Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Northern Lights in Niagra Falls in Summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

If I go to Niagara Falls in Summer, can I guarantee to see Northern Lights?

What are some tips to see them?
Do you have to be in a specific place to see them?

Any tips on hotels?
Can I also drive from Toronto and see the lights without staying in a hotel?
Old May 3, 2019, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by sciconf
If I go to Niagara Falls in Summer, can I guarantee to see Northern Lights?

No. Hard no.

That's a little far south, especially in summer. While I spent very little time in Ontario, I can tell you there is a BIG difference between Edmonton and Calgary, and both are further north @:-) Even in Victoria it's very rare .... and the big difference between Calgary and Edmonton, is that the latter is more likely to have colors in Northern Lights.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid
No. Hard no.

That's a little far south, especially in summer. While I spent very little time in Ontario, I can tell you there is a BIG difference between Edmonton and Calgary, and both are further north @:-) Even in Victoria it's very rare .... and the big difference between Calgary and Edmonton, is that the latter is more likely to have colors in Northern Lights.
So where should I be near Niagara Falls to see the Northern Lights this summer?
Old May 3, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA MM
So where should I be near Niagara Falls to see the Northern Lights this summer?
About 500 miles or more north of Niagara Falls.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
In the summer? Maybe end of August otherwise the further north you go the less likely you'll get any real darkness, much less an aurora.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Pick a different month, or enjoy the coloured lights on Niagara Falls at night!
nancypants and seawolf like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
What is this town called? Desirable places to find hotel?
Old May 5, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
The probability of seeing the northern lights with the naked eye anywhere in southern Ontario in summer is vanishingly small. For a good chance of seeing it you want to visit somewhere at least as far north as Winnipeg/Edmonton/Prince George and in the winter when there's many hours of darkness. Yellowknife is ideal if you really want to be guaranteed a glimpse during a relatively short visit.
nancypants and ajGoes like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauq
In the summer? Maybe end of August otherwise the further north you go the less likely you'll get any real darkness, much less an aurora.
Could you suggest some months and locations (town names) where I am guaranteed to see northern lights?
Old May 5, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Could you suggest some months and locations (town names) where I am guaranteed to see northern lights?
Yellowknife & Churchill are the most popular. November to March when it's dark 15+ hours a day. These places also have very clear skies so if the aurora is active, you will almost certainly see it because it will be dark and clear.
j_the_p, YZF_Elite and nancypants like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
The probability of seeing the northern lights with the naked eye anywhere in southern Ontario in summer is vanishingly small. For a good chance of seeing it you want to visit somewhere at least as far north as Winnipeg/Edmonton/Prince George and in the winter when there's many hours of darkness. Yellowknife is ideal if you really want to be guaranteed a glimpse during a relatively short visit.
Thanks
Winnipeg, Manitoba (closer to Minnesota, US)
Churchill, Manitoba
Edmonton, Alberta
Prince George, BC

Prince George, BC, might be easier to travel if I can not see it from Toronta

Last edited by sciconf; May 5, 2019 at 3:58 pm
Old May 5, 2019, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The furthest south I've seen northern lights in Canada is on an island in Georgian Bay about half an hour from Owen Sound and it was a rare event. Not only is seeing them far south uncommon there is the added problem of light pollution in much of Southern Ontario.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
You are never guaranteed to see the northern lights.
jc94, airoli and seawolf like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I've seen the northern lights in southern Ontario, not too far from Niagara Falls, but it was an extremely cold night in the middle of winter, and coincided with a major solar storm event, a very rare combination of things, and even then you would have to drive far away from the population to get away from light pollution of the cities. Bottom line is that unless everything lines up perfectly, your best bet to see the northern lights is to plan a separate trip to someplace in Northern Canada in the middle of winter. Whitehorse or Yellowknife would be popular destinations for this kind of thing, just be sure to pack some winter clothes because it will be -30 or -40 at night!!
Old May 7, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've seen the northern lights in southern Ontario once in 15 years, it only lasted a few minutes, and wasn't anything like the beautiful photographs of them you see with the pinks and purples (it was a subdued greenish light).

I'd head to the territories, Whitehorse, Yellowknife, Iqaluit, etc. and as others have said, in winter, not summer.
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.