Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which airlines allow NEXUS cards to be used for US/Canada travel?

Old Jul 4, 19, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Location: Primarily NOVA (anywhere between IAD DCA DEN DMM BAH)
Programs: United MileagePlus, NEXUS

I know United and Air Canada allow the use of NEXUS cards as an ID for the purpose of flying between the US and Canada if you're an American or Canadian citizen (I've seen the kiosks and websites for United and Air Canada giving the option to choose either a passport or NEXUS card), and I'm wondering which other airlines allow them (or don't) for flying between the two countries.

I ask because it seems like Porter Airlines requires a passport while but Air Canada seems fine with NEXUS as an alternative to a passport.

Edit: I probably should've posted this in Trusted Travelers but I thought it might be broad enough for traveling to Canada that it might work in this subforum.

Last edited by Nayef; Jul 4, 19 at 7:36 pm Reason: added details and links
Old Jul 9, 19, 11:23 am

The Nexus card is a WHTI-compliant ID card. It should be accepted for cross-border travel.

All airlines should accept this piece of ID, but technically we are still obliged to have a passport on us and airline staff is allowed to verify if we have the passport with us (because they are on the hook if we don't have one and get stuck at the border). If the staff feels it's faster to simply ask for the passport at the gate, instead of asking for both, that's (de facto) within their right.
Nayef likes this.

Search this Thread