Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ogg-yvr-yyz. Do we pick up luggage for customs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan, delta, aa

So we have 1.5 hrs. In YVR, we are Canadians with Nexus coming home from Maui. It will be 9.30 p.m. when we arrive. The Nexus part goes very well, but do we need to pick up suitcases for Customs? And do we go through security again? If so, we are wondering if we should buy Economy Plus for the Maui flight, to be closer to the front. However, that does not include Preferred Baggage handling, right? So, it looks like baggage is the sticking point. Thanks for any input. I thought i saw something recently that if you are coming back ftom the States, you do not have to collect your luggage for Customs....
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
If this is Air Canada, bags will be transferred automatically. There is a connections bus you can take that also bypasses security, but not sure if it operates at 2130 (If it does, you will go to the 'back right' when you go down the escalators into the arrival hall - do not go to the NEXUS machines. If it's too late, then you can use NEXUS but will need to exit back into the terminal and re-clear security).

If this is WestJet, I assume it's the same process, but not sure as I've never flown them in this type of itinerary.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Yes, it is Air Canada. Wow, that is great that we do not have to pick up bags. I will hope the bus is running. Security is the wordt part. Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by D582
If this is Air Canada, bags will be transferred automatically. There is a connections bus you can take that also bypasses security, but not sure if it operates at 2130 (If it does, you will go to the 'back right' when you go down the escalators into the arrival hall - do not go to the NEXUS machines. If it's too late, then you can use NEXUS but will need to exit back into the terminal and re-clear security).

If this is WestJet, I assume it's the same process, but not sure as I've never flown them in this type of itinerary.
Yes, same process for WS. Just flew back from HNL earlier this week and was able to take the domestic transfer bus which drops you off at the main C gate hall.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

So does this mean that the baggage is never checked by customs? Also, why are we not using the Nexus machines? Do you mean we need to go through the regular immigration line to access the domestic bus? Given our short time frame, i want to make sure i have got this right.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AC 75K
When I did the transfer at 730am it took ~30 minutes to get from gate to gate. Very quick. Your 90 minute connection will be fine. There are YVR staff who will direct you to the connections line.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Update please re Air Canada ogg to YVR, connecting to YYZ

Almost time to go home. Still unclear on process. I think the connections bus will not be running at 21.30, but does anyone know how to check? The info i see has buses stopping an hour before thst. So, to recap....if the bus is running, we should not use Nexus. If it is not running we might as well use Nexus, but then have to go through Security. It seems you are penalized for using Nexus. Thanks for any help....
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:22 pm

Thanks to everyone for their input on this subject. It's raised my curiosity as I'll be arriving on CX from HKG at around 9:25 p.m. and transferring to an AC flight to YYZ. I'll have NEXUS, a mobile boarding pass, and only carry on bags for the one hour 50 minute connection. Would I be able to, and should I try to use Quick Connect or just use NEXUS and re-enter security for the domestic flight...?

This will be my first time transferring like this at YVR as I usually transfer at YYZ which I can practically do in my sleep now, even though I'm usually going from T3 to T1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.