Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One week trip to Toronto, Niagara falls, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City - Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
advice - from two of the cities enroute

Doors Open Toronto is indeed on today. The provincial capital is recovering from the Raptors' winning the E Conf championship last night. Street parties, hangovers and revelry.
If I was you, I suggest you buy a TTC day pass for $13 (good for two adults and four teenagers). For Niagara Falls tomorrow, make it a day trip - in, out, 5 hours? Recommend driving the Niagara Parkway from the Falls to Niagara on the Lake.
There is plenty to do in Ottawa w/o DOH - tours of the Senate, the House of Commons (both in new temporary digs) and the new Ottawa Art Gallery. PM me if want more ideas. The Grand Prix hits Montreal on June 7-9 but there will be lots of preparation underway. Don't miss Mount Royal. Quebec City is a must. Stay two nights if possible. The food is that good!
That brings me to the drive. You don't need/want to take the 401. In fact, its not even the shortest route from Toronto to Ottawa. Take 401 to Belleville, 37 to Tweed and 7 to Ottawa. Faster & more scenic. There are similar scenic routes from Ottawa to Montreal. For Quebec C ity, I would take the train.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Having a blast so far. Staying in Niagara Falls tonight, 5/27. The only regret is that I didn't get a falls view room. The city view is not ugly but just meh. Decided to spend Monday in Niagara Falls because of weather. We didn't want to see it for the first time...with rains.

We like Toronto so far. We haven't even explore the Downtown yet...just Casa Loma, Glenn Gould resting place, University of Toronto and Distillery District. It was miserable yesterday as I had to pull out of Distillery District and let my friends go their way wandering around the District...I had to take a short nap in the car.

Feeling much better after a good night of sleep. Will see how it goes the rest of the trip. Chao!
Old May 28, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
If the citizenship of everyone allows it and the rental car agreement does also, from Niagara Falls, go to Montreal via Rochester and Watertown NY then come back over the border at Gananoque or Cornwall (cheaper gas by a lot) and when you get to Montreal decide if another 500 + km to Quebec makes sense based on what you've done and time left. Vs. doubling back from Niagara Falls to Toronto, and through Toronto to head east.

Overall it's too much driving and not enough sightseeing for such a short amount of time. The view of Lake Ontario is that it's a lake. You can see it from St. Catharines for 5 minutes and once you've seen it, you've seen it. While in Niagara not too far to see Lake Erie as well. Blindfold one person and point them at either lake and see if they can tell the difference. They won't be able to. They are just lakes. Big ones.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Now that the trip is over I can give some of my impression and perhaps helpful tips for whoever planning on a similar trip in the future:

1. Costco in Canada takes MasterCard. No Visa accepted.
2. Gas at Costco is no cheaper than local gas station. So don't go out of your way planning trip stops based on Costco location.
3. Lots of construction happening during non-winter season. If you plan to bike around the city, make sure you *love* dust.
4. This trip confirms my preference for small, less touristy cities so thumbs up to Quebec and Ottawa.
5. Get a fall view hotel room at Niagara Falls (doesn't really matter which hotel, as long as it's facing the Falls and within close proximity) It will be expensive but you will love it.
6. Journey behind the fall is meh.
7. Hornblower cruise is awesome.
8. Niagara on a lake is worth the 30 mins drive. Make sure to make a stop at the church. You know which one
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
(1) Rumour has it that some Costcos in Canada will take the US Costco VISA Card.
(3) In Montréal, there are only 2 seasons: Winter and Construction.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan
(2) In Moncton, New Brunswick the Costco gas is way cheaper than anywhere else in town. Probably depends on provincial regulations.

If you were to do the trip again, would you still have such a packed itinerary?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
(2) It's really hit or miss. In Newmarket the Costco is cheaper than any of the gas stations around. In Ottawa the only Costco with gas is cheaper than the surrounding stations, but is on par with the gas in the east end of the city which is always cheaper than in the west.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smallmj
(2) In Moncton, New Brunswick the Costco gas is way cheaper than anywhere else in town. Probably depends on provincial regulations.

If you were to do the trip again, would you still have such a packed itinerary?
I would but definitely add days to it. 2-3 more days would be optimal.

It also really depends on your traveling style. If you are the type that likes to sit down at a coffee shop and take it all in, every afternoon, then adding one more week is not out of question.

I will add one more pointer - Visit Niagara Falls on the sunniest day possible. That area easily gets foggy so if you don't see blue sky with a big sun, don't bother.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.