Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel

Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Print Wikipost

Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel

Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Canada has just extended the USA border closure to non-essential travel until at least July 21.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...il-july-322449
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
https://www.peacearchnews.com/news/c...-passion-park/

Those separated on opposite sides of the border due to the closure can reunite (temporarily) at Peace Arch.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:01 am

Does anyone know when Canadian borders will reopen to European citizens? I was supposed to go see my sister in August, she leaves in Vancouver...
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by julie_rodriguez
Does anyone know when Canadian borders will reopen to European citizens? I was supposed to go see my sister in August, she leaves in Vancouver...
I suspect probably not until the end of August.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Canada has just extended the USA border closure to non-essential travel until at least July 21.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...il-july-322449
At least no one should be surprised, as this had been signaled.

I already gave up on visiting Atlantic Canada in July. The problem with int'l travel now is more politics than virus. I have airline tickets to go to the Canadian Rockies in September. I still like my odds, but it's certainly no sure thing. At this point, they could decide to keep the border closed all year. Why not? It's easy to be fearful. I figure it has to be open next winter when Canadians will mutiny if they can't head south.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by iahphx
At least no one should be surprised, as this had been signaled.

I already gave up on visiting Atlantic Canada in July. The problem with int'l travel now is more politics than virus. I have airline tickets to go to the Canadian Rockies in September. I still like my odds, but it's certainly no sure thing. At this point, they could decide to keep the border closed all year. Why not? It's easy to be fearful. I figure it has to be open next winter when Canadians will mutiny if they can't head south.
May I ask why you like your odds for September? I would love a dose of optimism. Had to cancel my annual Whistler trip yesterday. I could use a pick me up. :-)
Old Jun 17, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNelson113
May I ask why you like your odds for September? I would love a dose of optimism. Had to cancel my annual Whistler trip yesterday. I could use a pick me up. :-)
The virus does only one thing: it goes away. The problem is that it can go away slowly, especially if your area hasn't been hit hard. So-called "flattening the curve" has upside and downside. The policy was never implemented to actually reduce cases, just relieve the strain on the health care system, so you wind up getting a longer, flatter curve. That's almost certainly what we're seeing in the USA in places far from NYC now. In the USA Northeast, the virus is now disappearing quickly. This is no different than Europe's experience.

Unless we get a completely unexpected twist, we will continue to see hospitalizations in the USA and Canada decrease in the next month. The USA should be at only a few hundred deaths within three weeks. You can see these numbers dropping sharply already (even on Worldometer, where they're very skewed by states "dumping death" from "probable" cases many weeks ago). I would note that Canada's deaths-per-million number is very similar to America's if you exclude the few counties making up the NYC metro area.

With declining deaths and hospitalizations, logic would suggest everyone will be more comfortable with cross-border traffic. What does worry me is that there are provinces in Canada with almost no death. This can be a bad thing because it makes you VERY scared about COVID -- so scared you don't act rationally. You see this in America, too, like Hawaii. So there's no guarantee the border will open in a couple months. But I do think it likely, at least based on the science and data.

BTW, if you want to see what's happening in America, take a look at Massachusetts data. Because of their proximity to NYC, they were hit very hard and fairly early. You can see what the virus does over time (especially since Massachusetts does a good job presenting their data). The virus is less scary when you know the real facts, and don't rely on scare-mongering media.
https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Unless we get a completely unexpected twist, we will continue to see hospitalizations in the USA and Canada decrease in the next month. The USA should be at only a few hundred deaths within three weeks. .......
May want to check what is going on in Texas (and Arizona):

Originally Posted by WFAA.com
Author: Jennifer Prohov (WFAA)
Published: 12:28 PM CDT June 17, 2020
Updated: 2:05 PM CDT June 17, 2020

There are now at least 2,793 people currently hospitalized across Texas with COVID-19, the highest number the state has seen since the pandemic began. That number jumped up by 275 more people from Tuesday's statewide report, which had again broken records for hospitalizations following days of increasing record highs.
Across North Texas, at least 859 people infected with the coronavirus are currently hospitalized, according to state officials, another new record high for the region as well. That number jumped by about 100 people in just one day.North Texas as a region now has the highest number of COVID-19 patients hospitalized in the state, surpassing the region around Houston, which had previously been the state leader.

Those numbers are now up 65% locally and 85% statewide since Memorial Day.
WFAA Channel 8 Dallas
Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
May want to check what is going on in Texas (and Arizona):

WFAA Channel 8 Dallas
Yeah, hospitalizations are going up in Texas but, interestingly, deaths are not. Lots of young people are now getting COVID tests in the USA so the number of cases is pretty meaningless (most are asymptomatic), but obviously the hospital number matters. Worth watching, but it's still at a very low level -- their peak is now the Northeast's ebb on a per capita basis! We'll have to see how it plays out because it's a little different than what's been seen elsewhere. The reality, of course, is that everyone's who's susceptible to the COVID virus (we don't know how many) has to get the virus before it ends -- until either there's herd immunity or a vaccine. Or you can try to wall yourself off, which has its own obvious problems.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:09 pm

I plan to travel to Canada on a US passport. My mom is CDN and there is an exception for those flying to Canada to visit Parents....it also mentioned the 14 days in quarantine in Canada. Is this in a hotel or can it be at my mom's place? What prove do I need to show relationship? I spoke to my sister who lives in Vancouver this morning and her interpretation is quarantine first 14 days in the hotel and NOT at my mom's place. which is correct?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by metoo
I plan to travel to Canada on a US passport. My mom is CDN and there is an exception for those flying to Canada to visit Parents....it also mentioned the 14 days in quarantine in Canada. Is this in a hotel or can it be at my mom's place? What prove do I need to show relationship? I spoke to my sister who lives in Vancouver this morning and her interpretation is quarantine first 14 days in the hotel and NOT at my mom's place. which is correct?
Are you sure you can enter? Are you a dependant child? If you are a Canadian citizen, disregard but I am assuming you are not.

Foreign nationals who are immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents can enter Canada for a discretionary (non-essential) purpose if they meet all of the following requirements: <snip>
Find out more about
travel restrictions for immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents.

The information on that page says:
An immediate family member is defined as aImmediate family member is a child
Where the foreign national is a child, age and dependency determine whether they meet the family member definition under IRPR as a dependent child, and consequently whether they meet the immediate family member definition of the Orders. However, note that a foreign national who is an adult child of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is not eligible under this provision, may be exempt under the family reunification exemption.

Last edited by Finkface; Jun 19, 2020 at 12:47 pm Reason: Fixed large font
Old Jun 19, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Here are the detailed rules regarding the quarantine upon arrival in Canada. It does not need to be at a hotel but it needs to be in a place where you can be away from the public and from vulnerable groups - which may include your mother depending on her age. When entering the country, you must show a plan on where you will stay, who will bring you food etc.

If your plan is not convincing, you can be compelled to quarantine in a hotel.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 2:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Methinks that CDN officers would be fairly flexible in this situation, though the quarantine may be tough if you wanted to do it at your mother's place - I'm guessing she would be required to stay at home as well (for the two weeks) and you would need a third party to bring food (unless it was stockpiled before arrival).

That said, IMHO the Gate Agent would be the biggest obstacle, as they control who gets to board a plane headed for CDN.

Maybe your mother has an illness that needs help?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Here's an interesting article about the current border closure: https://www.bellinghamherald.com/new...243666227.html
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:18 am

CBSA's website has the US border measures expiring on June 21, with no update. Does anyone have up-to-date information as to whether US border entry restrictions have been lifted or extended?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.