Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal to Quebec: Via Rail or car rental?

Old Nov 14, 19, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

Next Sept. we'll be spending a couple days in Montreal & then Quebec before starting a cruise. It's a little cheaper to to do a o/w car rental but taking the train might be more interesting & relaxing. Thoughts?
Old Nov 15, 19, 1:11 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
There have been threads on this before, a search will reveal them.

In a nutshell: Car is faster, train is very slow but gentle and relaxing. Car allows for stops and detours along the way. No need for a car in either downtown area.
Old Nov 15, 19, 2:53 am

Programs: Via Preference, Aeroplan, AirMiles
I wouldn't say the train is very slow, it's about 3 hours which is what I've done in a car. However Montreal's traffic is horrendous, getting off the main island can take over an hour due to construction, jams etc.

The train gets you downtown to downtown worry free, relaxed and interested. Quebec City's station is a beautiful chateau.

VIARail has advance purchase discounts so can be cheaper than one way car rental. Plus Business Class is surprisingly affordable, often about 10% more, in advance, which includes Business Class Lounge, plus on board meal and drinks.
Old Nov 15, 19, 6:16 am

If you are trying to make the trip in one shot without detours, and the financial difference is not too high, I would just take the train -- the fastest driving routes, either via autoroute 20 or autoroute 40, are unremarkable in terms of scenery. Of course, if you want to stop off halfway or make detours then you should drive, but if this is just a Point A to Point B trip I'd just do the train.
airoli likes this.
Old Nov 15, 19, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was leaning toward the train & y'all have convinced me. Merci!!

While researching this subject I did see a post saying that there is a discount if you purchase your tix on a Tuesday. Still true?
Old Nov 15, 19, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC, Marriott
Sales are usually offered on Tuesdays
philemer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 19, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist View Post
Sales are usually offered on Tuesdays
There are conditions attached to the Tuesday sales - typically they are only for travel Friday to Sunday that weekend.

VIA's advance purchase fares are just about as good, but no conditions other than first come first served. Plus there is only a small fee if you need to change or cancel your ticket.
Old Nov 16, 19, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For Monday or Tuesday travel in early Sept. I'm seeing "Escape" fares from $30>$38 (Senior fare) for mid-day travel. Are these the lowest fares I'll probably see?
Old Nov 16, 19, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
For Monday or Tuesday travel in early Sept. I'm seeing "Escape" fares from $30>$38 (Senior fare) for mid-day travel. Are these the lowest fares I'll probably see?
Can't answer that question, but have you considered the bus? Many more daily departures, and slightly shorter travel time than the train. You can't book the bus yet for September, but the lowest current fare for seniors is $25 per person. Details here:

https://www.orleansexpress.com/en/se...outbound-trip/
Old Nov 16, 19, 11:21 am

Probably - they won't fluctuate much this far in advance. It's a nice, smooth trip - not being lurched around in a bus...
philemer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 19, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Can't answer that question, but have you considered the bus? Many more daily departures, and slightly shorter travel time than the train. You can't book the bus yet for September, but the lowest current fare for seniors is $25 per person. Details here:

https://www.orleansexpress.com/en/se...outbound-trip/
My DW has trouble with steps/stairs. Difficult for her. I'm guessing ingress & egress is pretty easy on the trains.
Old Nov 16, 19, 4:56 pm

My DW has trouble with steps/stairs. Difficult for her. I'm guessing ingress & egress is pretty easy on the trains.
You are lucky in that the only two stations on Via Rail's network that have level boarding to the train are Montreal and Quebec City. (I've heard that a high level platform has also been built at Ottawa).
philemer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 19, 3:02 pm

Programs: FB Platinum; IHG Rewards Club Platinum; HHonors Silver
Earlier this year I took the train from YUL to Quebec and thoroughly enjoyed it. I flew back as the train schedule did not fit my itinerary. If you are not time constrained then take the train.
philemer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 19, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Nothing (Former Gold), Global Entry
I've done this route via train. Agree it's an enjoyable ride and I would have no hesitation doing it again.
philemer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: