Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Going to China next week - any issues for Canadian travelers to China

Old Dec 25, 18, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum

With the political situation between China and Canada (including 2 detained Canadians in China) - is it safe for us to go to China - we plan to leave in one week and stay in Beijing and Shanghai for 7 nights. We do have a multi-entry visa. We are travelling by ourselves - not with a group. We will be staying at the Fairmont at both cities.

How should we conduct ourselves in China - to minimize the risk for us to get into trouble?
Old Dec 25, 18, 9:09 am

Perfectly safe. The two subjects that got arrested got so for good reasons. As a tourist, you'll not be a target (unless the whole situation gets out of hand, which I doubt very much so) - even US Americans, despite their "gouvernments" terrible actions against China, are having no issues to travel freely through China. Let's not forget who started the whole thing.. unless Canada is escalating it further, I doubt anything will affect ANY regular traveller at all.
Old Dec 25, 18, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Perfectly safe. The two subjects that got arrested got so for good reasons. As a tourist, you'll not be a target (unless the whole situation gets out of hand, which I doubt very much so) - even US Americans, despite their "gouvernments" terrible actions against China, are having no issues to travel freely through China. Let's not forget who started the whole thing.. unless Canada is escalating it further, I doubt anything will affect ANY regular traveller at all.
Please explain the good reasons for those two Canadians being detained?

In all seriousness, OP if you're going as a tourist and your visas are in order, I see not reason to worry at this time.

If you're a high profile individual or have significant business interests in China, then perhaps I would avoid non essential travel at this time.
Old Jan 1, 19, 8:13 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
Wow. No evident bias here. Meng Wanzhou is alleged to have committed some legitimate crimes and she will go to trial to face those charges. Meanwhile, China understands it can't punish the US, so will focus its efforts by bullying a smaller nation. As it did with its dispute Norway a few years ago, China will posture and fluff about for a while before returning to more sensible behaviour.

I agree there should be little risk to the average traveler, despite the political nonsense being exhibited.
Old Jan 4, 19, 6:19 am

Programs: AC, SPG, HH
Thirteen Canadians have been detained in China since the high-profile arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou....The United States issued a new travel advisory for China on Thursday, warning its citizens they could be detained without charge if they go there....The Conservatives are urging the government to issue a new travel warning for China in light of the detentions on Dec. 10 of Mr. Kovrig... and Mr. Spavor.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...utives-arrest/

Let us know if/when you make it back!

Search this Thread