Last edit by: seawolf
Print Wikipost

Canada bans entry from foreigners; restricting entry to non-essential travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2020, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by iahphx
You're so funny. Or at least you think you are. The virus situation seems to be worse in Montreal than it is in NYC. That doesn't make Montreal "dangerous" though, unless you're in a nursing home. I would, of course, take more precautions there than I would in Charlottetown (where I would take no precautions).
The words "more dangerous" were yours not mine.

You don't make a case for reopening the border when you claim you would take "no precautions" in Charlottetown. The last thing PEI needs are people coming from nations with higher per capita infection and death rates who refuse to take precautions.
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

After deleting a few posts I considered closing this thread permanently but will post a fair warning and see if that suffices as this thread is a not a coronavirus discussion thread but rather a travel restrictions thread caused by the virus so please save the wider debate about infections rates, transmission, treatment, etc. for other forums. More off topic posts will be deleted and may earn disciplinary action.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
JNelson113, lo2e and EmailKid like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:57 pm

The border between the Yukon and BC will open July 1. If you have been in BC and the Yukon for at least two weeks, you well be allowed to travel to the Yukon without having to self-isolate on arrival.

Likewise, the border between Nunavut and the NWT will open, but I haven't seen the exact date announced yet.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
I'm going to be traveling to Mexico for work later this month, returning at the end of the month. Canadian authorities have told me that on arrival (to YYZ, from the US), if my work is deemed "essential" to my employer, I should be exempt from the two week self-quarantine requirement; but they were clear that the decision is at the discretion of the admitting officer.

Assuming that I am asymptomatic on arrival and have a letter from my employer confirming that my work is "essential", anyone want to take a stab at my odds of ending up in quarantine?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
I'm going to be traveling to Mexico for work later this month, returning at the end of the month. Canadian authorities have told me that on arrival (to YYZ, from the US), if my work is deemed "essential" to my employer, I should be exempt from the two week self-quarantine requirement; but they were clear that the decision is at the discretion of the admitting officer.

Assuming that I am asymptomatic on arrival and have a letter from my employer confirming that my work is "essential", anyone want to take a stab at my odds of ending up in quarantine?
My understanding is that it depends on what line of business your employer is in.

Example: I'm trained as a professional truck driver. I wanted to pick up a food truck trailer in BC and bring it to the Yukon. That requires a quarantine, because restaurants are not deemed essential.

However, if the proprietor hires a trucking company who drives down with a big truck, loads the food truck trailer onto their big rig, and brings the thing to the Yukon that way, they do not have to quarantine. Because transportation is deemed essential.

There's little reason & rhyme to this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by sokolov
My understanding is that it depends on what line of business your employer is in.

Example: I'm trained as a professional truck driver. I wanted to pick up a food truck trailer in BC and bring it to the Yukon. That requires a quarantine, because restaurants are not deemed essential.

However, if the proprietor hires a trucking company who drives down with a big truck, loads the food truck trailer onto their big rig, and brings the thing to the Yukon that way, they do not have to quarantine. Because transportation is deemed essential.

There's little reason & rhyme to this.
Interesting, thanks for your response.

What the Canadian authorities told me was that "essential" can be defined by my employer: if they say that my travel is "essential" to their business, then at the very least I am eligible for an exemption to the two-week quarantine requirement. When I re-enter Canada I plan to carry a letter from my employer stating this.

Of course, the immigration officer processing my return to Canada may not agree, and the woman I spoke with was very clear that the decision to exempt me is discretionary.

So I think you're right: as with so many other aspects of our response to C19, there is little rhyme or reason to this. I might as well flip a coin! And in any event I'll need to be prepared for two weeks in quarantine.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 10:07 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Cross-border travel now open for immediate family member visits: https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...f-4d43d31b6f7e
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today that some close family members can reunite north of the border as long as they plan to stay for at least two weeks.Immediate family is defined as as spouses, common-law partners, dependent children, parents or step-parents, and guardians.
The current "essential travel" border restriction is set to expire June 22, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was extended.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
This article says that the border closure is likely to be extended to late July: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN23G301
Old Jun 11, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold
No help to foreigners, but an Atlantic Canada bubble would be useful to help facilitate travel for those already in Canada: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...rism-1.5607196
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Who would care to advance a percentage chance of Canada opening its border to international travel by 1 Aug? I’m sitting on flights from London to Vancouver for 3 Aug, to make our customary summer trip to our house out there. UK passports only, unfortunately.

I’m not feeling optimistic.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Greg66
chance of Canada opening its border to international travel by 1 Aug.
"Opening"" as in "allowing non-citizens / residents to travel" is one thing. I'd say the chances for that are intact. But "opening" as in removing the 14 day quarantine requirement? Not likely.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Who would care to advance a percentage chance of Canada opening its border to international travel by 1 Aug? I’m sitting on flights from London to Vancouver for 3 Aug, to make our customary summer trip to our house out there. UK passports only, unfortunately.

Virtually no chance at all. Just wait for the flights to be cancelled.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:31 pm

I'd say 25%. Not zero. But like LondonElite said, just wait for your flights to be cancelled. Then make a decision. There's plenty of time for the situation to change.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

I’d say very close to zero. Anything is possible but I think your lack of optimism is probably accurate. I’d put it at a 1% chance.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Thanks to all who’ve responded. It seems that there is little reason to be optimistic!

BA is currently scheduling a resumption of flights from LHR to YVR starting 1 Jul. There may be enough Canadian nationals wanting to travel (and Brits looking to come back) to make the flights viable such that they won’t be cancelled. But as we are sitting on Avios bookings we are not carrying a great deal of risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.