FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Transit from US to International via YVR and YYZ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1981897-transit-us-international-via-yvr-yyz.html)

Barkinpark Aug 6, 2019 5:46 pm

Transit from US to International via YVR and YYZ

Hello:

My family and I will respectively transit via YVR and YYZ from the US to Europe.

THanks to the good souls in this forum, I just learned that transiting requires Canadian Customs clearance.

(1) How long does this take in each of these airports? I understand that it depends on the number of flights landing at the same time. But what was your experience?

(2) At YYZ, I will an overnight transit. AC pays for my hotel under their YYZ stopover program. Will I need to collect my luggage? (The website says no, but I am not sure if it applies to an overnight transit too.) Needless to say, both flights are in the same itinerary. Since I plan to go to downtown Toronto on the next day, I'd hate to re-check my luggage 2 hours before my Europe flight. By reading forum posts, it seems like asking AC phone agents may not give me a correct answer.

(3) As a re-enter YYZ after my hotel stay, I will have to go thru' security check. Do I have to remove my shoes?

Thanks very much for your help in advance.

Nayef Aug 6, 2019 9:32 pm

Are all the flight legs on Air Canada?

If that's the case, these guides might help:

US-YVR-Canada domestic (YYZ)

YVR-YYZ-International

As for your checked baggage, you can ask the AC agent in the US if you need to pick it up for your overnight transit.

Barkinpark Aug 6, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks, Nayef. I did read these pages, but it seems like they are intended for same-day transit.
I guess I will do what you mentioned: just have to ask the check-in agent. Afterall, they have dealt with the same situation many times.

airoli Aug 7, 2019 1:04 am

(3) No unless you wear particularly heavy boots or shoes that otherwise set off the metal detector (some have metal straps in their soles).

BCH Sep 8, 2019 7:21 pm

So here's a twist on the original question:

I am transiting through YYZ (still USA to International), and I have a 10+ hr layover during the day. I know my luggage will be checked through, and I am hoping to spend the day in Toronto.

After I land from the US, will I be able to go to the International terminal, use the lounge for breakfast/etc, then exit the airport for the day, and then return in the evening for my flight? Anyone know?

Thanks!

OSSYULYYZ Sep 8, 2019 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by BCH (Post 31504992)
After I land from the US, will I be able to go to the International terminal, use the lounge for breakfast/etc, then exit the airport for the day, and then return in the evening for my flight?

In order to go from the Int'l Terminal Airside to Landside, one has to go through Immigration. It won't be an easy thing to do after the original check.

BCH Sep 8, 2019 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ (Post 31505167)
In order to go from the Int'l Terminal Airside to Landside, one has to go through Immigration. It won't be an easy thing to do after the original check.

Thanks. I suppose I better just go through Immigration upon arrival and have breakfast somewhere fun in the city.