FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Proof of having left Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1987791-proof-having-left-canada.html)

airoli Sep 18, 2019 7:13 am

Proof of having left Canada

I have received a ticket for a (minor) infraction the City of Montréal is alleging I have committed.

I haven't, for the simple reason that I was not in Canada on the day of the alleged event. Based on this, I have contested the ticket. But now the Crown prosecutor wants to see proof of me being away from Canada.

This event dates back over 12 months (behold the speed at which city bureaucracy moves) and I no longer have the boarding pass stub of my flight out of Canada. I have a ticket receipt, but of course one can buy a ticket and then cancel / change it or simply no-show, so not sure how strong that proof is.

I left YUL on a direct flight to Europe, and there is no exit stamp in my Canadian passport and no entry stamp on my European passport.

I found a CBSA service to demand a travel history, but it seems to only collect land exits from Canada, so wouldn't apply.

Does anybody know of a source from which I can get proof of having left Canada by air on a given date? Thanks.

CKDGM Sep 18, 2019 10:18 am

Did you get frequent flier mileage credit? A printout of your FF statement showing the flights might work, especially since you have a matching ticket receipt.

Hoyaheel Sep 18, 2019 11:22 am

What about any receipts - from airports, taxi, hotel in Europe?

Santander Sep 18, 2019 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 31537622)
This event dates back over 12 months (behold the speed at which city bureaucracy moves) and I no longer have the boarding pass stub of my flight out of Canada. I have a ticket receipt, but of course one can buy a ticket and then cancel / change it or simply no-show, so not sure how strong that proof is.

It's pretty strong, considering it would be a remarkable coincidence that you happened book a flight out of the country days or weeks before the alleged incident, not take the flight, then commit alleged violation, and then contest the ticket months later using the flight reservation as evidence.

Surely you have some credit card transactions or ATM withdrawals from around that time?

airoli Sep 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks for the helpful ideas. Indeed, I have FFP credit to go with the ticket receipt for the flight out of Canada, and I do have credit card transactions in Europe for the day of the alleged infraction.

Let's see what the Crown thinks of that. (It's such an absurd situation to even have to deal with...)

Often1 Sep 18, 2019 1:29 pm

I would do the same thing here as if one had been in Toronto or any other place in Canada where there would not have been a national boundary crossed.

Amass receipts and backup for expenditures in the other city, whether in Canada or elsewhere. Rather than relying on just the FFP printout, include the e-ticket receipt showing that you were scheduled to fly and, if by some chance you have the BP or a copy stored, include that as well. The more paper the better.

YZF_Elite Sep 18, 2019 1:40 pm

Was somebody else driving your car and got the ticket at a red light camera or something? Seems really odd!

airoli Sep 18, 2019 1:43 pm

It isn't a driving ticket but a violation of a city by-law.

DutchessPDX Sep 18, 2019 4:30 pm

You say you were in Europe, wasn't your Passport stamped upon your arrival and departure?

Santander Sep 18, 2019 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX (Post 31539786)
You say you were in Europe, wasn't your Passport stamped upon your arrival and departure?

He mentioned European (presumably EU) passport, implying he used the e-gates.

birdiedouble Sep 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Have they offered any proof of your offense?

I've read through many of the Montreal by-laws tonight and I'm stumped which one it might be;)

garykung Sep 18, 2019 7:13 pm

Also - have you checked your country's own immigration record?

airoli Sep 18, 2019 11:37 pm

As a citizen of a Schengen nation, when entering Schengen area, no stamps are applied and no records are kept.

Anyways, I think I got some good ideas here about how to show that I couldn't have caused a disturbance in Montréal since I wasn't there.... ;)

:D! Sep 19, 2019 3:32 am

I am curious about how they came to think it was you, but I guess you won't find out.

Often1 Sep 19, 2019 6:34 am

If OP were more specific about the alleged violation, others here might also offer more specific suggestions. But, the bottom line is that for most people who do not live off the grid, it is relatively easy to come up with a paper trail showing location.