FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Boreal Forests in Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1981460-boreal-forests-canada.html)

jon_small Aug 3, 2019 4:29 pm

Boreal Forests in Canada

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some fairly accessible, yet no so overcrowded parks where I can hike and camp in boreal forest. I wanted to travel to Nahanni National Park, but it is so remote that it seems impossible to travel there independently (without very expensive organised helicopter tour or sth like that) I'm a bit disappointed becouse looking at the pictures - this is exactly what I'm looking for!

ps.
I guess some of you might mention Banff and Jasper - I'm afraid it might be too overcrowded for me. It's really close to Calgary :(

All suggestions are very welcome!

Seat13F_AC_CRJ Aug 4, 2019 6:01 am

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/index.php

You could fly to YYZ or YOW (slightly closer), and then drive or bus the rest of the way.
--
13F

KDS777 Aug 5, 2019 10:33 am

What about Vancouver Island ?

Camping, per say, is closely controlled and enforced in our national parks. Often being sold out months in advance makes planning a challenge. The island offers what you want, but in an environment where you may be able to accomplish what you are trying to do.

jon_small Aug 5, 2019 11:00 am

Many thanks for advices! Vancouver Island looks stunning (especially Pacific Rim National Park), but it's already way outside of boreal forest zone, so it's not quite what I'm looking for. Algonquin Park is the right ecosystem, but it's too close to big cities and I'm afraid it might be too crowded.

Currently I'm thinking about Newfoundland. 100% of the island is within boreal forest zone, there no big cities around and there are two beautiful parks to explore (Terra Nova and Gros Morne). Newfoundland could be exactly what I'm looking for!

TechnoTourist Aug 5, 2019 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by jon_small (Post 31381836)
Many thanks for advices! Vancouver Island looks stunning (especially Pacific Rim National Park), but it's already way outside of boreal forest zone, so it's not quite what I'm looking for. Algonquin Park is the right ecosystem, but it's too close to big cities and I'm afraid it might be too crowded.

Currently I'm thinking about Newfoundland. 100% of the island is within boreal forest zone, there no big cities around and there are two beautiful parks to explore (Terra Nova and Gros Morne). Newfoundland could be exactly what I'm looking for!

Algonquin park is not crowded, much of the park is only accessible via canoe. Its possible to go for days without seeing another person. The recent search and rescue of two teenage campers separated from their group is testament to that.

Another option is any of the dozens of Ontario provincial parks and expansive crown land between North Bay and the Manitoba border. The towns are 100s of KMs apart and you'll find nothing but lakes and trees.

If you do decide on Newfoundland, be careful when driving especially after dark. There are more moose than people in some areas and the roads are narrow and twisty.

KDS777 Aug 5, 2019 6:37 pm

And depending on where you are connecting thru, airfares within Canada to Newfoundland are pricey depending on the time of year and capacity.

eigenvector Aug 9, 2019 3:53 pm

Gros Morne is best known for subalpine bogs and krummholz, not boreal forest.

Algonquin Park is not crowded and as others have alluded to, a canoe trip particularly out of the northern access point will likely be in complete solitude. There are options for hiking up to ~100 km in the Western Uplands as well. If you are canoe-based you can also go the Temagami Region (e.g. Lady Evelyn Park) which has even less people but is not really accessible by foot. Temagami has some excellent old growth forests.

Prince Albert National Park is also a worthy example of boreal forest that is quite accessible from Saskatoon.

It really depends if you are looking for a few days hike on a maintained trail or a wilderness expedition. Algonquin is great for the former.

Admiral Ackbar Aug 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Algonquin Park is not the boreal forest anyway. Great Lakes-St Lawrence forest region. But agree the northern part is lovely (did many trips there as a teenager).

PhotoJim Aug 19, 2019 2:41 pm

Prince Albert National Park is underrated. It's beautiful and, especially outside mid-June-to-Labour-Day, quite quiet. It's about a 2-hour drive from YXE.

NordsFan Aug 22, 2019 2:25 pm

I think the Jacques-Cartier National Park might have something you would enjoy. We're out East, so you will have to fly into YQB.