Reload this Page >

US Pre-Clearance from a domestic connection

Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Hi Everyone,

We have upcoming travel YYC to PSP. Looks like there are no direct AC flights so will go thru YVR. The connection allows for 1h45min and am just wondering if this is enough time for US pre-clearance. There is only 1 direct flight from YVR to PSP daily so wouldn't want to miss this connection.

Flight lands in YVR at 8am --I assume pre-clearance will be a zoo at that time. We'll be travelling with a small dog in the cabin; he hasn't slowed us down at the border previously but I guess there is always a chance that he'll require extra inspection. We don't have NEXUS/Global.

Do we collect our checked bags in YVR for pre-clearance? It's been a long time since we've flown domestic-domestic-US so I can't recall the protocol.

Thanks so much for any info
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
check this link: https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/nav...ssenger-guides
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Thanks for link.lluvSQ. We had already looked through most of this info but it doesn't give an indication as to how long pre-clearance could take in the morning so are just looking for experiences. We've spent over an 1.5 hours in pre-clearance lines at other airports going direct domestic-US.

The link indicates you don't have to collect your luggage but we recently had an experience in YUL that surprised us. We flew FLL-YUL-YYC and at check-in in FLL were told we didn't need to collect our luggage. But on arriving in YUL, the CBSA officer told us that since we were travelling with a dog that we were required to go thru secondary and collect our luggage. AC did a great job of faciltating this for us but it slowed us down by about 30mins.

So just want to know if other travellers think there may be concerns with a less than 2hr connection in this scenario. If so, we will look at other options. Our travel date outbound will be on a Wednesday in early March
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
If connecting to a once-daily flight, I would leave more than 3 hours for connection, just in case of delays, de-icing, wait for gates - all the small things that
happen routinely, especially in winter. If your were connecting to a destination with multiple flights, I would say go ahead. But I don't think I would risk this one.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is more a YVR connection question rather than an Air Canada specific query it's been moved to the Air Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Canada forum moderator
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Dog's the wild card IMO and i don't have any experience with pets..

I would guess dom=> U.S. will be relatively quiet that early. Procedure earlier last year is walk (can be quite a ways) to the U.S. connection area. Airside but you have to go through security again. There's a priority line for Nexus and the oridinary line can get long. Next is to wait for checked bags to be transferred before you can go to CBP (there's a separate line for Nexus/GE here too). Don't think this facility is shared with int'l => U.S> (or Vancouver originating).

Unless the dog holds you up significantly I'll say you have a good chance if the 1st flight isn't late (and you sit near the front).
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Dog's the wild card IMO and i don't have any experience with pets..

Gotta agree.

I do the YVR Preclearance pretty regularly, and even when it's busy in the morning (which I normally don't do), an hour would be plenty. That was the UA 6ish flight to DEN, and it was a Zoo with seemingly two lines coming together, one from people originating in Vancouver and one from connections. Still had plenty of time to spend at the MLL before the flight, and I'm guessing that later it should quiet down.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Similar question

Hello. I am connecting from AC203 (YYC-YVR) to AC8042 (YVR-SMF) arriving 7.26 departing 8.55. An hour and a half cxn on a Wed morning in early May. All one ticket, carry on luggage only. I think, barring late arrival or chaos at Pre-Clearance, I can make it. I'm a US citizen with Global Entry.
My question is, if it does go sideways, what kind of protection will AC offer to a standard Economy passenger with no status on AC or *A? I haven't flown AC for a few years and never domestic-USA through YVR.
Thanks for any tips.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But how about the general notion of a US citizen with Global Entry moving between a domestic Canadian flight to a USA bound flight gate to gate in about an hour on a weekday morning with carry on only? Reasonable? Dicey?

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 27, 2020 at 6:52 pm Reason: content
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by rickg523
But how about the general notion of a US citizen with Global Entry moving between a domestic Canadian flight to a USA bound flight gate to gate in about an hour on a weekday morning with carry on only? Reasonable? Dicey?
Can't say about YVR but at YYC, YYZ, and YEG it would be easy.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 27, 2020 at 6:52 pm Reason: edit quote
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
Should be doable at YVR IFF you have your GE card for expedited (hopefully) security. The usual walk fast/don't dawdle.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, folks. As I thought and good to hear
I booked seats in the first row of Y out of YYC. Yesterday found a terminal map with walking times and it looks like 15 or 20 minutes between the two ends of the terminal. No problem there. And what I'm hearing is that GE will keep me on track at Pre-Clearance.
As long as AC203 is on time, I'll be fine. Typically, I book never less than 2 hour cxns, because one of my least favorite things is running late in an airport. It's not running that bothers me, it's standing in line while someone takes off their belt, fails, then takes off their watch, fails again, then finally takes the 3 dollars of change our of their pocket. Couldn't care less when I've arranged my time correctly, but drives me up the wall when I'm rushed. And this itinerary left me with the choice between 1.5 hours and like 4 to 6 hours.
So, my question really will have to go to the AC forum about how to work with AC if they run late.
Thanks again for the info about YVR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.