Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YVR-SFO flight at 5:30 PM week day - when do I need to leave from convention center?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YVR-SFO flight at 5:30 PM week day - when do I need to leave from convention center?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver

If I have a YVR-SFO flight departing at 5:30 PM, by when do I need to be in a taxi / uber / lyft leaving the convention center?

US Passport
No checked bags
Global Entry but no Nexus
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I can't help on the timing as I don't know the traffic at that time but GE will be of use as it's for USCBP which is what you preclear in YVR.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Day of week (allow more time on a Friday)? Season (cruise s usually bad)? 1600 will be pushing it but possible and risky. I'd give 1530 to be a bit more comfortable and 1500-1515 to be even more comfortable.

If you have a GE card, bring it as it may allow you into the Nexus security line.(no guarantees) and of course GE will allow you faster preclearance.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
If I have a YVR-SFO flight departing at 5:30 PM, by when do I need to be in a taxi / uber / lyft leaving the convention center?

US Passport
No checked bags
Global Entry but no Nexus
No Uber / Lyft yet. You can take taxi but that'll run you about 40-50 CAD and about 30 minutes driving time.
Or just take the Skytrain on the Canada Line. It takes about 35 minutes from Waterfront station.

You won't be able to use the fast security lane without Nexus (could try with GE but I wouldn't bet on it). There are GE kiosks as there is preclearance at YVR. So give yourself time for that.
I'd say you want to be at the airport no later than 4:15. So leave at 3:30 to give yourself more cushion.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kevflyer
No Uber / Lyft yet. You can take taxi but that'll run you about 40-50 CAD and about 30 minutes driving time.
Or just take the Skytrain on the Canada Line. It takes about 35 minutes from Waterfront station.

You won't be able to use the fast security lane without Nexus (could try with GE but I wouldn't bet on it). There are GE kiosks as there is preclearance at YVR. So give yourself time for that.
I'd say you want to be at the airport no later than 4:15. So leave at 3:30 to give yourself more cushion.
+1 for Canada Line, especially that time of day. You need an hour for a taxi and only 30 mins for the train. As noted, there is still no Uber or Lyft in BC.

the Sky Train is a ~5-8 min walk from the Convention Center.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
+1 for Canada Line, especially that time of day. You need an hour for a taxi and only 30 mins for the train. As noted, there is still no Uber or Lyft in BC.

the Sky Train is a ~5-8 min walk from the Convention Center.
Add up to 9 minute wait for an airport train. I'd say it's a tossup leaving before 1600. RAV line might be slightly faster overall but taxi a little bit more rellable. Better than the original line where the IT guy has to scrounge for IBM AT/80286-era parts (that's what keep it running).

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Jan 18, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
There is now Uber & Lyft in Vancouver, although they are experiencing teething problems with regards to numbers of available drivers (it's brand new here).
I'd advocate the Canada Line from Waterfront Station regardless of time of day, and would stroll out of the convention centre at about 15:30, not much later. Processing volumes at transborder departures are generally at a lull between 15:00 and 17:00 (approx 300-350 passengers per hour).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.