FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   YYZ international connection (on separate PNRs) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1952348-yyz-international-connection-separate-pnrs.html)

syalam Jan 22, 2019 7:46 am

YYZ international connection (on separate PNRs)

Hi,

I'm transiting through YYZ, final destination in the US, but the flights are on separate PNRs. I have a flight from Asia with final destination YYZ, scheduled to arrive 7pm (on a Friday in February) and then a separate flight from YYZ to ORD on AC departing at 8.55PM. Will I need to go through Canadian passport control and then US passport control before getting to my AC flight?

Extra info: I hold a Singapore passport, have global entry, and am entering the US on a H visa.

EDIT: Coming in on a business class flight on Philippines Airlines

JimInOhio Jan 22, 2019 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Jing Xian Ng (Post 30685784)
Hi,

I'm transiting through YYZ, final destination in the US, but the flights are on separate PNRs. I have a flight from Asia with final destination YYZ, scheduled to arrive 7pm (on a Friday in February) and then a separate flight from YYZ to ORD on AC departing at 8.55PM. Will I need to go through Canadian passport control and then US passport control before getting to my AC flight?

Extra info: I hold a Singapore passport, have global entry, and am entering the US on a H visa.

I don't think anyone can begin to answer without knowing your inbound airline. Is it AC?

syalam Jan 22, 2019 9:46 am

Oops I forgot about that. Coming in on Philippines Airlines - jumped on the premium fare deals from this thread to get a business class flight in.

jc94 Jan 22, 2019 10:29 am

This is unlikely to work. You have to change terminal from 3 to 1 after clearing Canadian immigration, collect any luggage and clear customs, then once in T1 drop any bags off, clear US immigration and security.

Is this doable in 2 hours? Sure. Likely? No - even without checked bags and not being familiar with YYZ won’t help (there’s a monorail you can take).

I would never try this on seperate PNRs sorry.
Can you change your ORD flight to the next day, there are hotels with free shuttles as low as $110.

Especially given it’s February.

Often1 Jan 22, 2019 10:50 am

Presuming that OP means separate tickets in addition to PNR's as both carriers will issue their own PNR, this is not a connection. I would not book such a connection because the risk of a no-show is 100% on OP. Rather, I would have advised the overnight with an onwards ticket the next day.

However, as this is already booked, OP might as well try for his onwards flight. If he makes it, so much the better. If he does not, he can then find a hotel room and may need to purchase a new ticket. But, if he changes, it is likely that the change fee alone will exceed the cost of a new ticket and a hotel room. So, not worth paying a change fee + hotel room.

jc94 Jan 22, 2019 11:26 am

Only issue with buying a new ticket is there may be limited options especially if weather is bad. Also a next day YYZ ORD ticket is about $300 on AC. A ticket a
month out is maybe half that.

That’s in Y. In J it’s $1500 vs $320. But varies based on loads.

Also if the ticket is in full Y or J it could have free changes. But if it’s AC Standard or so then I would agree that a $200 change fee may not be worth it.

Might be worth asking what it would cost to cancel and use the credit to book next day too.

syalam Jan 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks for everyone's input. I just booked the onward flight today, so I actually am within the 24 hour window to cancel and rebook, which is what I'm going to do now.