Resorts resorts.

https://www.snow.com/info/vail-resor...x#LEARN%20MORE
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Hopefully, the US border is closed with an exception for commercial traffic or on a need to travel basis for work or emergency. There are still too many people traveling who should not. The excuse given that it is an important border etc., but the reality is that many of the new cases in Ontario are coming in from the USA. Some are Canadians and others are not. There is no need for discretionary or travelers to cross. Appreciably this could cause grief for those who have second homes in border regions especially the NY,ON, QC, VT border where so many people cross every week. It need only be for 30 days until New York and Ontario can get a handle on this thing. Washington and British Columbia have some serious issues too and need a break.
I took a bee-keeping course a few years ago (and have ordered a starter nuc for this spring). The situation kind of reminds me of what happens when a diseased hive starts to collapse. The worker bees will go to and join other hives bringing the diseases and parasites (e.g., Varroa mite) with them. Kind of hard to keep other bees out.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:33 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Officially now, for all Vail Resorts resorts.

https://www.snow.com/info/vail-resor...x#LEARN%20MORE
So sad. Hope they show a little love with some pro-rated credits for the unused passes. Many travellers are impacted thanks to a no notice change. . . not to mention those staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.