Chinese currency -need it by next Monday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

Leaving Tuesday for China with family for a vacation in one week from today.

I thought the central branch of RBC in Ottawa would have currency on hand - but they have to order it - they will see if they can have it at the branch by Monday.

If not, what are my options?
Airport currency exchange would likely give a poor exchange rate.

I assume there is no ATM in Ottawa dispensing Chinese currency.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:48 am

Why not simply use an ATM on Arrival in China? Usually you get crap rates when exchanging foreign currencies in your home country vs. getting the currency locally on Arrival.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
PS-two of us are leaving via YYZ next week and 2 of us are leaving via YUL. Any ATMs in the international sections of those airports that dispense such currency?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Why not simply use an ATM on Arrival in China? Usually you get crap rates when exchanging foreign currencies in your home country vs. getting the currency locally on Arrival.
One of us works at a firm with contracts with the federal government. A security officer in that company suggested not to use ATMs in China- due to security or privacy issues with ATMs there - ie the secure information in our bank accounts may be compromised through unauthorized access of our ATM/debit card.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
One of us works at a firm with contracts with the federal government. A security officer in that company suggested not to use ATMs in China- due to security or privacy issues with ATMs there - ie the secure information in our bank accounts may be compromised through unauthorized access of our ATM/debit card.
While skimming definitely exists in China, it's much less common than in other areas of the world (I've been using my CC frequently in China without ever any problems, while it somehow got copied/cloned in Malaysia, for example - a country I would be MUCH more careful than China)

Basically, CC fraud / abuse can happen anywhere in the world. China is definitely NOT a place where CC scam is extremely dangerous, and if you're using ATMs at Banks (or the airport, or other heavily frequented areas) you can further minimize the risk of any CC fraud.

So I'd ignore your friend's warning.. you'd lose out BIG as compared to simply use an ATM (plus, what if you spend more money than expected? And hotels will require a CC in most cases anyway..)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I thought China was one of the few places where it's ok to use banks to exchange currency on arrival since exchange rates are regulated by the government? I may be mistaken
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pewpew
I thought China was one of the few places where it's ok to use banks to exchange currency on arrival since exchange rates are regulated by the government? I may be mistaken
Banks at airports usually tack on a Y50 service charge for currency exchange.

As others have said, ATMs are a complete no brainer.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:10 pm

I have no experience with Ottawa, but in Toronto currency exchange places in Chinatown or malls geared towards the Chinese community will have Chinese currency on hand.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: oneworld *A,Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Leaving Tuesday for China with family for a vacation in one week from today.

I thought the central branch of RBC in Ottawa would have currency on hand - but they have to order it - they will see if they can have it at the branch by Monday.

If not, what are my options?
Airport currency exchange would likely give a poor exchange rate.

I assume there is no ATM in Ottawa dispensing Chinese currency.
Not sure how much RMB you need , but you may try to call HSBC bank in Ottawa to see have inventory.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ncncyoo
Not sure how much RMB you need , but you may try to call HSBC bank in Ottawa to see have inventory.
There is no point getting Chinese currency before going to China.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Banks are generally useless for foreign currency other than American dollars, pound sterling or euros. There are several foreign currency exchanges in Ottawa where you can likely acquire Chinese currency. Google "foreign exchange Ottawa" to find locations.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
In Toronto here are the places that you can get RMB:
  • Old Chinatown (Spadina/Dundas)
  • Pacific Mall.
  • Yorkdale Shopping Centre
  • Sherway Gardens
  • Fairview Mall

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.