Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YUL: Canadian Customs Sending Me to Secondary Inspection for Declaring Food?

Old Apr 19, 19, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Had this happen twice (out of 2 times) at YUL and wondering if this is a regular thing at YUL for everyone else

I have nexus and usually carry some sort of snack with me when I travel (granola bar etc.). I always declare it to Canadian and US customs. Coming home to YYZ, whenever I get the flag on my exit printout there is a booth (right after the nexus machines before going down to baggage) where I tell them about my granola bar and the officer will stamp my printout allowing me to exit without issues. Never had any issues through US customs either (in fact they usually give me the "did you really have to tell me that?" eyeroll).

At YUL however, there is no booth between the machines and the exit. When they saw the flag at the exit they said both times I needed to go to secondary inspection. There I waited 50 minutes with people carrying 5 checked bags each, just to spend 10 seconds telling the officer that I have a granola bar and be told to carry on with my day.

Anyone else experience this at YUL? Or did I get unlucky/miss the booth somewhere?
Old Apr 19, 19, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

Exclamation

As this has nothing to do with either Air Canada or Aeroplan ithis thread has been relocated to the Canada FT destination forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Apr 19, 19, 5:17 pm

Programs: E50K, DL GM, Bonvoy Gold Elite
Based on my experience, if you check any box during the declaration process they automatically try to send you to secondary, it is muscle memory. It is important when approaching the officer, to quickly offer up what it is and even show them. Then they will use their brain and point you towards the exit.
Old Apr 19, 19, 7:18 pm

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Originally Posted by qszwdxefc View Post
Had this happen twice (out of 2 times) at YUL and wondering if this is a regular thing at YUL for everyone else

I have nexus and usually carry some sort of snack with me when I travel (granola bar etc.). I always declare it to Canadian and US customs. Coming home to YYZ, whenever I get the flag on my exit printout there is a booth (right after the nexus machines before going down to baggage) where I tell them about my granola bar and the officer will stamp my printout allowing me to exit without issues. Never had any issues through US customs either (in fact they usually give me the "did you really have to tell me that?" eyeroll).

At YUL however, there is no booth between the machines and the exit. When they saw the flag at the exit they said both times I needed to go to secondary inspection. There I waited 50 minutes with people carrying 5 checked bags each, just to spend 10 seconds telling the officer that I have a granola bar and be told to carry on with my day.

Anyone else experience this at YUL? Or did I get unlucky/miss the booth somewhere?
Yes this has happened to me specifically at YUL as well. They said that if I had anything to declare, to not use the nexus lanes...
Old Apr 19, 19, 8:57 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
In Edmonton there is an officer right after the nexus machines that takes a look and asks about any anomalies (like a 1.75l of gin ) and then stamps the nexus declaration, hand it in at the exit and am free to go.
Old Apr 19, 19, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT/f
Here's an idea... Next time, just eat or toss the granola bar before you get to the NEXUS kiosks.
seat38a, injian, TWA884 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 19, 9:19 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, PP, Hertz PC
Yes, this happened to me at YUL with my family as well, using Nexus. As I recall from YUL, yes, you exit right at the ramp to baggage claim, but you should go back into the Dimplomatic line and see an agent, like YYZ. The agent should ask you the question of what you brought, and make the mark.

In my case, I did that, told the agent about the chocolate and candy, and the agent marked on all of our NEXUS sheets. We got to the exit, and bam - sent into secondary for a 60 minute wait, too. When we got to the front, we put the bags on the counter, the agent asked us what we had, and we told him the same thing as the desk - he said next time we should go to the desk for the agent to mark the form, and told us to just go ahead and leave without inspection. I said we did, and he just shrugged.

It just seems to be ridiculous at YUL.... at YOW and YYZ I always do the same, and like you the agents just mark my form with the "all clear" code, and I exit without a problem. I bring a bag of almonds with me for snack and gum - and I do not want to risk my Nexus.

For GE, same thing - I get the O on the card, tell the agents, and am sent on.

Looks like YUL is the gong show...
Old Apr 20, 19, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hyatt Explorist
I get get second inspection whenever I bring food back through Nexus at YYZ as I check off one of the boxes as yes. I just don't bring any food back now or not use Nexus at all. However, if it's just chocolate bars, they don't bother inspecting the bag. It's like 30s extra so I don't mine.
Old Apr 20, 19, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Here's an idea... Next time, just eat or toss the granola bar before you get to the NEXUS kiosks.
Originally Posted by GateGuardian View Post
I get get second inspection whenever I bring food back through Nexus at YYZ as I check off one of the boxes as yes. I just don't bring any food back now or not use Nexus at all. However, if it's just chocolate bars, they don't bother inspecting the bag. It's like 30s extra so I don't mine.
Glad to hear this is a pattern instead of it just being me. The reason I still carry around food is because literally no other airport's customs gives me trouble (I fly internationally 4-5 times/year mostly through YYZ and various United hubs)
Old Apr 20, 19, 2:25 pm

Yes this has happened to me at YUL. Now I no longer use Nexus at YUL if I am bringing home Sees Candies or whatnot.

Interesting that the non Nexus machines (at YUL and elsewhere) now have a supplementary food question (after you say yes to the general food question) asking you about the kind of food and whether it is chocolate, candy, etc. I said yes to that question twice (both times it was chocolate) and had no issues.

Yes I travel too much. Yes I eat too many Sees Candies.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 19, 10:44 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Salisbury5 View Post
Yes this has happened to me at YUL. Now I no longer use Nexus at YUL if I am bringing home Sees Candies or whatnot.

Interesting that the non Nexus machines (at YUL and elsewhere) now have a supplementary food question (after you say yes to the general food question) asking you about the kind of food and whether it is chocolate, candy, etc. I said yes to that question twice (both times it was chocolate) and had no issues.

Yeah Iíve taken food through YUL but because the machine additional questions covered what I had (including dried fruit) and was not an issue. Iíve declared all kinds of food at YYZ many times and only went to secondary once for just a few minutes once, for whats that worth.
Old May 11, 19, 8:11 pm

Programs: QR, AC, EVA, UL and PAL
It happened to me in YUL too and through normal channels. I did not declare anything and when i was asked what I had I said I had chocolates. Then they sent me to secondary and had to wait a long time and I missed my domestic connection too.
I have been flying into YYZ now and I tick every time if I have chocolates now. Last week I actually asked them if I should tick for diary products if I had only chocolates and they said yes. But every time they just sent me through and never sent me to secondary check as now I tick the diary products if I have chocolates.
Old May 14, 19, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Salisbury5 View Post

Interesting to know that the non Nexus machines have a secondary question which I'm assuming is going to be the same for across the country.
I'm typically going thru the Nexus lane at YVR and declaring food because I'm bringing back processed snacks and dried fruits. It'd be great to have that secondary question. Usually what happens to me in YVR is that the agent will see that I ticked food, ask what the food is, and away I go without needing to go to the food inspection area at the exit.
Old Jul 3, 19, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by jc94 View Post

Yeah Iíve taken food through YUL but because the machine additional questions covered what I had (including dried fruit) and was not an issue. Iíve declared all kinds of food at YYZ many times and only went to secondary once for just a few minutes once, for whats that worth.
Do you recall additional questions under food in terms of specific items, tea ,spices, baked goods, food supplements like fibre, etc
Old Jul 4, 19, 6:54 am

Sorry to hijack but on a related note, has anyone ever successfully brought home cured meat? Just some small personal quantities.

I’ve had cured meat taken from me on two occasions, so I’m aware it’s generally prohibited. But I was wondering if there was any way to get an exception (Eg. perhaps for certain producers?)

Search this Thread