Wiki Posts
Search

Downtown Vancouver Hotel Choice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:57 am
bcx
Original Poster

Downtown Vancouver Hotel Choice

I'll be staying in Vancouver a couple nights before going to the cruise port so I was wondering if anyone who has stayed at the following could provide some insight. Between corporate rates and points, I can choose from these properties, but all of them seem to have some negatives which is making it harder to decide.

Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown (further from Canada line, which we plan on taking from YVR)
Delta Hotel Vancouver Downtown Suites (closer to the bad part of Hastings, and I'll be with my family)
The Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver (dated, further from cruise port)
Hyatt Regency Vancouver (costs me more than the rest)
Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver (dated, rickety/broken elevators)

Any thoughts from anyone who has stayed at these properties would be appreciated.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
I have stayed at the Hyatt, Metropolitan and Sutton Place many times. In terms of value for money, Sutton Place is fantastic, also has a grocery store next door (IGA) and in no way is run down IMO, in fact probably the fanciest of your list and where all the movie stars stay if a potential encounter is of importance to you. I also face some of the same questions you do (value/proximity) and that often leads me to staying at the Metropolitan because I often have meetings in the building at 250 Howe next to the cruise terminal. The hotel was quite nice in its day and a little run down as you note, but I think it is fantastic.

In terms of the Pinnacle, I don't think you can go wrong there, thought it is a little older than some of the newer hotels around. The Hyatt is beautiful, but hard to justify the price (why not go for the Four Seasons or Fairmont closer if spending that kind of money). I've never stayed at the Delta, but have colleagues who do frequently and it is in a great location for dining options in Gas Town.

Overall though, my pick out of your list these days would be Sutton Place.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by bcx
I'll be staying in Vancouver a couple nights before going to the cruise port so I was wondering if anyone who has stayed at the following could provide some insight. Between corporate rates and points, I can choose from these properties, but all of them seem to have some negatives which is making it harder to decide.

Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown (further from Canada line, which we plan on taking from YVR)
Delta Hotel Vancouver Downtown Suites (closer to the bad part of Hastings, and I'll be with my family)

Any thoughts from anyone who has stayed at these properties would be appreciated.
We're doing the same thing for a 9/15 Alaska cruise. I booked the Westin Grand Vancouver with points.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by bcx
The area is not the greatest but I won't hesitate to stay there if my choices were limited. On the other hand, it's obviously not the best area out of the hotels you listed so if prices/points are equal, I'd pick something else.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:37 pm
bcx
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone. I’ll go with The Sutton Place. Hopefully still walkable to the port.
YZF_Elite likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by bcx

Originally Posted by bcx
Thanks for the advice everyone. I’ll go with The Sutton Place. Hopefully still walkable to the port.
Out of the ones listed you've definitely made the correct choice.

Pretty much every downtown Vancouver hotel is within walkable distance of the port - downtown is reasonably sized.

Also - the Delta is still far from the "bad" part of downtown vancouver (separated from it by one of THE major touristy centres - Gastown), and even the "bad" part of Vancouver isn't "bad" to the point that you'd ever feel in danger. You might see some homeless, though. But again - the Delta is far from it. It's just not a great property and location for walking around/shopping in general (e.g. Robson is the main shopping street)

I'd have said Sutton > Regency > Marriott Pinnacle and not consider the other two (though tbf, I don't know much about the Metropolitan), of the ones listed. I find the Pinnacle way overpriced for what it is most of the time.

FWIW: I'd check the prices of the three Fairmonts, too - both the Fairmont Vancouver and the Fairmont Waterfront can be quite cheap (at least as far as the very-nice Vancouver hotels are concerned) and the Fairmont Waterfront is literally right next to the port, too.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by bcx
It's a pretty pleasant walk down Burrard Street but may want a plan B if it's raining.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've stayed at Sutton Place (farther from the water and also up the hill from the water, with a residential feel), HR (standard nondescript modern HR), and some place right on the water, seemingly built out onto the pier (I liked the views and had a good fish dinner there). IIRC Sutton Place is (still?) in FHR, so see whether those benefits are worth the price. There was another hotel by the water across the street from where I stayed, on the landside, that also looked very nice. I'm sorry I can't remember the names.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've stayed at Sutton Place (farther from the water and also up the hill from the water, with a residential feel), HR (standard nondescript modern HR), and some place right on the water, seemingly built out onto the pier (I liked the views and had a good fish dinner there). IIRC Sutton Place is (still?) in FHR, so see whether those benefits are worth the price. There was another hotel by the water across the street from where I stayed, on the landside, that also looked very nice. I'm sorry I can't remember the names.
From what you describe, it sounds like you stayed at the Pan Pacific with the Fairmont Waterfront across the street.
YZF_Elite and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:50 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Does anyone have suggestion for relatively safe parking alternative to what downtown hotels charge? Of the properties I am interested in, they charge $40 to $50 a night plus tax. TIA.

LAX
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by LAX
Does anyone have suggestion for relatively safe parking alternative to what downtown hotels charge? Of the properties I am interested in, they charge $40 to $50 a night plus tax. TIA.

LAX
Anything downtown is as safe as you could imagine, so any parking lot close to the hotel should do. That'll probably still set you back about 20/day though, depending on the lot. You can check e.g. here: https://www.bestparking.com/vancouver-bc-parking-2/
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Are you driving up? Or else, do you really need a vehicle in town? Haven't shopped for car parking rates for a long time but they can vary, to say the least. Always the possibility of break ins.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:55 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Anything downtown is as safe as you could imagine, so any parking lot close to the hotel should do. That'll probably still set you back about 20/day though, depending on the lot. You can check e.g. here: https://www.bestparking.com/vancouver-bc-parking-2/
That's much more palatable. Thanks.

LAX
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:57 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Are you driving up? Or else, do you really need a vehicle in town? Haven't shopped for car parking rates for a long time but they can vary, to say the least. Always the possibility of break ins.
I will need a car as I plan to go up to Whistler as part of the trip. I might even head down to SEA (or fly into SEA & drive up) depending how much time I end up taking off.

LAX
Old Jan 25, 2020, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by LAX
I will need a car as I plan to go up to Whistler as part of the trip. I might even head down to SEA (or fly into SEA & drive up) depending how much time I end up taking off.
Be aware that Whistler has no free overnight parking. Either pay for it or it's included in accommodation rates. If you're staying for more than a couple of nights, and weather is tricky, better to use paid transportation due to winter tyre/chain requirements. Just rent as you really need it.

OW rentals between Vancouver and Seattle are generally expensive too (combination of high daily rates, no free miles, and/or OW fees), unless you have a National Car free day or some such. SEA/WA also has exorbitant car rental taxes and fees.
eigenvector likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.