YYZ transit question on AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ transit question on AC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Pre 9/11 I left the pre-clearance area to get my cell phone out of my car. Just spoke to the US officer and walked out. 10 minutes later I came back in and spoke to the same officer.

Not it going to happen these days.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
My guess would be because of TWOV.
I just noticed that Winnipeg Int'l Airport (YWG) is on this list. How does that work as the interactive map does not show segregated areas for Int'l and Domestic Flights? Can someone boarding an int'l flight just exit through Domestic Arrivals?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I just noticed that Winnipeg Int'l Airport (YWG) is on this list. How does that work as the interactive map does not show segregated areas for Int'l and Domestic Flights? Can someone boarding an int'l flight just exit through Domestic Arrivals?
Transit visas give you 48 hours in country. You don't need to spend those in a bonded warehouse international departures area
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:26 pm

My guess would be because of TWOV.
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Transit visas give you 48 hours in country. You don't need to spend those in a bonded warehouse international departures area
I am specifically asking about the Transit w/o Visa Program allowed by certain nationalities.

EDIT: For those who do not know, one of the caveats of this program is to
not leave the Canadian airport during your stopover, except to board your flight
  • you must remain in the international transit area

Last edited by OSSYULYYZ; Jan 10, 2020 at 12:48 pm
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
next YYZ transit question

Thanks for all the info about YYZ and other airports. Here's a related question about YYZ, in this case two international arrivals. One pax will arrive on China Eastern from PVG at about 2:25pm. The other pax will arrive on Air Canada Express from USA (DCA) at 2:16pm on the same day. Both are arriving at YYZ. Here are the questions:

1. Will these two pax be able to meet up before arriving at Canadian passport control? One doesn't speak English so well, so we'd like to go together in case there are questions. Basically, is Canadian passport control the same place for flights from USA and other countries?

2. If there are flight delays, can the pax exit the plane and sit somewhere to eat/drink to wait for the other pax until the late flight finally arrives? I'm not familiar with how int'l arrivals happen in Canada. I know at IAD, where I arrive most in North America, they just funnel you through a sterile hallway until you get the moon buses over to US passport control. No chance to wait anywhere that I recall. I'm hoping it's not the same in YYZ.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited by Matthew_DC; Feb 17, 2020 at 9:22 am
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Matthew_DC
Thanks for all the info about YYZ and other airports. Here's a related question about YYZ, in this case two international arrivals. One pax will arrive on China Eastern from PVG at about 2:25pm. The other pax will arrive on Air Canada Express from USA (DCA) at 2:16pm on the same day. Both are arriving at YYZ. Here are the questions:

1. Will these two pax be able to meet up before arriving at Canadian passport control? One doesn't speak English so well, so we'd like to go together in case there are questions. Basically, is Canadian passport control the same place for flights from USA and other countries?

2. If there are flight delays, can the pax exit the plane and sit somewhere to eat/drink to wait for the other pax until the late flight finally arrives? I'm not familiar with how int'l arrivals happen in Canada. I know at IAD, where I arrive most in North America, they just funnel you through a sterile hallway until you get the moon buses over to US passport control. No chance to wait anywhere that I recall.

Thanks for any info.
Air Canada is in Terminal 1 and China Eaatern is in Terminal 3. You will not be able to meet until both have cleared immigration and customs.

There is no place to wait and eat/drink until after immigration and customs.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Got it. Thank you! And if I arrive on AA, which YYZ airport says arrives at T3, could we meet up before passport control?

Just found this video on YYZ T1 arrivals:

Last edited by Matthew_DC; Feb 17, 2020 at 10:14 am
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Got it. Thank you! And if I arrive on AA, which YYZ airport says arrives at T3, could we meet up before passport control?
Maybe? But you'd be better off asking in another forum. AC has no presence in T3. With that said, the purgatory area before customs/immigration in any airport I've been to has been barren and not a place I'd want to wait for longer than 30 seconds, looking shifty and guilty.

Just found this video on YYZ T1 arrivals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkjchomDYMc
That seems about right (for an International arrival).

For what its worth, arriving from (many) places, including the USA on AC, the process to get to a AC domestic outbound is even easier, with no need to claim checked bags. Understanding your desire to help your friend, I'm not sure that is possible, and AC/US->AC/Can is pretty quick.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'm not sure that is possible, and AC/US->AC/Can is pretty quick.
Except that bus, but yes I agree clearing CBSA is pretty quick. Last time, the agent just looked at my Canadian Passport and my Declaration Card and told me to make a left to board the bus. He didn't even stamp the Declaration Card, which normal arrivals usually still does stamp the Declaration Card even if the Passport isn't stamped (but that discussion belongs on a different forum).
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:53 pm

As a US citizen ORD-YYZ-ICN, both flights on AC, what needs to happen in YYZ in terms of immigration/customs, and how exactly?
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
As a US citizen ORD-YYZ-ICN, both flights on AC, what needs to happen in YYZ in terms of immigration/customs, and how exactly?
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../us-int.html#/
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 12:05 am

YYZ short layover

I’m flying from LGA to YVR, and connecting through YYZ. My layover at YYZ is 1hr 20min. Will that be enough time? I understand I will need to clear customs because I am entering Canada from USA. Will I need to go through security again?

If it makes a difference, my layover is in the evening, so hopefully less people? I’m flying with Air Canada with checked luggage, but that should be checked through to the end destination.

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:07 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
This is a very stupid question but I'm dumb. Basically, I need to head to SFO but it's cheaper to fly out west when I fly through YYZ where the plan is to fly LGA-YYZ and then YYZ-SFO with AC on separate itineraries. I know that I'll have to clear TSA and US customs again but is this allowed and is this worth the risk of saving hundreds of dollars?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
On separate itineraries, this is allowed provided you meet all the requirements for entering Canada (which you will have to do). Obviously, you will have no protection whatsoever from misconnecting in YYZ. And AC's on-time record is, ahem, not stellar.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by airoli
On separate itineraries, this is allowed provided you meet all the requirements for entering Canada (which you will have to do). Obviously, you will have no protection whatsoever from misconnecting in YYZ. And AC's on-time record is, ahem, not stellar.
I believe you would only have to formally enter Canada at T3 not T1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.