Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel

Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 21, 20, 11:38 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: seawolf
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 20, 20, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
There are many, MANY Americans who go un-ticketed. This is just the one authorities decided to act on.

This is less about them entering illegally, more about them lying about being on the way to Alaska and then going to tourist sites.
Again, the point is: 330 million Americans. How many do you think have illegally entered Canada? Thousands I'm sure, but I'm also pretty sure that thousands have illegally entered the US also. It'll probably get worse this winter and tilted more one way than the other.

It's totally fine for Canadian authorities to crack down on these people. I support that. But I'm getting weary of these continual posts about the terrible Americans entering illegally. It is a tiny, tiny fraction of our country and not entirely one sided.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 20, 20, 11:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by JNelson113 View Post
This is one guy out of a country of 330 million people. There have certainly been others, but the vast, vast majority of Americans are respecting your boundary closure. I'm pretty sure that there have been some Canadians who have illegally entered our country too during this time.
More difficult for Canadians to "illegally enter US" as US allows for Canadians to enter by air with no restrictions or quarantine to begin with

This person wasn't sneaking in They abused the Lower 48 states to Alaska waiver Canadians provided. The only US equivalent I'm aware of is residents of Campobello Island (population under 1,000) would have to enter US to get to other parts of Canada.
wahooflyer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 20, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Exclamation

It seems despite my advisory in post 265 a few short days ago to avoid general COVID commentary such as infections rates or the politics of pandemic response it's come up again so a post has been deleted. I'll ask one final time for those conversations to be moved elsewhere on FT and this thread kept for the thread topic or this thread will be closed.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
Old Aug 21, 20, 10:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Updated wiki with links reflecting non-essential prohibited until 21 SEP (non-essential allowed into US by air) as well as Massachusetts mandatory quarantine.
Old Aug 28, 20, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE100K AC-MM BA-S HH-D IHG-Amb

Old Sep 15, 20, 3:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Old Sep 21, 20, 7:00 am

US Citizen Flying out of Toronto - Is it possible?

Hello,

I've searched and am unable to find an answer to this question.

I'm based in Rochester, NY and often fly out of YYZ because of the drastic cost savings. Question - Can US Citizens enter Canada to fly in/out of Toronto?

Thanks,
Old Sep 21, 20, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer2018 View Post
Hello,

I'm based in Rochester, NY and often fly out of YYZ because of the drastic cost savings. Question - Can US Citizens enter Canada to fly in/out of Toronto?

Thanks,
I would expect that you would not be able to until the Canadians open the land borders to US citizens. Under normal circumstances, you would be able to fly out of Toronto.
Old Sep 21, 20, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer2018 View Post
Hello,

Thanks,
Currently you may not enter Canada unless you meet very specific exceptions, and cost of flights sadly isn't one of them.
Old Sep 21, 20, 2:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this is query about Canadian immigration policies, we will move this over to the Canada forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Sep 23, 20, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Does anyone have recent experience entering Canada from the US as a business visitor post-COVID? My company is slowly resuming business travel and it would be beneficial for me to make a visit to our Canadian locations at some point soon. My work in Canada would consist of audits and operational observations that can't be done remotely - our Canadian offices have laid off most of their staff with only a skeleton crew remaining (essentially our Canadian CEO + a handful of other essential employees). The bulk of their normal work that can be done remotely is now done by myself and my team here in the US.

If I were to attempt a business trip to Canada while the border is still closed to non-essential travel, and have a letter from our Canadian CEO authorizing my travel, would CBSA consider my visit "essential" and thus exempt from entry or quarantine restrictions? I'm thinking the answer is probably "no" but just wanted to see if anyone else here has made a similar attempt. The guidance on the Canadian government web site is vague as to what constitutes "essential" business travel. I am a US citizen with no status in Canada, just a NEXUS card and frequent cross-border trips pre-COVID.
Old Sep 23, 20, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I suspect the answer, as you say, is 'no'. The only way you stand a chance, in my opinion, is to get the Canadian company to plead your case. Perhaps they should make some enquiries with CBSA.
wahooflyer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 20, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by wahooflyer View Post
Does anyone have recent experience entering Canada from the US as a business visitor post-COVID? My company is slowly resuming business travel and it would be beneficial for me to make a visit to our Canadian locations at some point soon. My work in Canada would consist of audits and operational observations that can't be done remotely - our Canadian offices have laid off most of their staff with only a skeleton crew remaining (essentially our Canadian CEO + a handful of other essential employees). The bulk of their normal work that can be done remotely is now done by myself and my team here in the US.

If I were to attempt a business trip to Canada while the border is still closed to non-essential travel, and have a letter from our Canadian CEO authorizing my travel, would CBSA consider my visit "essential" and thus exempt from entry or quarantine restrictions? I'm thinking the answer is probably "no" but just wanted to see if anyone else here has made a similar attempt. The guidance on the Canadian government web site is vague as to what constitutes "essential" business travel. I am a US citizen with no status in Canada, just a NEXUS card and frequent cross-border trips pre-COVID.
See if your work falls under one of the possible essential work categories here: https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/n...sf-sfe-en.aspx

If it does, next, as LondonElite mentioned, have the Canadian arm of the company produce a letter indicating such. The answer is not 100% no. But be prepared to have them say no. Also, depending on what province you are entering the local health ministry may have additional documentation requirements to approve exemption from quarantine if you are permitted to enter Canada.

Given that there was an error in judgement recently that made it into the news regarding US citizens being allowed in without quarantine to perform what ended up being deemed non-essential work, I'm sure these type of requests are already being scrutinized more closely.
wahooflyer and YZF_Elite like this.
Old Sep 25, 20, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
See if your work falls under one of the possible essential work categories here: https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/n...sf-sfe-en.aspx
Thank you - this is exactly what I have been looking for! At a glance, the work I would be doing in Canada falls into at least two of the exempted categories for "essential services." I will just have to ask our Canadian CEO to write a letter and prepare to spend extra time at the border on my arrival into YYZ. My trip, if it even happens, won't be until late October so we still have some time to prepare and see if it's even worthwhile.
Old Yesterday, 7:16 am

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Thanks - quote " ... there are limited reasons for US citizens to be allowed entry into Canada " .... combined with the rules posted by RangerNS which state that "- This does not apply to passengers arriving from the USA traveling for a purpose other than tourism."

Acknowledging that siblings do not qualify under the rules as immediate family, I'm curious as to to whether a US national - the brother of a Canadian PR - would be allowed into Canada for his (the PR's) wedding (respecting quarantine rules) - especially in the context of the rules posted above by RangerNS.

Does travelling to Canada for the sole purpose of attending a wedding constitute 'tourism'?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: