Search

eTA confirmation with airlines

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
eTA confirmation with airlines

Hello,

On my recent flight to Canada (through United), the check-in people didn't inquire about my eTA and later before we boarded, the person at the gate said if anyone has an eTA they should show her proof of it. I showed her the confirmation email I got from 2016 and that was enough, and she said it's a new policy that got implemented, stating showing my green card wasn't enough anymore, but didn't specify which entity implemented it. So I'm not sure if it's a United thing or a directive from the Canadian government. It certainly wasn't a thing last August when I last flew to Canada.

Has anyone else had any recent experience with needing to show proof of eTA before boarding?
Old May 29, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: LH M+M
At check-in in HAM arlier this month (LH) I was just asked if I have a valid eTA - no proof required.
Boarding the actual FRA-YUL flight, noone asked at all.
Nayef likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Canadian Government explicitly says you don't have to prove it, just bring the passport

Do I have to print anything to prove that I have an eTA?
Old May 29, 2019, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Seems like a United thing then. Thank you guys for the answers.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I have a valid ETA but Air Canada is not allowing me to check in online on the basis that I do not have a valid ETA. I checked my ETA with the ETA checking tool and my ETA is valid till 2020. Has anyone encountered the same situation before?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Lonsinla
I have a valid ETA but Air Canada is not allowing me to check in online on the basis that I do not have a valid ETA. I checked my ETA with the ETA checking tool and my ETA is valid till 2020. Has anyone encountered the same situation before?
Are you certain that you're entering the correct passport details? The ETA is linked to the passport number.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:28 am

I can never check-in for flights myself, as I cannot have an eTA as a permanent resident. It's a frickin' nightmare.
Last month I was staying at CDG airport and tried to show my PR card before showing up for the actual check in with my luggage and was sent over the entire terminal. The horror, the horror.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YogiB
I can never check-in for flights myself, as I cannot have an eTA as a permanent resident. It's a frickin' nightmare.
Last month I was staying at CDG airport and tried to show my PR card before showing up for the actual check in with my luggage and was sent over the entire terminal. The horror, the horror.
AC accepts PR card details at OLCI. AA, UA and LX do not. UA claims to on the website. I’ll be trying with BA next.

What airline were you flying? AF? I had a whole thread about my generic dissatisfaction with this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by jc94

AC accepts PR card details at OLCI. AA, UA and LX do not. UA claims to on the website. I’ll be trying with BA next.

What airline were you flying? AF? I had a whole thread about my generic dissatisfaction with this.
I usually fly AF/KL.
I try to avoid AC like the plague due to their horrible track record in recognizing passenger rights. I generally fly EU carriers for EC261/2004 coverage. Within North America, I try Delta (SkyMiles Silver) and making the jump back to WestJet for domestic in Canada (closer ties with SkyTeam now).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.