Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can I travel from Canada to USA without passport?

Can I travel from Canada to USA without passport?

Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not merely technically. There have been some whopping fines levied on individuals who have crossed and failed to report in. Some of those people live in towns on the border and have walked or driven across the street to their neighbors for year. The act of borrowing a cup of sugar has become a 45-minute mess.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
Not merely technically. There have been some whopping fines levied on individuals who have crossed and failed to report in. Some of those people live in towns on the border and have walked or driven across the street to their neighbors for year. The act of borrowing a cup of sugar has become a 45-minute mess.
It's all technical. There are also technical exemptions at some of them.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by gokeeper
Wow, thanks for sharing this, I might try to scan my nexus to see how it works next time, with passport on me of course
Yup Scan the back of the nexus card in the area where you usually put your passport in. Takes a couple of seconds but the system recognizes its a nexus card.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic

Nexus rules actually stipulate you’re still obligated to carry a passport on you.

Originally Posted by acse17
You're required to have your passport with you while crossing by air, so while technically you can skate by if all goes well, if you're flagged for secondary, you'll be at the mercy of the officer whether or not they kick you out of NEXUS.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course one shouldn't do this, but in an emergency being able to make the trip might be more important than staying in NEXUS.
Both TIMATIC and CBP say that you don't need a passport if you have your NEXUS card.

Destination - United States (US)

Passport
Passport required.

Passport Exemptions:
Nationals of Canada with a NEXUS Card embarking in Canada or USA.
Passengers with an Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States (Form I-512).
Nationals of Canada with a temporary passport.
All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or a NEXUS card when departing from Canada. Please be advised that if arriving in the United States on a flight not pre-cleared by the CBP in Canada, Global entry kiosks cannot be used by passengers only holding a NEXUS card, and the regular inspection lanes have to be used.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...al-information

Last edited by samwise6222; Mar 18, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Nexus program rules state:
At all times, a member must carry his/her membership card, as well as all required travel and identification documents, including:
  • personal ID;
  • immigration or citizenship documents; and
  • any other documentation that is required to enter Canada (e.g.: a letter of consent from the parent/legal guardian not traveling with the child(ren).
Eligibility following violation:
  • May be eligible to (re)apply after one year has elapsed since the violation.
    NOTE: The one-year period begins from the date that the violation occurred.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/term-eng.html
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Is the OP a U.S. or Canadian citizen with an "enhanced" driver license? If so, he should be able to cross the border by train, bus, or car (including rental car) without a passport.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...e-%28edl%29%3F
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:20 pm

OP account status now shows "Suspended"

LOL.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
You can travel across the land border with just your NEXUS card.

But when flying, the answer is most likely no, for multiple reasons.

To enter the USA at the airport, you need your passport, the Global Entry machines require it, and any customs agent can/will ask you for it. Even if you can get through there without your passport, I think the gate agent can ask for it. Even if you get past THAT, you're likely to be asked for your passport when boarding the flight from the US back to Canada, and I've had my Nexus card rejected (either rightly or wrongly) in that situation multiple times before. Arriving back into Canada you could just use a NEXUS card.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:11 am

I was recently at the check in counter for a flight from Boston to Montreal, Air Canada. The man behind me did not have his passport with him “It is in DC” and was refused his boarding pass. He argued and argued, asked the staff to call the embassy, etc. He did not get on the plane. Apparently he was used to driving over the border sans passport and thought it okay to fly without it too.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Yes, you can do so illegally, at many places, by simply crossing the open border.

As far as legal options, yes, this is also possible. One of the most famous places to do this is at the Haskell Free Library and Opera House: https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...s-tiny-library Entering from the US is straightforward. Those entering from Canada are guaranteed safe passage, but they have to walk past some cameras and a US border guard, and leave the same way they came in (i.e. go back to Canada). But some immigrant families who have members who aren't able to cross into the US do meet here.

As far as options for entering the US and visiting more than just one building, yes, this is possible, by land. If you are a US citizen under 15 years of age, you can show your original birth certificate, consular report of birth abroad, or naturalization certificate. Those over 15 may present an enhanced driver's license or trusted traveler card (i.e. Global Entry) for access, again for travel by land only. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...2For-to-travel

For air travel, you'd have to present a NEXUS card in lieu of a passport. If you're not part of NEXUS, then you need a passport.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Also worth noting that like Canadian citizens and legal permanent residents are guaranteed entry to Canada the same does I believe hold for a US citizen at least.

If you can get to the border, they cant legally deny you entry. Depending upon time of day, mood of agent and what you have on you this might take 2 minutes or hours/days.

And of course there is no way your getting on a plane without a passport or Nexus. The chance of getting on a plane with only Nexus seems up for debate.

As an aside, I require my passport and PR to get on a plane to Canada. But Ive never had to show my passport once I get TO Canada Machines and agents alike are happy with the PR card.

Hopefully OP can report back once they are allowed to.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by jc94
Also worth noting that like Canadian citizens and legal permanent residents are guaranteed entry to Canada the same does I believe hold for a US citizen at least.
US Citizens are not guaranteed entry into Canada. They do have a right to enter the US of A.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
US Citizens are not guaranteed entry into Canada. They do have a right to enter the US of A.
Yup, that is what I meant. So if the OP is a US citizen in Canada they can return to the US wihout a passport. By land. With a potential delay.
OSSYULYYZ likes this.

Last edited by jc94; Mar 19, 2019 at 6:15 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jc94

Yup, that is what I meant. So if the OP is a US citizen in Canada they can return to the US wihout a passport. By land. With a potential delay.
If you are a US citizen, you should be able to enter by air as well, IF you can somehow board the flight. You'd have to convince the airline that you are a US citizen and therefore, they're not going to be fined and forced to transport you back.

Oh, forgot to mention that there is a second crossing point (other than the Haskell Free Library And Opera House) where one may cross into the US from Canada without a passport. And this one doesn't even require seeing a CBP officer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyder_...order_Crossing The town of Hyder, Alaska has no checkpoint whatsoever (there are no road connections between Hyder and the rest of the US). However, if taking the flight from Hyder to Ketchikan, one must go through an immigration and customs check, making this the only domestic flight I'm aware of that one must go through immigration and customs.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA MM
I learned something new yesterday. Prior to boarding my flight to YEG, the UA gate agent announced that all passengers must present a valid passport OR a Nexus card along with their boarding pass when boarding the flight. I asked the gate agent about this, stating I never heard this before. She mentioned it's not new but maybe most gate agents just mention a passport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.