Wiki Posts
Search

Fast track immigration at YYZ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Fast track immigration at YYZ?

Hi guys, not sure where was the best place to post this but I have a question.
In a few days I will be on KLM business class from Amsterdam to Toronto arriving at 340ish. I have a 545 flight on United first from YYZ to ORD on a separate ticket. First question is that is there an airside transfer from terminal 3 to terminal 1? Based on my research, it seems KLM is in terminal 3 and United is at terminal 1 so I would need to do that. Also is there an airside transfer desk for United? If the answer to the above are no, then onto the next part? Does YYZ have any sort of fast track immigration for business class passengers at terminal 3, because otherwise it seems I'll have to clear immigration at YYZ through normal lanes and I don't know how long lines are on a Tuesday afternoon, then take a train to T1, then go through US pre-clearance since my flight is to the US. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I know it's not good planning on my part to have only 2 hours between arrival and departure on separate tickets with international flights, but I had to be back in LA the same evening so booked the best option I could. Does being in premium cabin for those flights help at all with avoiding any other airport-related lines with immigration, security, etc. Any help greatly appreciated! Haven't been to YYZ since I was very very young so I'm very oblivious to the way things go there. Thanks!!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Hi guys, not sure where was the best place to post this but I have a question.
In a few days I will be on KLM business class from Amsterdam to Toronto arriving at 340ish. I have a 545 flight on United first from YYZ to ORD on a separate ticket. First question is that is there an airside transfer from terminal 3 to terminal 1? Based on my research, it seems KLM is in terminal 3 and United is at terminal 1 so I would need to do that. Also is there an airside transfer desk for United? If the answer to the above are no, then onto the next part? Does YYZ have any sort of fast track immigration for business class passengers at terminal 3, because otherwise it seems I'll have to clear immigration at YYZ through normal lanes and I don't know how long lines are on a Tuesday afternoon, then take a train to T1, then go through US pre-clearance since my flight is to the US. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I know it's not good planning on my part to have only 2 hours between arrival and departure on separate tickets with international flights, but I had to be back in LA the same evening so booked the best option I could. Does being in premium cabin for those flights help at all with avoiding any other airport-related lines with immigration, security, etc. Any help greatly appreciated! Haven't been to YYZ since I was very very young so I'm very oblivious to the way things go there. Thanks!!
Here's a good website which covers all conceivable connection at YYZ. Bottom line is no airside transfer.

https://www.torontopearson.com/connecting.aspx#
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
No priority immigration in Canada unless you have Nexus. That said, the automated kiosks are said to have reduced wait times though YMMV (potentially lots of international flights from resort destinations coming in that time IIRC). If you have GE, it'll speed up process through U.S. preclearance and maybe security (take your GE card) - the regional FC tcket may get you priority security though never sure how much that is worth - and you may need to go to a check in desk.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Get Nexus for the future - we are U.S citizens with Nexus (with iris scans) - flew AMS-YYZ in October & we were through immigration & customs in less than 15 minutes, and that includes an almost 10 minute walk to the special Nexus/Crew clearance area.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rubesl
Get Nexus for the future - we are U.S citizens with Nexus (with iris scans) - flew AMS-YYZ in October & we were through immigration & customs in less than 15 minutes, and that includes an almost 10 minute walk to the special Nexus/Crew clearance area.
I haven't bothered with Nexus since the regular immigration line moves very quickly. At YYZ arriving internationally, I am usually 25 minutes from wheels down to inside the car.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys thanks for all the replies (so far). Nexus should be on my to do list as this certainly won't be the last time through Canada. So then I hopefully shouldn't be waiting too long in T3's immigration arriving from KLM? I have a US passport and Indian Overseas citizen card. Also does T1 have a gold track lane even for US bound flights? With arrival at 340 (assuming no delays) and a departure at 545 from a different terminal, I'm just trying to minimize any further hold-ups which I would imagine most is in immigration, and T1 US pre-clearance. Once again, bad planning on my part, but I had to be back in LA the same evening as when I reach YYZ.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Are you bringing checked luggage?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smallmj
Are you bringing checked luggage?
Nope, only carry on. When dealing with separate tickets, I never bring checked luggage.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Nope, only carry on. When dealing with separate tickets, I never bring checked luggage.
You probably won't have any trouble then, unless your first flight is very late.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smallmj
You probably won't have any trouble then, unless your first flight is very late.
Alright, I'm holding you to your word!!! No, just kidding, of course. Thank you very much for your help seriously. So a few takeaways as I travel day after (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Immigration Tuesday afternoon should generally be mild as YYZ has good immigration times and the self serve kiosks should help alleviate Canadian citizens. Then a question arises: does US and Canada citizens use same immigration line otherwise or US falls under the general and board "non-canadian passport" line at YYZ?

2. Pre-clearance will be the next thing that takes time but having an F class ticket and star gold status to use hopefully some gold track line or priority lane should speed things up.

PS: Did some research and the only T3 flights arriving in the vicinity of mine are: Jet 77W from Amsterdam 1 hour before, Aer Lingus A333 from DUB 10 min before, and Etihad 77W from AUH 15 min before. This hopefully doesn't jam things up but who knows..

Thanks again for your help and looking forward to hearing back, cheers!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
I haven't bothered with Nexus since the regular immigration line moves very quickly. At YYZ arriving internationally, I am usually 25 minutes from wheels down to inside the car.
Unless one has bags

Alright, I'm holding you to your word!!! No, just kidding, of course. Thank you very much for your help seriously. So a few takeaways as I travel day after (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Immigration Tuesday afternoon should generally be mild as YYZ has good immigration times and the self serve kiosks should help alleviate Canadian citizens. Then a question arises: does US and Canada citizens use same immigration line otherwise or US falls under the general and board "non-canadian passport" line at YYZ?

2. Pre-clearance will be the next thing that takes time but having an F class ticket and star gold status to use hopefully some gold track line or priority lane should speed things up.

PS: Did some research and the only T3 flights arriving in the vicinity of mine are: Jet 77W from Amsterdam 1 hour before, Aer Lingus A333 from DUB 10 min before, and Etihad 77W from AUH 15 min before. This hopefully doesn't jam things up but who knows..

Thanks again for your help and looking forward to hearing back, cheers!
If arriving at T3 they have the new customs machines. So get the app (link in my thread about the lack of forms) and that may speed things up.

Memorize info on how to find the monorail. Don’t be afraid to ask someone, it’s not that well sign posted in my opinion (though I tend to go the other way).

Don't assume all arriving flights will be on time

Oh and once you get to T1 I find it easier to take the elevator to departures as opposed to the poorly placed escalators.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.