Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it legal to take Clonazepam to Canada?

Old Feb 12, 20, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

I'll be going to Canada again this summer to visit for a month or two. It's legally prescribed to me for anxiety (I've read it's only prescribed for epilepsy in Canada). I'll follow all the correct procedures on bringing medication in such as a declaring them to CBSA, a doctor's note explaining what my medications are for, leaving them in the correct bottles, correct packaging, etc. I know it's a benzodiazepine and they're often frowned upon. Mine is sold under the brand name Klonopin here in the USA and I've read they're sold under the brand name Rivotril in Canada. Does it matter if it's sold under a different brand name and if it's used to treat my anxiety? I've also read Canada is doing away with Clonazepam, but I'm not sure if that's true.
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
take yours scrip bottle and the number of pills needed for your trip, should not be a problem..
Old Feb 13, 20, 8:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It's a benzodiazepine which are legal in Canada with a doctor's prescription. Carry it in the original bottle in an amount reasonable for the length of your trip and you'll be fine. I'm perplexed why you would declare the medication with the CBSA. I don't recall this being a requirement.
mromalley likes this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

I thought you always had to declare your medication?
Old Feb 14, 20, 4:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by 97Nixk View Post
I thought you always had to declare your medication?
It's not among the declarations required by the CBSA. If you are sent to secondary and searched you will need to be able to explain the medications.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...s/e311-eng.pdf

And you can bring up to 90 days worth although for a short trip I probably wouldn't bring that much of a benzodiazepine for a week long trip

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...ions-0084.html
Visitors to Canada:
Visitors to Canada may bring into Canada, on their person a single course of treatment or a 90-day supply based on the directions for use, whichever is less, of a prescription drug.

The drug must be for the individual’s own personal use, for the use of a person for whom they are responsible and with whom they are travelling,.

The drug must be shipped/carried in one of the following:
  • Hospital or pharmacy dispensed packaging;
  • Original retail packaging; or
  • have the original label affixed to it which clearly indicates what the health product is and what it contains.
Old Feb 16, 20, 9:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hilton Diamond
As to the OP's comments, Clonazepam is widely prescribed for anxiety in Canada, not only for epilepsy. You don't need to declare it when you enter Canada, but I would follow the advice given in post #5--be able to show that you have a prescription for it and just bring in what you need within reason. I've travelled all over the world with it dozens of times and have never been questioned about it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: