FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Montreal to Quebec: Via Rail or car rental? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1995453-montreal-quebec-via-rail-car-rental.html)

philemer Nov 14, 2019 8:47 am

Montreal to Quebec: Via Rail or car rental?

Next Sept. we'll be spending a couple days in Montreal & then Quebec before starting a cruise. It's a little cheaper to to do a o/w car rental but taking the train might be more interesting & relaxing. Thoughts?

airoli Nov 15, 2019 1:11 am

There have been threads on this before, a search will reveal them.

In a nutshell: Car is faster, train is very slow but gentle and relaxing. Car allows for stops and detours along the way. No need for a car in either downtown area.

Rapidtransitman Nov 15, 2019 2:53 am

I wouldn't say the train is very slow, it's about 3 hours which is what I've done in a car. However Montreal's traffic is horrendous, getting off the main island can take over an hour due to construction, jams etc.

The train gets you downtown to downtown worry free, relaxed and interested. Quebec City's station is a beautiful chateau.

VIARail has advance purchase discounts so can be cheaper than one way car rental. Plus Business Class is surprisingly affordable, often about 10% more, in advance, which includes Business Class Lounge, plus on board meal and drinks.

andrewesque Nov 15, 2019 6:16 am

If you are trying to make the trip in one shot without detours, and the financial difference is not too high, I would just take the train -- the fastest driving routes, either via autoroute 20 or autoroute 40, are unremarkable in terms of scenery. Of course, if you want to stop off halfway or make detours then you should drive, but if this is just a Point A to Point B trip I'd just do the train.

philemer Nov 15, 2019 8:15 am

I was leaning toward the train & y'all have convinced me. Merci!!

While researching this subject I did see a post saying that there is a discount if you purchase your tix on a Tuesday. Still true?

TechnoTourist Nov 15, 2019 1:15 pm

Sales are usually offered on Tuesdays

Rapidtransitman Nov 16, 2019 5:27 am

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist (Post 31740849)
Sales are usually offered on Tuesdays

There are conditions attached to the Tuesday sales - typically they are only for travel Friday to Sunday that weekend.

VIA's advance purchase fares are just about as good, but no conditions other than first come first served. Plus there is only a small fee if you need to change or cancel your ticket.

philemer Nov 16, 2019 9:36 am

For Monday or Tuesday travel in early Sept. I'm seeing "Escape" fares from $30>$38 (Senior fare) for mid-day travel. Are these the lowest fares I'll probably see?

guv1976 Nov 16, 2019 10:16 am

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 31743410)
For Monday or Tuesday travel in early Sept. I'm seeing "Escape" fares from $30>$38 (Senior fare) for mid-day travel. Are these the lowest fares I'll probably see?

Can't answer that question, but have you considered the bus? Many more daily departures, and slightly shorter travel time than the train. You can't book the bus yet for September, but the lowest current fare for seniors is $25 per person. Details here:

https://www.orleansexpress.com/en/se...outbound-trip/

Rapidtransitman Nov 16, 2019 11:21 am

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 31743410)

Probably - they won't fluctuate much this far in advance. It's a nice, smooth trip - not being lurched around in a bus...

philemer Nov 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31743510)
Can't answer that question, but have you considered the bus? Many more daily departures, and slightly shorter travel time than the train. You can't book the bus yet for September, but the lowest current fare for seniors is $25 per person. Details here:

https://www.orleansexpress.com/en/se...outbound-trip/

My DW has trouble with steps/stairs. Difficult for her. I'm guessing ingress & egress is pretty easy on the trains.

Rapidtransitman Nov 16, 2019 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 31744410)
My DW has trouble with steps/stairs. Difficult for her. I'm guessing ingress & egress is pretty easy on the trains.

You are lucky in that the only two stations on Via Rail's network that have level boarding to the train are Montreal and Quebec City. (I've heard that a high level platform has also been built at Ottawa).

Ardecos Nov 23, 2019 3:02 pm

Earlier this year I took the train from YUL to Quebec and thoroughly enjoyed it. I flew back as the train schedule did not fit my itinerary. If you are not time constrained then take the train.

Taoyuan Nov 30, 2019 5:11 pm

I've done this route via train. Agree it's an enjoyable ride and I would have no hesitation doing it again.