Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

API - dual citizenship layover - CAN - US - Japan

Old Mar 26, 19, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

I'm a US/CAN dual citizen (born in US, live in Canada).

I'm travelling from Canada to Japan with a layover in the US. Which passport do I use for the API check in?

I need to show US passport to enter US on both outbound and inbound trips (US place of birth means they really want to see my US passport at immigration). And my Canadian passport is required to return to Canada. But which passport to I use to get into and out of Japan? And which passport do I need to show to airline and book the ticket with?

Bonus: I will be travelling with my partner who is just a Canadian citizen. Does that make any difference which passport I show in Japan when we enter together
Old Mar 27, 19, 5:52 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
Since you can enter Japan visa-free as an American and as a Canadian, it is completely up to you which passport you want to show at Japanese immigration. Use the same to enter and leave Japan.

You will need to travel with both passports because as you rightly said, you will need to show your US passport to enter the US for your transit, and your Canadian passport to return to Canada. (Assuming you don't have a Nexus card, which could substitute for the Canadian passport.)

It also does not matter which passport goes into the API, since both of them are eligible to enter the destination country. What is in the API does not need to match what you show the immigration official.

Your travelling companion has no impact.

Search this Thread