Wiki Posts
Search

MileageRunning: US to US via Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
MileageRunning: US to US via Canada

Hi all. I posted this in the DL subforum, but will post it in here in case some of you might have some more insight. (Mods, please remove if that isn't appropriate)

I am doing a MR on Nov 12. My itinerary includes MSP-YVR-SEA. I have a 2 hour layover in YVR and don't plan to leave the sterile area.

I'm looking for a definitive answer: Can I get off my MSP - YVR flight and proceed directly to US CBP, or will I have to exit via the Canadian side, then go back through US CBP? I'm hoping it's just a matter of get off, follow some signs to US CBP, go through, then hang out until the flight to SEA.

Thanks in advance for any answers you all have.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Look at the YVR.ca site for guidance, though I am not sure it's covered (not many fly U.S.=> U.S. via Canada). It usually depends on the airline and what time you arrive.

If you can get a BP for the connecting flight, you should be able to head for U.S. connections where you might have to go through a cursory Canadian document check before you get to U.S. preclearance. Hours of this may be (or is) limited however.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Look at the YVR.ca site for guidance, though I am not sure it's covered (not many fly U.S.=> U.S. via Canada). It usually depends on the airline and what time you arrive.

If you can get a BP for the connecting flight, you should be able to head for U.S. connections where you might have to go through a cursory Canadian document check before you get to U.S. preclearance. Hours of this may be (or is) limited however.
I looked on there, and I'm still confused. (I did the US City to US City) It says all international goes to level 4, then down through CBSA, out to arrivals hall. Someone in the DL thread told me that they were pretty sure I could bypass CBSA and just go right into US CBP.

I'm pretty sure I'll have all my BPs, because it should be on my phone once I check in at T-24. Maybe not?

This is all happening in the middle of the day. Thank you for your help!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
The Vancouver airport guide does have a US-US option but I question it because it states you clear CBSA but no mention of going thru CBP.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
The Vancouver airport guide does have a US-US option but I question it because it states you clear CBSA but no mention of going thru CBP.
Yep, that's pretty much what I'm seeing too. I guess I'll just find out.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Here it says you go through CBSA then follow "USA Connections" to go to CBP then the US gates. It says you don't have to pick up your luggage, but I don't know if it's an AC thing or if it works for all airlines. You gotta ask DL whenever you check in:
https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...rt/int-us.html
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:08 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by war.eagle.30
Yep, that's pretty much what I'm seeing too. I guess I'll just find out.
Assuming the guide is correct, then it looks like if you arrive on certain international airlines (eg CX, LH, KL etc) then there is an in-transit preclearance/USA Connections Facility (checked bags are not claimed at YVR).

If arrival on other airlines (and you have bags) you will be dumped landside after baggage claim. The fact the guide segregates out certain airlines suggest there is no access to in-transit preclearance when arriving on the US portion of the terminal.

Originally Posted by Nayef
Here it says you go through CBSA then follow "USA Connections" to go to CBP then the US gates. It says you don't have to pick up your luggage, but I don't know if it's an AC thing or if it works for all airlines. You gotta ask DL whenever you check in:
https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...rt/int-us.html
It really boils down whether at YVR, international arrival and US arrivals (from Delta) are segregated or not. In YUL, it is not segregated.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I suspect the reason why the website is unclear/vague on US-to-US connections is that that type of connection cannot be sold by airlines. It would require a DIY connection on separate tickets (such as what the OP is attempting). The number of people who do this in any given month must be tiny.

I think this is a case of the most obvious scenario being the correct answer. OP will clear CBSA, then proceed to US CBP and clear security. Whether this can be accomplished in the desired time frame depends in large part on the timeliness of the inbound flight...but it's probably a safe enough gamble on most days. Let us know how it turns out!
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers all! No bags, just a pure MR with some friends. I too think it must be such few people doing something like this that they don't even mention it. We'll see how it goes!
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

We ended up having to clear CBSA then go back through US CBP - if anyone was curious.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by war.eagle.30
We ended up having to clear CBSA then go back through US CBP - if anyone was curious.
Sounds like the building setup is different than YUL. At YUL, all arrivals regardless origin end up in the same inspection area and there is a "side door" for transit to US preclearance.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AVIS President's Club, Hilton Diamond
US (same city) - YVR - US (same city): do I need to go thru Canada Customs ?

Mileage run. I fly from the (same city) US to YVR, arrive at 10AM and then at 11AM board the same plane and fly back to the (same city) US. Mileage run. No luggage. No laptop. Just phone + charger + headphones. US Citizen. US Passport. Global Entry card. US driver license.

Can't I just stay at the gate? Do I have to do what this link says?

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...t/int-int.html
Connecting through Vancouver - Between two International Flights
Follow overhead signs “Welcome to Vancouver” and Canada Customs.
Proceed down escalator into Canada Customs.
Have all documentation in hand and ensure all applicable forms have been completed.
Follow Connections to International and enter the International Connection line.
Clear Canada Customs. Take elevator to Departures Level 3 to your next flight.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by flytastic
Mileage run. I fly from the (same city) US to YVR, arrive at 10AM and then at 11AM board the same plane and fly back to the (same city) US. Mileage run. No luggage. No laptop. Just phone + charger + headphones. US Citizen. US Passport. Global Entry card. US driver license.

Have all documentation in hand and ensure all applicable forms have been completed.
Follow Connections to International and enter the International Connection line.
Worse than that. Try procedures for Int'l (or U.S., same difference) to U.S. All the above PLUS U.S. preclearance (unless not offered or outside hours, which your flight will not be). Arrivals and departures are segregated.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:22 am
Original Member

You can not stay at the gate. Departures and arrivals are segregated as YVR Cockroach responded.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium

I would be shocked if you can do that in 50mins before the flight closes. The walk from the US pier to CBSA is 5-8mins, the walk from CBSA to CATSA through baggage claim is another 5-8mins, then the CATSA line, then CBP line, and then walking back to the gate. Even if I was assured of no lines, you're still going to be go-go-go the entire time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.