Wiki Posts
Search

US to US flight connecting in YUL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
US to US flight connecting in YUL

I have a weird layover where I am leaving the US and connecting to YUL and going right back to the US. What do I need to pass through in YUL as far as immigration?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by chitink
I have a weird layover where I am leaving the US and connecting to YUL and going right back to the US. What do I need to pass through in YUL as far as immigration?
That sounds like cabotage to me if I am not mistaken? That is, assuming you are taking AC and not a codeshare or something.

Last edited by bman1002; Mar 21, 2019 at 8:35 am Reason: AC comment.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bman1002
That sounds like cabotage to me if I am not mistaken? That is, assuming you are taking AC and not a codeshare or something.
I am not sure what that is? We are arriving on an AA flight and connecting on a AC flight.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
It's not sold as a single ticket connecting flight (which would be "cabotage" and against the rules) presumably. Either way, they don't expect US-US connections in Canadian airports, so you'll have to do Canadian immigration then turn around and do US immigration.
chitink likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is not really an airline specific question the thread has been relocated to the FT Canada destination forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Haven't done this in YUL, but in YYZ I went through the border into Canada, then walked down to US Departures and went back through security and back through US immigration then to the gate.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Being AA to AC it's cabotage. If on two tickets things should be ok but DO NOT tell AA about the second flight. If you have luggage you'll have to clear Canadian immigration, get bag, go through customs, check bag with AC and then clear US immigration (Flights from YUL to the US are CBP precleared.
Be sure to leave a lot of time between flights.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Being AA to AC it's cabotage. If on two tickets things should be ok but DO NOT tell AA about the second flight. If you have luggage you'll have to clear Canadian immigration, get bag, go through customs, check bag with AC and then clear US immigration (Flights from YUL to the US are CBP precleared.
Be sure to leave a lot of time between flights.
we do not have luggage. What will we have to do at YUL. We have about 2.5 hours.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I had never heard or read the word "cabotage" before. I initially thought it was some kind of Flyertalk-invented terminology based on "sabotage."
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
At YUL you'll do Canadian immigration and if asked just tell them you're in transit between flights. Most won't ask details than that. Since no baggage you'll pass through Customs and proceed to US PreClearance to do US immigration & customs. Board your plane and when you land it'll be like you were a domestic flight. Walk off the plane and to transportation.

we do not have luggage. What will we have to do at YUL. We have about 2.5 hours.
It's a bit outdated, in my opinion, law about who can carry passengers between two domestic routes in the territory of a country. It gets complicated with places like Hawaii and Guam.
Originally Posted by hotturnip
I had never heard or read the word "cabotage" before. I initially thought it was some kind of Flyertalk-invented terminology based on "sabotage."
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Depending upon OPs passport might CBSA in YUL object to this? Unlikely to be asked any questions if legal resident of Canada but others will be listing duration of stay as “1 day” and may be asked purpose of visit no?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jc94
Depending upon OPs passport might CBSA in YUL object to this? Unlikely to be asked any questions if legal resident of Canada but others will be listing duration of stay as “1 day” and may be asked purpose of visit no?
I can't imagine it would be a big deal. The OP could simply say something like "we're doing a mileage run" or some other answer indicating they're headed straight back to the US.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:49 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
What will we have to do at YUL. We have about 2.5 hours.
Last fall I had a weird flight via YUL as well, 2 hours connection time and due to my unusual and weird itinerary (Casablanca - Montreal - Casablanca b2b - last 747 commercial flight for Royal Air Maroc) I had interview with 3 different agents and at the end I still had 1h to kill in the airside (after I passed again the security check) good luck
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
You need to have documents that allow you to be admitted into Canada and be admitted to the United States.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: ba silver
It' s two separate airlines and from the OP' s information two separate tickets so this isn't cabotage as it' s not being sold as a through trip.. When you land at Trudeau you go upstairs through a long corridor towards CBSA; there are stairs midway leading to US departures and US CBP. You may or may be allowed to go that way. They will definitely not check bags all the way through. You'll have to claim them and check them again with AC. This is not a connection, but rather a trip to Montreal followed by a trip to another city from Montreal. It' s important to keep in mind that if your first flight is delayed and you miss the second one you will forfeit the second ticket if it' s non-refundable, and your first airline is not responsible to re-route you if the flight is delayed, only to get you to Montreal. Good luck!
rickg523, airoli, Absolute and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.