FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Can I travel from Canada to USA without passport? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1961423-can-i-travel-canada-usa-without-passport.html)

harrisdocks Mar 18, 2019 8:38 am

Can I travel from Canada to USA without passport?

please help

dr_torch Mar 18, 2019 8:40 am

Welcome to FT. You may want to put more details in your question.

However, please refer to this : https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states

skybluesea Mar 18, 2019 8:40 am

Originally Posted by harrisdocks (Post 30900732)
please help

if you have a NEXUS card yes AC will accept.

MSPeconomist Mar 18, 2019 8:46 am

Generally not, but there can be exceptions for certain types of emergency/alternate travel documents.

How do you plan to travel? Fly on AC?

Some (land) border crossings are unstaffed, so the answer to your literal "CAN I" question could be yes, even though the crosssing without required travel documents would be illegal and you would surely be told to go back as soon as you called to do the required self report.

In some circumstances, you could be able to travel on a NEXUS card, but you cannot get a NEXUS card if you don't have a passport.

acse17 Mar 18, 2019 8:50 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30900775)
Generally not, but there can be exceptions for certain types of emergency/alternate travel documents.

How do you plan to travel? Fly on AC?

Some (land) border crossings are unstaffed, so the answer to your literal "CAN I" question could be yes, even though the crosssing without required travel documents would be illegal and you would surely be told to go back as soon as you called to do the required self report.

In some circumstances, you could be able to travel on a NEXUS card, but you cannot get a NEXUS card if you don't have a passport.

You're required to have your passport with you while crossing by air, so while technically you can skate by if all goes well, if you're flagged for secondary, you'll be at the mercy of the officer whether or not they kick you out of NEXUS.

gokeeper Mar 18, 2019 8:50 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea (Post 30900747)

if you have a NEXUS card yes AC will accept.

​​​​​​I believe you still need to scan your passport at Global Entry kiosk?

secretalcoholic Mar 18, 2019 8:55 am

Originally Posted by gokeeper (Post 30900787)
​​​​​​I believe you still need to scan your passport at Global Entry kiosk?

for whatever reason, GE kiosks in Canada actually accept nexus, I had not known this for years until pointed out by an airport staff.

However, I would highly not recommend traveling without a passport. Nexus rules actually stipulate you’re still obligated to carry a passport on you.

In addition, if there’s any reason you need to seek consular assistance, passport will be your proof of citizenship, not nexus.

Carrying both also ensures you don’t have to argue with some airline agent or TSA agent that insists the Nexus card is not a valid travel document *rolls eyes*

tcook052 Mar 18, 2019 8:55 am

As this is a topic beyond Air Canada it's been relocated to the FT Canada destination forum.

tcook052
Air Canada foru moderator

Often1 Mar 18, 2019 8:59 am

Rather than speculating on the unlikely scenarios, it would be more helpful if OP simply provided the details of the travel he proposes and what he has for identification as well as whether he has Nexus. With that information, there will be good & solid advice.

dr_torch Mar 18, 2019 9:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30900775)
Some (land) border crossings are unstaffed

I had no idea this was the case. I find this really neat. Thanks for the info.

harrisdocks Mar 18, 2019 9:06 am

thanks for the response

JimInOhio Mar 18, 2019 9:14 am

Originally Posted by harrisdocks (Post 30900732)
please help

Regardless of government requirements, no airline is going to let you board a flight to another country (excluding things like intra-Schengen) without verifying you have a legitimate passport.

MSPeconomist Mar 18, 2019 9:21 am

Originally Posted by acse17 (Post 30900786)
You're required to have your passport with you while crossing by air, so while technically you can skate by if all goes well, if you're flagged for secondary, you'll be at the mercy of the officer whether or not they kick you out of NEXUS.

Of course one shouldn't do this, but in an emergency being able to make the trip might be more important than staying in NEXUS.

gokeeper Mar 18, 2019 9:44 am

Originally Posted by secretalcoholic (Post 30900814)

for whatever reason, GE kiosks in Canada actually accept nexus, I had not known this for years until pointed out by an airport staff.

Wow, thanks for sharing this, I might try to scan my nexus to see how it works next time, with passport on me of course :D

GUWonder Mar 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by dr_torch (Post 30900851)
I had no idea this was the case. I find this really neat. Thanks for the info.

Technically, most of these now have a timely self-reporting/call-in requirement.