Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Question about duty free / bag re-check at YVR airport

Old Dec 3, 19, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat

Hi, I am hoping some seasoned YVR travelers could provide some advice on this situation. My SO is flying NRT-YVR right now and has a connecting flight to SFO. She does not have any checked luggage but she has a duty free liquor bottle which she purchased at NRT which is in a STEB. It barely fits in the bag but it did fit and is sealed.

1) Will she be allowed to bring the STEB through security when connecting to USA?
2) If not or for some reason it is not allowed, is there any opportunity for her to put the duty free bag in her carry on and check it or will that cause any problems with having to enter Canada and go through immigration?

Appreciate any insights, thanks in advance.

Last edited by invalyd; Dec 3, 19 at 1:18 am
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
1) Might be a depends. Pax on the flight might have to clear into Canada (might be the best option), or can do a brief clearance and go straight to U.S. pre-clearance. Not sure if the latter requires security screening..

2) I think it it is the latter, which may be not *too* bad (don't have to wait for bags, and there's a baggage drop off after exiting customs)
Old Dec 4, 19, 11:40 am

Programs: NEXUS
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
1) Might be a depends. Pax on the flight might have to clear into Canada (might be the best option), or can do a brief clearance and go straight to U.S. pre-clearance. Not sure if the latter requires security screening..

2) I think it it is the latter, which may be not *too* bad (don't have to wait for bags, and there's a baggage drop off after exiting customs)
Going through US pre-clearance requires a security check as the Americans want a check up to their standards.

Search this Thread