Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Route from Columbia icefield to Kamloops

Old May 5, 19, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, KE Morning Calm

I am going to Canadian Rockies with my family at the end of May.
We will rent a vehicle from YVR. 2 nights in Vancouver - 1 night in Kamloops - 3 nights in Banff - 2 nights in Jasper - 1 night in Kamloops - 1 night in Vancouver

Day 9 - After visiting Columbia Icefield in the morning, we will drive to Kamloops.
Google map shows
shortest route (6hr 5min) Columbia Icefield - highway 93 (going north) - Jasper - highway 16 - highway 5 - Kamloops
alternative route (6hr 36min) Columbia Icefield - highway 93 (going south) - highway 1 - Kamloops

I am okay with 30 min more driving as long as the view on the alternative route is better or chance of wildlife seeing is much better.
Old May 6, 19, 9:48 am

Programs: AC, Marriott
If you're taking the 1 from Kamloops on the way in to Banff, you should definitely head north to Jasper when leaving the Columbia Icefields. The drive north is incredible, the 93 to Jasper has long panoramic vistas, with bright blue rivers and high alpine meadows and you're likely to see sheep and elk. Jasper Park in general is more open and scenic compared to the densely treed area around Lake Louise and Banff. I would even think about spending one of those Banff nights in Jasper and a stop in at Miette hot springs in also recommended.
Old May 6, 19, 10:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by poohhead80 View Post
I am going to Canadian Rockies with my family at the end of May.
We will rent a vehicle from YVR. 2 nights in Vancouver - 1 night in Kamloops - 3 nights in Banff - 2 nights in Jasper - 1 night in Kamloops - 1 night in Vancouver

Day 9 - After visiting Columbia Icefield in the morning, we will drive to Kamloops.
Google map shows
shortest route (6hr 5min) Columbia Icefield - highway 93 (going north) - Jasper - highway 16 - highway 5 - Kamloops
alternative route (6hr 36min) Columbia Icefield - highway 93 (going south) - highway 1 - Kamloops

I am okay with 30 min more driving as long as the view on the alternative route is better or chance of wildlife seeing is much better.
Why not do both? Highway 1 on the way to Banff then on the way back to Kamloops take HIghway 16 and Highway 5. You'll cover the Icefield Parkway (Hwy 93) on your way to Jasper so you'll basically do a loop. I don't find the highway to be the best place to spot wildlife personally. You'll have better luck along the 1A Parkway between Banff and Lake Louise, along the Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93) and even in the town of Banff and Jasper as well. The only place on the highway that's I've seen wildlife are bighorn sheep that like to cross the road east of Golden, BC.

Search this Thread