Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can I travel from Canada to USA without passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I travel from Canada to USA without passport?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I learned something new yesterday. Prior to boarding my flight to YEG, the UA gate agent announced that all passengers must present a valid passport OR a Nexus card along with their boarding pass when boarding the flight. I asked the gate agent about this, stating I never heard this before. She mentioned it's not new but maybe most gate agents just mention a passport.
It's indeed not new to be able to do so, but the airline policy of whether or not it would accept NEXUS in lieu of a passport in hand has varied by carrier; and carriers that have allowed it for nearly the entire time that it's been allowed by the governments have been inconsistent at times because of lack of proper agent education/information for the circumstances.

Nor is it new or old for US citizens to be able to legally enter Canada by land with a regular US state driving license in the same name and citizenship as indicated by a US state birth certificate and then re-enter the US by land with those exact same two documents. It's still done often, without an EDL.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Only big problem I see if departing Canadian airport with pre-clearance to US is the you are not allow into the the pre-clearance area nor the CATSA security before that without valid document to enter the US (passport, Nexus or passport with valid visa)
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Originally Posted by samwise6222

Both TIMATIC and CBP say that you don't need a passport if you have your NEXUS card.
Rules on paper and real world are different.

Entering US, you technically don’t need a passport with NEXUS. It’s documented in CFR. In reality, CBP may ask for passport and most airlines will ask for passport.

Entering Canada, you technically don’t need a passport either especially with NEXUS and in practice CBSA rarely ask (less so than CBP). But again most airlines will ask.

Notable exceptions are Air Canada and Porter (never flew WestJet).
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TIMATIC is entirely correct. But, carriers are free to set their own requirements above those required by the destination country. I am not sure why one would do that, but they have done so in the past.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Often1
TIMATIC is entirely correct. But, carriers are free to set their own requirements above those required by the destination country. I am not sure why one would do that, but they have done so in the past.
I’ve seen UA almost refuse to board a passenger before their (US) passport was only valid for the length of their stay in Canada. And of course, there is no 6 month requirement for US passports in Canada.

And I’ve had similar conversations or a more technical nature with LH for example with them telling me I am responsible for knowing the rules. The problem is I do know the rules, airlines don’t seem to!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:38 am

I don't think so
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:28 pm

Given the lack of detail on the question - the answer is almost definitely no. There are ways that you can though - e.g. NEXUS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.