Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

YUL: Canadian Customs Sending Me to Secondary Inspection for Declaring Food?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YUL: Canadian Customs Sending Me to Secondary Inspection for Declaring Food?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by gonebabygone
I’ve had cured meat taken from me on two occasions, so I’m aware it’s generally prohibited. But I was wondering if there was any way to get an exception (Eg. perhaps for certain producers?)
Short: depends if from USA (yes) or not (no). Full list, incl. limits: What Can I Bring Into Canada in Terms Of Food, Plant, Animal and Related Products? - Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Drat. Thanks anyway
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Do you recall additional questions under food in terms of specific items, tea ,spices, baked goods, food supplements like fibre, etc
I can’t recall details but it was just a huge list and said for anything else. List included things like chocolate and dried fruit (which is what I had, chocolate and a Christmas pudding lol)

Sorry to hijack but on a related note, has anyone ever successfully brought home cured meat? Just some small personal quantities.

I’ve had cured meat taken from me on two occasions, so I’m aware it’s generally prohibited. But I was wondering if there was any way to get an exception (Eg. perhaps for certain producers?)
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Yeah basically if from the US almost anything goes. I’ve brought in cooked pizza before (declared) and she told me they really don’t care if it’s from the US. Though I’m not sure all raw meat would make it.

Elsewhere? Unlikely.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by jc94

Yeah basically if from the US almost anything goes. I’ve brought in cooked pizza before (declared) and she told me they really don’t care if it’s from the US. Though I’m not sure all raw meat would make it.

Elsewhere? Unlikely.

Which just seems so ridiculous. Maybe this is my ignorance talking but surely cured meats from a developed country like France wouldn't pose a problem to our flora or fauna?

Last edited by gonebabygone; Jul 5, 2019 at 12:28 pm Reason: Quoted wrong section
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Which just seems so ridiculous. Maybe this is my ignorance talking but surely cured meats from a developed country like France wouldn't pose a problem to our flora or fauna?
Diseases such as Asian Swine Flu (which is slowly creeping across Europe and is currently present in Belgium) can survive for months in processed pork products. The presence of ASF in Canada would be economically devastating. Now multiply that devastation by at least 7 other animal diseases not currently present in Canada but that can one day arrive. Doesn't seem so ridiculous any more I hope…

African swine fever - fact sheet - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

https://www.cpc-ccp.com/asf-in-other-countries
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by ls17031
Diseases such as Asian Swine Flu (which is slowly creeping across Europe and is currently present in Belgium) can survive for months in processed pork products. The presence of ASF in Canada would be economically devastating. Now multiply that devastation by at least 7 other animal diseases not currently present in Canada but that can one day arrive. Doesn't seem so ridiculous any more I hope…

African swine fever - fact sheet - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

https://www.cpc-ccp.com/asf-in-other-countries
Excellent point! That really helps.

I will prevent my stomach from doing the thinking in the future
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:18 am

YUL is my home base.

Indeed, if you have food to declare: don't use Nexus.

Normally the e-form is like this:
- Do you have food?
-- YES
--- Does it contain dairy, plant-based, animal-based, etc...?
---- NO (this will return your previous YES in a NO and you don't get "invited" to secondary)

We had to do secondary checks once (actually, we only talked about it, they never asked us to open any luggage), but never again do I want to live that waiting game again if I can help it. Staff their simply took our verbal declaration of cheese and sent us on our way.

If I bring candies or other super-processed foods, I'm using Nexus.
If I'm bringing home cheese from Europe, I'm taking the regular lane. Although, last time we did that, we got some gestapo interrogation at primary. The guy was trying to get us to admit we were smuggling something into the country, as he thought it was impossible that 2 people could travel with 3 items of checked luggage. He didn't even accept our Nexus cards and wanted to see every piece of ID we were carrying. I guess a rotten apple.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by YogiB
YUL is my home base.

Indeed, if you have food to declare: don't use Nexus.

Normally the e-form is like this:
- Do you have food?
-- YES
--- Does it contain dairy, plant-based, animal-based, etc...?
---- NO (this will return your previous YES in a NO and you don't get "invited" to secondary)

We had to do secondary checks once (actually, we only talked about it, they never asked us to open any luggage), but never again do I want to live that waiting game again if I can help it. Staff their simply took our verbal declaration of cheese and sent us on our way.

If I bring candies or other super-processed foods, I'm using Nexus.
If I'm bringing home cheese from Europe, I'm taking the regular lane. Although, last time we did that, we got some gestapo interrogation at primary. The guy was trying to get us to admit we were smuggling something into the country, as he thought it was impossible that 2 people could travel with 3 items of checked luggage. He didn't even accept our Nexus cards and wanted to see every piece of ID we were carrying. I guess a rotten apple.
Nexus at YYC provided a follow up question after the first food question was marked YES. But then the regular kiosks had a hiccup when I was clearing on July 5th and everybody was handed a paper declaration to fill. Nexus machines were not affected.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Sounds like a YUL thing.

in YYC when I do this, I just get directed to the other line to see a CBSA officer at a kiosk, where they asked me what I had. After that, I was passed thru. Prepackaged commercially available products get a pass it seems, if you declare them.

I assume had I been carrying fresh fruit items, or something along the lines of what you see people attempt to import on the TV show "Border Security" I would have got sent off to secondary.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Salisbury5
Interesting that the non Nexus machines (at YUL and elsewhere) now have a supplementary food question (after you say yes to the general food question) asking you about the kind of food and whether it is chocolate, candy, etc. I said yes to that question twice (both times it was chocolate) and had no issues.
Last time I used Nexus kiosks at YUL (last June), I also got this follow-up question. If you can reply NO to the follow-up question (dairy, raw plants, etc.) you won't have to go to secondary. I travelled with a lot of candy, which isn't a risk food, so I was good.

Whenever I travel with cheese, I no longer use Nexus at YUL, since (like already mentioned) there's no access to a booth after Nexus kiosks and you can't declare anything to the guy that filters people out for secondary just before the exit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.